Pay It Forward-Free

There are two problems I see with the Trading Post format: 1. If powder or primers are involved thing would need to be done face to face because shipping & shipping costs outweigh any advantage to the transaction. 2. I may have items to trade and items that I desire but generally a three way trade is involved since the person that has what I need does not need what I have while someone else would need what I have but not what I desire . so person A sends Item A to person B who sends item B to person C who sends item C to person A; and that's just a three-way trade. Personally, I prefer the pay if forward free and appreciate the listing of needed items since I have listed a few items that apparently no one needed as they went begging and it is nice to know there is some demand for some of my extra items.
But, what if item A was sold to person C, then Person D wanted item C. Then person A decided not to sell to person B, because he already sold what was supposed to be person C's item to person D. What then?

What then?
That's why I think the original format works best with the least shuffling- it does require people that acknowledge when they are getting something for free, to offer something else of similar value that is likely to be needed by the people that frequent this site.

But, what if item A was sold to person C, then Person D wanted item C. Then person A decided not to sell to person B, because he already sold what was supposed to be person C's item to person D. What then?
Because Who’s on first! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

EXACTLY! MmmHmm, yep....oh wait a minute...what if one of them is dislexic though? Would person C still be C or would they be D...or B and so does that mean they dont get item A anymore cuz its actually considered item B then...or do they still get item A anyway its just from person B now ??? Or is it item A from person A to person C cuz nothing really changes other then zip codes? Hmm??? WOW...So this is what a migraine feels like?!?! ;)

Last edited:

@TOBY458 and @gprippers I think your complexity is excessive because you're assuming you need person A-B-C-D to be involved in a barter.

I don't mean to be cocky, but I'm person A and have I have 99.999% of every hunting item on the planet, or had it before. One of the benefits of getting married and having kids later in life. There are a lot of folks with a lot of everything on this forum. The tricky part is its not for sale and we are all accumulating more. So it requires a barter only from A to B for something of equal rarity and value.

The current political climate where we cannot find items we want at any price in the hunting/firearm world sort of reminds me of an experience I had with vintage Corvette collectors. It turns out, with Corvette parts from the earliest vehicles, they are not for sale. Meaning, don't waste your time bringing a checkbook and offering $10,000 for a carburetor. Not for sale. Not for sale. Giant million dollar barn built by a guy just to hold his parts collection that is not for sale. Turns out, there are 100 guys out there with the same rules, same million dollar barns, same ten million dollars of vintage low serial number Corvette parts. So how do you get the part you need to be original and 100% correct for your vintage corvette so it will win the Survivor class competition and be an "undetectable" replacement part? You have to accumulate a barn of parts of your own and then offer to barter.

@TOBY458 and @gprippers I think your complexity is excessive because you're assuming you need person A-B-C-D to be involved in a barter.

I don't mean to be cocky, but I'm person A and have I have 99.999% of every hunting item on the planet, or had it before. One of the benefits of getting married and having kids later in life. There are a lot of folks with a lot of everything on this forum. The tricky part is its not for sale and we are all accumulating more. So it requires a barter only from A to B for something of equal rarity and value.

The current political climate where we cannot find items we want at any price in the hunting/firearm world sort of reminds me of an experience I had with vintage Corvette collectors. It turns out, with Corvette parts from the earliest vehicles, they are not for sale. Meaning, don't waste your time bringing a checkbook and offering $10,000 for a carburetor. Not for sale. Not for sale. Giant million dollar barn built by a guy just to hold his parts collection that is not for sale. Turns out, there are 100 guys out there with the same rules, same million dollar barns, same ten million dollars of vintage low serial number Corvette parts. So how do you get the part you need to be original and 100% correct for your vintage corvette so it will win the Survivor class competition and be an "undetectable" replacement part? You have to accumulate a barn of parts of your own and then offer to barter.
Rookhawk: I think you missed MY point anyway...i was responding to the Abbott and Costello like scenario being portrayed as a joke. Play on words to play on words...nothing any deeper then that! LOL! But thanks...and you are right we all do have LOTS of gear!

