PCR Testing

View attachment 405771

What is the health screening process on arrival in South Africa?

Upon arrival in the port of entry, the traveller will be screened for any COVID-19 symptoms or for contact with people who have been infected with the COVID-19 virus. Travellers will also need to provide proof of accommodation address should they need to self-quarantine at the time of arrival in the country. Should the traveller display any COVID-19–related symptoms or been in contact with an infected person(s), they will be expected to take a mandatory COVID-19 test. This test will be at the traveller’s cost. If the COVID-19 test comes back positive, the traveller will be subjected to a 10-day quarantine at a designated site. The accommodation at a quarantine site will be at the traveller’s cost.

What are the requirements for the 72 hour PCR test for COVID-19?
Travellers intending to visit the country will be expected to produce a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test that is not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa, and be presented before travelling to South Africa. This test must be conducted by a certified medical practitioner and should have the name and signature of the practitioner who conducted such a test.

Are home PCR tests allowed, which are sent to a testing laboratory?
No, PCR tests must be performed by a certified medical practitioner.

https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/covid-19/advice-for-travellers/

I arrived at OR Tambo (JNB) in mid-April. I'd had a PCR test 48 hours before my flight from Canada.

There was no - repeat, no - 'health screening process" upon my arrival in south Africa. No one asked me about COVID, or anything related to it, no one asked me where I would be staying, or anything else. Not even the nice woman at Immigration who smiled, checked my passport, stamped it and sent me on my way.

I had filled out an online form that South Africa requires (and which Qatar asked about, but didn't care to see), but again, no one asked anything about that.

I have a question and looking for an answer that could be 99.9% Correct.
I am leaving on Emirates on 6/27/2021 at 8:00PM arrive Dubai 14 hours later with a 14 hour layover. Then 8 hours to Jborg. If I get my PCR Cover 19 test on Friday 06/25/2021 by the time I get to Jborg I am well over the 72 hours. I realize you need a PCR Test within 72 hours of departure but do the officials in JoBorg mind if the 72 hours have expired when landed and going through customs?
The relevant date for South Africa is the date you leave your home country, and so long as the test is no older than 72 hours from that date, it doesn't matter that the test is more than 72 hours old when you land in South Africa.

PS. The chances of anyone stopping you as you "go through customs" are virtually nil in my experience. You just walk out through the Nothing to Declare line and away you go. Unlike North America, at least, you may not even realize you've just walked through customs - unless the x-ray of your baggage counts as Customs (but since the guy looking at the monitor seemed to be asleep, I'm not sure that it does).

We will be leaving SA from Joberg on 30 Aug 2021. Hoping to find a test facility in Joberg that meets all requirements for our outbound flights. I will ask our outfitter but not really his problem as we are touring for 2 weeks after hunt ends. Trip still a couple months out, really hoping things do not change except Trudopes mandated jail hotels upon our return. Any details/info/specifics from those there and on the ground with real life facts would help.
There is a COVID testing station in the departures area of the JNB airport. They can do a variety of tests - antibodies, rapid, and PCR. You can have the test done there and they will have the results to you within 24 hours (usually less). if you don't feel like going back to whatever hotel you're staying at while you wait for the results, the hotel attached to the airport is very nice and in April and May, the rooms were pretty cheap.

May 15th, there was a man standing before the immigration booths collecting only this form. It seems like RSA is leaving it up to the airlines to verify a valid time stamped covid test.

Attachments

• Covid19-Country-South Africa-Entry.pdf
    122.1 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for everyones Input. I am feeling much better I won't run into a problem when arriving in Joberg.

Do you mean the quickie test like the Walmart ones? Qatar going through Doha to the U.S., the airline wants a PCR test. Boarding has been denied to antigen rapid test passengers returning to the U.S. from RSA through Joberg. Same in Doha. I spoke with another passenger who boarded in Doha for the flight to Philly and she had to get a PCR test to board. Bottom line, get the PCR test and you'll be covered everywhere.
Good to know that Doha and Qatar airlines requires PCR. Rapid works for US entry
It’s all a moving target it seems

I also say thanks for current updated info to all who provided. Especially Hank 2211 as a fellow Canadian with our "special" requirements. I leave from Ont, TO, seams to be more testing places in Ont and at a better rate than BC. Now if Trudope cancelled our mandated jail time upon return that would be even better. My excitement is boiling over. Time between safaris have been way to long, Covid BS has been stressful but wheels up, Africa memories soon to commence.

MB

Good to know that Doha and Qatar airlines requires PCR. Rapid works for US entry
By design, it is a moving target. Upon entry to the U.S. All I gave them was the attestation sheet and he did not ask for the lab report showing a negative result.

I Have read Qatar’s website and requirements on their website. There is no testing requirement that I can find for transiting passengers. There is a neat form you can fill out to help determine what you need. If someone has evidence to the contrary please advise. Here it is for my trip:

I Have read Qatar’s website and requirements on their website. There is no testing requirement that I can find for transiting passengers. There is a neat form you can fill out to help determine what you need. If someone has evidence to the contrary please advise. Here it is for my trip:

I agree the website and form is ambiguous. The form states "if requested" then specifically states a PCR test. At Joberg, they requested a PCR test within the time frame. Now it brings us to the gate agent, the final authority of whether or not you are boarding a Qatar Airways flight. For us, they wanted to see the test report and then took photographs of them. As it stood three weeks ago, if you are boarding any of their flights to Doha and going anywhere after that, you need a PCR test. Other passengers that showed up with an antigen test bound for Doha and then the U.S. were refused boarding. From this chair, regardless of destination, the test is a requirement of the airline.

From the form:
I have been fully informed that as a requirement of travel with Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C (“Qatar Airways”)I must, where requested, present/submit valid COVID-19 PCR test result(s) to Qatar Airways.
The purpose of collating this information is to help maintain ongoing public health and safety measures while travelling. I freely authorise and consent to sharing the results of myvalidCOVID-19 PCR testwith Qatar Airways for the conditional purpose(s) of assessment and acceptance as a passenger with the airline.

Last edited:
Just returned last night from SA, I had more trouble getting a PCR test here before I left than in SA and in Joberg they barely looked at it. On departure from Joberg I had a 2 page report (results and certificate) from PathMed in Joberg and total look at it both times was less than 10 sec. When I got the results I spent 3min looking at both pages to feel comfortable (I'm a physician and look at hundreds of reports daily) and it was very professionally done!
In Attis 3 people looked at it for each a few seconds but the best part one had both papers upside down and he ran his finger over it like he was reading it fo max of 10 sec per page and then said
"all in order" and handed it back! Obvious to me he couldn't read English!

@Tanks and others.

I’ve visited Zim three times during the Covid era and I wouldn’t fret over it. The airport on arrival and departure is looking at stuff and they have never given me any trouble. I don’t think they are equipped to do the math story-problem in their head converting time zones, carry the one, divide by two, etc.

Just get a PCR from Covid Consultants before your trip. Submit it so that you get the results the night before departure. Yes, that test is signed by an MD, the physician at Covid Consultants. It’s also a spit test which is much better than having the q-tip that turns out to be an anal test administered through your nose!

Once in Africa, in Zim, its $60 the day before departure for a test at Lancet or Mater Dei. Your PH will know which clinic you need to go to that day.

As pointed out, Emirates is the no-nonsense part of the equation and they will do the complex math to make sure its 48 hours or less when you fly through Dubai. Muslims do not understand the concept of bending the law. Have copies of your PCR just in case and use the playbook I just laid out, you’ll be fine. You need to show that it was <48 hours from your departure when you had your test.
So no problems with using Covid Consultants home test? It says it must be administered by a medical professional. I am certain there is nothing on the Covid Consultants paperwork that will indicate it was a home test.
I am looking at Covid Consultants now.
Philip

I agree the website and form is ambiguous. The form states "if requested" then specifically states a PCR test. At Joberg, they requested a PCR test within the time frame. Now it brings us to the gate agent, the final authority of whether or not you are boarding a Qatar Airways flight. For us, they wanted to see the test report and then took photographs of them. As it stood three weeks ago, if you are boarding any of their flights to Doha and going anywhere after that, you need a PCR test. Other passengers that showed up with an antigen test bound for Doha and then the U.S. were refused boarding. From this chair, regardless of destination, the test is a requirement of the airline.

From the form:
I have been fully informed that as a requirement of travel with Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C (“Qatar Airways”)I must, where requested, present/submit valid COVID-19 PCR test result(s) to Qatar Airways.
The purpose of collating this information is to help maintain ongoing public health and safety measures while travelling. I freely authorise and consent to sharing the results of myvalidCOVID-19 PCR testwith Qatar Airways for the conditional purpose(s) of assessment and acceptance as a passenger with the airline.
Thanks

I have a question and looking for an answer that could be 99.9% Correct.
I am leaving on Emirates on 6/27/2021 at 8:00PM arrive Dubai 14 hours later with a 14 hour layover. Then 8 hours to Jborg. If I get my PCR Cover 19 test on Friday 06/25/2021 by the time I get to Jborg I am well over the 72 hours. I realize you need a PCR Test within 72 hours of departure but do the officials in JoBorg mind if the 72 hours have expired when landed and going through customs?
It’s departure time not arrival time to be concerned with.

I traveled into Joburg, spent the night, flew to Namibia, flew back to Joburg and then back to the states (with hunting in between). The Airlines required negative tests to clear the gate to get to security checks, where as the customs officials only looked at the boarding pass and the passport. They are only concerned with departure time (at least during my trip)!
I had a 30 min PCR test on Wed before I departed on Thursday to arrive in Joburg on Friday. I didn't need a new test to fly to Namibia on Saturday.

I wish Zimbabwe had followed the example of other countries and chose 72 hours. Their 48 hour rule makes it challenging for those of use taking Emirates and have a 40+ hours of elapsed travel time due to long layover on the way there.

I am also concerned about explaining Pacific Standard Time difference to whoever is checking the time stamp.
I was informed it is 48 hours before original departure, not 48 hours before arrival.

quick question... do the PCR test results need to have a QR code for the agents to scan or is just a printout of the negative test result ok? I got tested this morning and received the results back but the lab I went to does not do the QR codes. Flying Qatar Airways to JNB. Thanks

quick question... do the PCR test results need to have a QR code for the agents to scan or is just a printout of the negative test result ok? I got tested this morning and received the results back but the lab I went to does not do the QR codes. Flying Qatar Airways to JNB. Thanks
I just got back 3 days ago. Flew Qatar. They did not need QR code. The report just needs to negative or not detected.

Sir, you do not need a barcode. Just needs to say negative.
Quatar Airlines best flight I have ever taken internationally. Probably helped that I was sitting in business class. Enjoy your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg