Pelican Vault Case

Coues106

AH member
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a rifle case for travel. Don't see myself traveling outside of the continental U.S. to hunt more than once or twice to Alaska, South Africa, and the U.K. I know pelican has a great reputation for their hard cases and have used some loaners a time or two on my flights to Arizona. I'm noticing that their Vault line of cases is very affordable and was wondering if anyone here has experience with them and how they hold up on the airlines? Thanks for your time, and I'm looking forward to reading the responses.

I have the Pelican 1750 and have used it on 3 safaris to South Africa. I packed it with my 375 H&H double rifle and my M70 300 winmag for the first two trips. Last year I packed my 416 Rigby Big Game and the 375 double. Great travel case and no issues. It's a bit heavy when loaded with two rifles but the wheels make it very easy to manage. Just be sure to buy TSA approved locks.

Do not use TSA locks…dammit read everything posted over the last 8 years…NO TSA LOCKS….who in the world recommends TSA lock on your gun case… read the rules frmom TSA. So tired of reading some misinformation to a newbie. I have Nine trips to Africa..No TSA locks.

Do not use TSA locks…dammit read everything posted over the last 8 years…NO TSA LOCKS….who in the world recommends TSA lock on your gun case… read the rules frmom TSA. So tired of reading some misinformation to a newbie. I have Nine trips to Africa..No TSA locks.

Amazing the amount of TSA locks I saw on gun cases over there though. Apparently lots of people don't get the message.

I used a Vault to bring an M1910 Mannlicher from Dallas to Germany. No issues and I still use it for everyday use.

You do not need TSA locks. Use Brinks, Master locks. Any lock that give a snug fit on your gun case is best. I have never used a TSA lock on ammo case either. Traveled 10 times to Africa locks never an issue!

I like mine. It seems to hold up to airline abuse well. The wheels are a plus after having carried a bone wheeled case through San Antonio airport and Denver airport.

For long guns, Pelican makes 4 levels of cases...Protector, Storm, Air and Vault. And for the most part they are in that order.

Protector offers the most protection and is the strongest but at the cost of being the most expensive and heavy. Call it a "no compromise" hard case.

The Storm saves a bit on weight and cost, but with a little less protection. How much protection I'm sure can be measured in a lab, but will certainly be tested by baggage handlers.

The Air case is one more step towards a lighter case with slightly less protection. I will also say they don't offer a true long gun case in this style. There are a few members here (@Ed Lally) who have takedown rifles in a Pelican Air case with custom made foam. The advantage being that it doesn't LOOK like a rifle case. Lastly, there is no rating on Air case being weather resistant or watertight.

The Vault series...again another step in making a hard case more affordable, but now this case is "weather resistant". The Protector and Storm are both listed as "watertight".

Decisions, decisions, decisions. We all have to make them if we choose to travel with firearms. I will only say that I've never heard anyone complain about how much their rifle case cost when their firearms arrived in good condition. My wife and I choose to travel (relatively) light with each of us having a single Pelican Protector 1700 case, each with just one firearm.

FYI - You are just scratching the surface with this thread. There are about a million other choices out there in the polymer case world, not to mention all the aluminum options. Do a search and take a look at what other members have posted about some of these cases and you will get a feel for how well they perform.

Looking at purchasing a rifle case for travel. Don't see myself traveling outside of the continental U.S. to hunt more than once or twice to Alaska, South Africa, and the U.K. I know pelican has a great reputation for their hard cases and have used some loaners a time or two on my flights to Arizona. I'm noticing that their Vault line of cases is very affordable and was wondering if anyone here has experience with them and how they hold up on the airlines? Thanks for your time, and I'm looking forward to reading the responses.
All Pelican cases will hold up well on airlines. The Vault and the Protector are equally good and will serve you well for many years. My two Gun protector case has literally been around the world and other than the typical scuff marks from the baggage handlers it’s in great shape. The Vault looks cool but maybe I am a purist as I really prefer the Protector case. Always compare size and weight when deciding on anything for air travel. I do think the Vault’s new latch design is worth taking a look at.
Philip

That is your opinion. I will only use TSA locks as I have been separated from my gun and they needed in. If they can’t get in your gun stays. They will cut your locks and then you need replacements. Some of you that have not figured out the system and have 4 locks (cut the extra holes off: see post So They Want A Lock In Each Hole) https://www.africahunting.com/threads/so-they-want-a-lock-in-each-hole.39058/
that would need replacing.
We have hashed this out over and over and everyone knows both sides by now.
I’ve been to Africa 16 times now, Europe, Asia, and now I take groups of a dozen or more hunters with me on safari. I advise heavy duty Snap Safe brand TSA locks on everything.
Regards,
Philip

I used a Vault V800 to carry a scoped bolt action and a double rifle to RSA then to Mozambique. I couldn't close it when both rifles were cased inside, but it did fine without using soft cases. They are made to told guns very tightly, so don't cut the foam.

Remove the bolt from a bolt action rifle or it will punch through the foam.

I used 4 of the largest and strongest Master Locks that I could get through the holes. All keyed alike and definitely not TSA approved locks.

I just ordered a two gun PELICAN Protector case (tan) for taking my guns to TZ in a couple months. Thanks for the recommendations.

I use the storm cases and also have the protector series as well. They are both, in my opinion, great cases. On the use of TSA locks, you see varied opinions on the subject. Personally I don’t like the idea of just any TSA agent having access to my rifle case. I usually just place 2 extra sets of locks (one for each hole) all keyed the same inside of the case between the outer shell and the foam inserts (wrapped in a car shami) Along with a large card that indicates there are extra locks included in the case in the event that the locks have to be cut. I attach the card to a red ribbon tied to the locks to facilitate them finding the locks without having to take everything out of the case. I have only had locks cut once and they used a set to replace them. No problems. Just my experience.

JP

I used the V800 to carry two rifles: a bolt- action .416 on one side and a .470 NE double on the other. The case is designed to carry rifles very tightly, but I couldn't close it with both rifles in soft cases. I wrapped both rifles in cheesecloth and took the soft cases in my checked baggage.

I removed the bolt from the bolt action, or the bolt handle would have stuck through the foam.

The rifles didn't move at all from Atlanta to Dulles to JNB to TET and needed no adjustment after 300 miles of rough road to the concession, so I was very pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg