Penetration Test German Kinetics 220 Grain Broadhead

The longer the arrow the softer the spine, the heavier the the point the softer the spine, tune the arrow to the bow.

The heavier the broadhead the stiffer the spine needs to be. The best penetration will occur when the full weight of the arrow is exactly behind the broadhead on impact.

Brickburn - I would be very interested in your complete setup? I took a lion in Tanzania last year with my bow, but frankly they are not difficult to kill/penetrate - and no special setup is really required.

Now however, I am hunting buffalo & hippo with a bow late next month - and I am still searching for the right stuff? I've had several good friends refer me to the German Kinetics heads, I have some on the way now. But any additional input you, or anyone else may have - would be greatly appreciated?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you been in contact with Alaska Bowhunting Supply, their equipment has a proven track record on African big game.

Brickburn - I would be very interested in your complete setup? I took a lion in Tanzania last year with my bow, but frankly they are not difficult to kill/penetrate - and no special setup is really required.

Congrats on the lion with a bow.

Aaron the following specs:

Make: APA INNOVATIONS
Model: BLACK MAMBA XL 7.0, 84 lb draw,
Arrows: 7595 Gold Tips XT Hunter, length 30.5 inches with inserts (5 grains per inch) 756 grains
Broadheads: 220 grain German Kinetics 2 blade.
Three 4 inch (real feather) fletches set in a helix pattern for stability.

The plastic fletch would not allow the arrow to settle down and I was having issues with the broad head pushing the arrow.
That large solid broad head acted like a sail and also the proportional FOC weight created some stability issues early on in testing. Sorted with the feather fletch.
Hope that helps.

Now, I would suggest a heaver arrow.

Brickburn - thank you! My arrow/broad head set up on the lion was only 650 grains, with a total 93lbs of KE - definitely going for a heavier combo on this one.

Good luck. Look forward to the hunting report.

Brickburn - One additional question. I continue to hear great things regarding the German Kinetics heads, but I am also being told to use only a single-bevel head (which the German Kinetics are not) what's your thoughts?

I am not sure why anyone would be concerned about the bevel.
To get the weight you have to have a thicker broad head and I am not sure you could pull off a single bevel properly with those thicker blades. (not proven out, just my thoughts)

I wanted well balanced, cut on contact heavy broad heads that would help create a good FOC balance in the arrow as suggested in all the field tests conducted on Buffalo.

I think some articles have talked about single bevel being bone splitters. They claim the opposite bevels twist and split. Not sure if this is true or not.

I'm building a heavy arrow now using rope inside a 15.5 GPI DG FMJ arrow. Should have my first few done shortly. I am putting helical feathers on this from the start due to the experience/advice that Brickburn had with his set up. I'll post info and pics shortly. Just bought a scale and some heavy field points (200, 250, 300 grains) for initial testing. Once I see what flies best I'll put on the same weight 2 blade. I'm going to use 2 blade double bevel VPA's.

Keep the experiences coming with your set ups. I want to see how this evolves.

Lee , I've had good luck putting rubber vacuum hose from auto parts stores inside shafts, the hose comes in various diameters. On some that I've played around with using rope or cord after a few shots the rope kept condensing and getting shorter until it was an inch or so shorter than the shaft.

I posted an update on my "Building a heavy Arrow thread". Testing should start this weekend!

All I know for sure now is, I spent a lot of time on the phone over the past week with Garrett - at Grizzly Stik. As I've mentioned previously - I'll be hunting buffalo / hippo in late July, both with a bow. I have two different bow setups - a PSE "Full Throttle" maxed out at a little over 70lbs, and a Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo maxed out at 81lbs.

Garrett and Grizzly Stik have been tremendously helpful - to say the very least. Anyone looking for help / equipment for a DG setup should definitely consider giving them a call - I'm very thankful for his help.

So, early next week he's sending me 4 arrows / 2 broad heads for testing - all specs based 100% on his recommendations. Two are his "old" arrows, and two are the "new" arrows. He's sending me arrows/Ashby 315 gr heads for a total weight of 1,050 grains - with 2" Blazer vanes. He's also recommending I use the HOYT at 81lbs, but I told him my plan was to try both bows and see which shoots best, check them on the chronograph - do the math, etc.

Aaron. Good luck with your testing. I'm also in the testing phase but my arrow combo's are comparable light weights at 875 and 925 grains. I'm now putting on a helical fletch instead of the Blazers based on info posted on AH and stabilizing the big 2 blade heads.

Lee - I think it also depends on what you are planning to hunt? I'm not near as concerned about the penetration on the buffalo, as I am on the hippo - he's 3 times the animal that the buffalo is. Thus the reason for going over 1,000 grains - recommended by Garrett.

Yes, I thought about that too - regarding the Blazer vanes. Garrett seems to think its ok - so I suppose I'll give it a try first.

I'd be going with those 1000 grain arrows on the Hippo for sure.
That bloody hide is so thick, I'd want to make sure.

I'll bet you have to settle on the 81 lb bow. Use enough Gun, right! :)

Interested to see the results.

Brickburn - Ya, I'm interested to see too. Of course PSE and others tell me how much faster the "Full Throttle" is at 70lbs than the competition, even at 81lbs? I'd be lying if I say I know - as I have yet to shoot the PSE's at all.

I was going to get a 90lb bow from Hoyt, until I was talked into these PSE's.

I agree as to the arrow weight on the hippo. I've shot plenty of hippos in the past - they are an unbelievably tough / thick skinned animal.

I know you will skip all the claims and test the bows/arrows/broadheads for yourself.
That is how I started this whole thread.
Proof comes from drawing your bow and throwing your own arrows.

Yes, I totally agree! I'm even fixing up some of my FMJ - DG's with weighted inserts too, just to see what they do also. Although I am sure I'll use the equipment from Grizzly Stik for this hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg