Penetration Test German Kinetics 220 Grain Broadhead

Keep posting any updates. I love this stuff. I agree with going north of 1000 grains for the beast! I saw Tom Miranda shoot a hippo and too much arrow showing after the shot although it was a good shot and killed the animal cleanly. I also agree you need to check actual speed. There are many bows that are 10 lbs lighter in draw weight than other bows but shoot faster. Plus once you get sufficient speed stability and accuracy are more important. I am using fmj DG 300 spine with rope, so no reason to try the weight tubes with your set up. I have some 5 and 8 grain tubes on order as well and will be doing more testing. I'm trying a few different fletching. Here are my 4 vane 3" helicals I just picked up tonight. When your arrow weighs 925 grains you can get away with hot pink! Also a tip of my hat to breast cancer which has impacted my family in past years. Take a look at 300 grain 2 blade VPA's. Solid as a brick wall!
image.jpeg

Ya, when you're big enough - pink is actually cool! :)

I meant to say no reason Not to try the weight tubes. I may put some of the 8 grain per inch tubes in my regular FMJ arrows as well and see how this works. This would similar weight to the DG fmj's with rope. I want to stay at the approx 210 fps I am getting with the 925 grain combo. Not sure heavier with my setup will benefit. My MR5 is maxing out at 68 lbs. I may put a few twist on the string to get a few more lbs. My 50 year old shoulders are almost maxed out as well :) LOL. Both your bows are fast so I am curious what they will launch your arrow.

Shot my new helical 4 x 3 inch vanes. tonight. The 200 and 250 grain field point were more accurate and consistent than the 300 grain points. I'll shoot again tomorrow to verify and will also try the arrows fletched with 3 x 4 inch vanes. I was a little surprised the 200's did better then the 300's. I thought the higher FOC on the 300's would make them more stable.

Maybe the 300's are softening the spine to much on the shafts. The heavier the points the weaker it makes the spine.

Shot both 4x3 inch vanes and 3x4 inch vanes tonight. Again the 200 and 250 grain field points shot better then the 300 grain points. All good tight repeatable shots. Didn't see a difference in the vanes. Now waiting for 200 and 250 broadheads to arrive for testing. Mr5 needs some tuning to correct a 1" right tear when paper shot, but arrows are hitting their mark. Hoping this correction will improve penetration. They are already passing thru the full block, but every little bit helps. You can't have too much penetration!

I think a smart man told you the 200 or 250 would be better.:whistle:

So I got the arrow / broad head combos from Grizzly Stik - now I'll see what shoots best, and what bow shoots them best.

Total arrow weight, including head (315 grain Nanook and Ashby) is roughly 1,100 grains. Now to see how they shoot, and what bow shoots best.

arrows.jpg
arrows 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron,

Arrow and broadhead combo looks great. You sure you want to shoot that and ding it up? LOL. Just frame the and hang them on the wall! Let me know what you what speed you are getting out of your two bows with this arrow. Wait until you hear the thud the heavy arrows make when they hit home.

Here is a pic of my combo. Top is approx 890 grains with 250 grain VPA and bottom is 840 grains with 200 grain VPA. I put in a typical 100 grain field point in the pic to show size difference. After a little bow tuning they are now flying at 214 fps and 220 fps, respectively. I have not shot broadheads yet. I just got them and need to get another target to put in front of my Rinehart target. Field points are already making it thru the single target. The two arrow weights really fly very similar, very little drop difference or accuracy difference. The two different helical vanes also seem similar. I'll see what flies more consistent with the two broadheads and then go with that combo.

image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be surprised if the Nanook penetrates as well as the Ashby, heads with vents have more friction and tissue drags across the vents.

So, how's this for interesting? Shot the 1,100 grain arrows today at the bow shop - through the Chrono. The 81lb Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo sent them out at 253 fps, and the 70lb PSE Full Throttle sent them out at the exact same speed - 253 fps!!

Pays to check for yourself!

So, how's this for interesting? Shot the 1,100 grain arrows today at the bow shop - through the Chrono. The 81lb Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo sent them out at 253 fps, and the 70lb PSE Full Throttle sent them out at the exact same speed - 253 fps!!

But which one do you shoot better? Pse are some fast shooting bows but I will take the draw of my hoyt and the ease of shooting them over a pse. That is still some good speed for shooting a 1100 grain arrow.

That is very fast for a 1100 grain arrow. Wow! That is why you can't go off info that says use an 80 lb bow. Not all shoot the same. You are good to go as far as momentum and KE.

I don't think the Hoyt turbos are known for smoothness as the turbo models are their speed bows. I just shot the new Hoyt Defiant which was smooth and nice, but the pro shop said the turbo version was on the harsh side and didn't really recommend it. I'm not really surprised the speeds were similar as the full throttle is known for max speed at all costs. But I would have guessed the 80 lb Hoyt would be slightly higher being their speed model. I assume no valley on the PSE?

Have you shot at a target yet? Let me know if the Blazers stabilize that flying spear! LOL. 40 yards is where you can see a difference in stability

Ya guys, I simply put a few through the chrono. I am going back tomorrow to get everything tuned up, I'll let you know how it goes after that.

Any updates on how these heavy arrows are shooting in your bow? Curious if the blazers are stabilizing them or not?

Any updates on how these heavy arrows are shooting in your bow? Curious if the blazers are stabilizing them or not?

The 2" blazer vanes stabilize the arrows just fine! Have been traveling a lot, but plan to spend plenty of time shooting next week.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: very fast 1100 grains arrow...what is your draw length?

Shot a PSE Full Throttle with an 815 gr Easton Dangerous Game. Bow weight checked in at 70.94 lbs with 29" draw. Chrono showed 233 ft per second but guys at bow shop were sure it was showing 10-15 ft per second slow. Always seems to be a problem with chronographs with me. Anyway, lets say it was shooting 250 ft per second. Kinetic energy calculator says 113.13 ft lbs. THEORETICALLY, suggests it generates enough energy to kill an elephant! Your thoughts..................

............. Chrono showed 233 ft per second but guys at bow shop were sure it was showing 10-15 ft per second slow. ..........................

Perhaps they should just eyeball it and guess the speed for you. :rolleyes:

If it is shooting 233 repeatedly then use that number and do your calculations.

I think you might be a little light for chasing something with thick grey hide. IMHO. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg