AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, British Columbia, Western US
I am needing some help. In South Africa at Africa Sky, there is a buffalo mount sitting on a pedestal that is a cast of a half skull. I would like to do something similar on one of my buffalo. I was thinking that maybe it could be easy to have it shipped in one of my crates I bring home thinking it that it might be cheaper to have made in Africa than anyone here locally in the States.

So my question is, does anyone know taxidermists in South Africa that can make that? I would entertain some US based options as well obviously in case it becomes my only option if you know of anyone that can do it.

PXL_20220614_174241274_Original.jpeg

I'm having my buffalo mounted at the trophy pros in africa and they are able to order the base.

I don't know who makes the base, but I sure like the looks of it! Is it cast metal or resin?

Good luck in your search.

I believe Splitting Image Taxidermy did that mount. If not, I know they can. Doug Cockcroft and his crew are top notch.

I am having my Buffalo I took in August done by Splitting Image Taxidermy and that is the mount I am doing.
Besides being very cool and unique, the reason I am doing a pedestal like this is because the bosses on my Buffalo are very big and if I did a wall mount you really could not see them that well.
Here is the photo of it on their website and catalogue.
Image1706391979.329817.jpg

View attachment 583634
Not in South Africa (or USA for that matter) but I have contact info if interested.
Wow those are super cool too.

Ironically my current crate is at Splitting Image and will soon be shipped so I reached out to see what they have to say about it and if they were the ones who mounted it. Thanks!

Ironically my current crate is at Splitting Image and will soon be shipped so I reached out to see what they have to say about it and if they were the ones who mounted it. Thanks!
I think the base is around 1200 USD.

Thanks. Splitting Image didn’t mount or sculpt the base. Not sure if the sculptor would sell just the base as he also sculpted the mannequins and mounted the buffalo; however, it might worth a shot although shipping from his country (Lithuania) might be obscene.

My buffalo is on a horn pedestal as well and I love it. If I ever mount another buffalo I plan to mount it the same but have it facing towards the one I have now, they will flank an old antique table facing each other in sort of a buffalo stare down contest!

Wyobull, good point

my bull hanging 8’ up on the wall looks ok. But you can’t see the boss. I have 6 floor pedestal mounts in the house. One being an elk on a rock formation taking up a lot of floor space. Some of my pedestals should have been on the wall and Buffalo, on the floor.
So I regret that the Buffalo isn’t a pedestal. That’s what makes a Buffalo European mount nice. It shows the bosses so well.

Last edited:
I realize you asked for SA ... but here's a base used by The Wildlife Gallery in the US

1706455065381.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaitlynBou

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you