Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Omay, Zimbabwe; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
Very nice. Hadn't considered one on a pole.
More like fence post than poles :) but yeah you can do some really neat things and get a lot of bang into a small area.

buffybr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, RMEF, Life member NRA and Manhatten (Montana) Wildlife Association
Hunted
USA(CO,MT,WY,AK,TX), Canada(NWT,Saskatchewan,Quebec), Zimbabwe(Matetsi), RSA(Limpopo,KZN,Free State,Eastern Cape), New Zealand, Mozambique, Azerbaijan
I started to do pedestal mounts a few years ago as I ran out of wall space. I made all of my pedestals myself, and most are made from cherry wood and a few from oak and alder.
qXYs1G4m.jpg
UFlUH73m.jpg

iQWOXJsm.jpg
NCTuTJ1m.jpg

I used the back skins from my Sables and Zebra for the panel inserts...
jcaoCIbm.jpg
rrwxk61m.jpg

Irn6wJ3m.jpg
BUJL1YZm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa

firehuntfish

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
Very impressive trophies and mounts everyone!

I only have 2 floor pedestals right now.. I love them and would do more when I get a bigger house. I am a bit challenged for wall and floor space as it is..

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
How does such a large head get stabilized? Is there lots of weight in the pedestal? Is it fastened to the floor?

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Can anyone tell me how such large heads get balanced on these pedestals? Some look like they are attached to the wall and not the pedestal?

Beck

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
All of my trophies are wall mounts, so I can't offer a whole lot of advice. I found some of these posts, and photos to be very helpful. I hope to see more. In particular, I have an eland, a red hartebeest, a wildebeest, a sable, and a gemsbuck on the way - any suggestions or photos would be quite welcome.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
How does such a large head get stabilized? Is there lots of weight in the pedestal? Is it fastened to the floor?
A rod is mounted through the top of the pedestal and a receptacle for it is in the base of the form. They are very stable.

Firebird

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
761D5AA9-0B7B-4D6D-9A8B-C9565F60DC64.jpeg

I also struggle with little ceiling syndrome so I do what I can on pedestals. I like the wild look of these burned out cedar stumps that have been sandblasted and preserved with either grey or natural stain based on the animal

J Mac 49

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life, SCI
Hunted
US, NZ
The pedestal mount worked perfectly for my Stag. The other mount pretty much took the prime wall space...

20210228_152759.jpg

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Once again I ask, how are the mounts balanced/fastened/to the pedestal?
Thank you.

rigbymauser

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Mr. Red Leg.

I don`t think there is enough room in your book cabinet for the two books I mailed you...:LOL
A rod is mounted through the top of the pedestal and a receptacle for it is in the base of the form. They are very stable.

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Omay), New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Thank you.
The mounts are relatively light, even my giraffe- fiberglass forms. Each mount has a metal rod extending from the bottom with a corresponding mounting point in the pedestals.

As the pedestals are frequently made of hard woods, they are heavy and can easily balance the weight of the fiberglass mount.

For wall pedestals, they are hung just like a regular shoulder mount. Usually the mounting point is centered on the back of the wall pedestal to ensure everything balances nicely.

Hope that helps.

buffybr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, RMEF, Life member NRA and Manhatten (Montana) Wildlife Association
Hunted
USA(CO,MT,WY,AK,TX), Canada(NWT,Saskatchewan,Quebec), Zimbabwe(Matetsi), RSA(Limpopo,KZN,Free State,Eastern Cape), New Zealand, Mozambique, Azerbaijan
Thank you.
My taxidermist uses two methods of attaching the mount to the pedestal: some forms have one or two 1/2" threaded rods coming out of the bottom of the form, and a hole (or holes) are drilled through the top on the pedestal and the threaded rod is secured with a bolt and flat washer.

The other method is that he secures a 1" I.D. square steel tube into the bottom of the form, then he attaches a section of 1" O.D. square steel that is welded to a section of threaded rod that is attached onto the top of the pedestal. The mount with the square steel tube then just slips over the square tube rod on the pedestal.

Pedestals are more stable on smooth, hard floors than they are on thick carpeted floors (which I have).

The mounts are usually attached toward the back of the pedestals so that you can use the maximum depth of the pedestal to support the animal. The pedestals that I made vary from a 15" base for most mounts to a 21" base for my Eland.

The pedestals that I made for both of my Sable mounts have 15" bases, however the second one that I made was a little tippy sideways, so I added a 3" extension around the base of that pedestal.
A7FgVWJl.jpg

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My taxidermist uses two methods of attaching the mount to the pedestal: some forms have one or two 1/2" threaded rods coming out of the bottom of the form, and a hole (or holes) are drilled through the top on the pedestal and the threaded rod is secured with a bolt and flat washer.

The other method is that he secures a 1" I.D. square steel tube into the bottom of the form, then he attaches a section of 1" O.D. square steel that is welded to a section of threaded rod that is attached onto the top of the pedestal. The mount with the square steel tube then just slips over the square tube rod on the pedestal.

Pedestals are more stable on smooth, hard floors than they are on thick carpeted floors (which I have).

The mounts are usually attached toward the back of the pedestals so that you can use the maximum depth of the pedestal to support the animal. The pedestals that I made vary from a 15" base for most mounts to a 21" base for my Eland.

The pedestals that I made for both of my Sable mounts have 15" bases, however the second one that I made was a little tippy sideways, so I added a 3" extension around the base of that pedestal.
View attachment 446841
Thank you for the detailed response. I'm sure my Taxidermist (who is my Cousin) is knowledgeable on these things but it doesn't hurt to get more input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Igorbbk

Latest profile posts

Tom Leoni wrote on Nyati67's profile.
Nyatyi, what's the tube dia. on your S&B?
Brian wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
CM,
That is nice work! I would like that cartridge slide for 50-110 Win. I would also use it for 500 S&W. Six cartridge loops would be perfect for me.

I will send you payment immediately.

Thank you,
Akunasek wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
do you still have the Ithaca 10 ga semi auto?
kdenn wrote on TROPHY SHIPPERS's profile.
Afternoon, going to South Africa August 22 hunting with wife. will need your help with trophies. what information and how soon do you need it? went to the website and completed the form but seems i have negative energy or something with electronic communication often.
thanks for your help
ken dennison
Docpk wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
I would but the Swarovski scope