Guys having LOTS of gear is one reason this was set up, to pass along items we dont NEED any longer and for no more reason then to "just do it"... to be a good guy/member of the forum. Political climate or not, some how i think we will all be ok when it comes to having enough gear on our next hunt. Sometimes its o.k. not to expect anything in return for an item, especially since there are so many gents on the site who have more then they will ever need or actually use in their lives! LOL! Most of the time when people hoard, or "collect" tons of "items" or "stuff" its because they are either bored or are trying to fill a hole in their soul or they are trying to feel some way bigger or better then...cuz they have all the STUFF! LOL! Then again, it is just plain fun to have lots of kool stuff!

As far as looking for that hard to find item...ive always found it in the end and more times then not, at a fair price be it in trade or paid in cash and ive even had an item or two given to me just because. ;) There are LOTS of folks out there that realize they do have more then they could ever use or really need in the years they have left, so why not pass it along? Pass it along at a reasonable price or gratis, just for the sake of doing so...just to help finish up someone else's project. Not necessarily charity mind you, but just being a solid guy helping someone else out and then hopefully that person will do the same for someone else. The concept of PAY IT FORWARD i guess! Thats why some people will only have a few folks at their funerals or wakes and some will have hundreds paying their respects. Some will die with 99.999% of all the items and STUFF they acquired over the years ( a load of STUFF for the family to get rid of in the end cuz they dont care about it) but only a few folks at their funeral. I would rather have a bunch of folks with good thoughts about who I was as a person, versus a bunch of folks at my estate sale buying up all my important "STUFF" for pennies on the dollar! LOL! I guess its all boils down to perspective...all how we look at things. No need to give the house away, but sometimes there are extras that others can benefit more from then we ever will, especially when they are just trinkets in the end. Oh ya, and that 99 point Corvette that guy owns...might get him a red ribbon at the show and he might feel like he has done something in that short blip in time, but when he dies that car will move onto the next guy and he might resto mod it into a driver, or heaven for bid a quarter mile car with wacked quarter panels and a super charger! LOL! Perspective...all how we look at things as they are just "things" in the end. LOL!

WOW! Long way to go for...???...hell i dont know anymore? What were we talking about? LOL! :)

I have always like this as a pay it forward kind of thread. I would think that if there is a need for a thread "Trade, barter, and swap" that as a group we could approach Jerome and ask him to start a pinned thread for just that kind of transaction.

Trade or want ads will be posted individually by members as they have been up to now, thank you.

It was just a joke mostly. I like the idea of having a trading thread myself. But it could tend to get complicated if it wasn't a single transaction between two people.

Seems the difference is whether someone wants something in return for the item. If he wants no compensation then it can be advertised in the Free Pay It Forward section; If compensation is desired, either in the form of money (sale) or another item (trade) or if someone is seeking some item then the listing would be in the Classified. If a posting of an item for trade involves more than a two party transaction the details would best be done via PMs.

Christmas time again! 1 box of Hornady 338 Win Mag 225 grain SST’s. I’ll pick up the shipping for the conus.

Merry Christmas to everyone at AH!
8D9DFE6B-A92F-4583-ABB7-8CBD15FCF2E7.jpeg

Christmas time again! 1 box of Hornady 338 Win Mag 225 grain SST’s. I’ll pick up the shipping for the conus.

Merry Christmas to everyone at AH!View attachment 442437
If they are available I have a friend that could use them

ive got a brand new 338 win mag and zero ammo found so far! Cant get them locally for some reason and the basics seem toughest to get. 30-30, '06, 270, 243, 300 wm and 338 win mag. See Wby mag stuff, 22, 308 etc but no base hunting calibers. If any more pop up i could seriously use them and id even buy some so if anybody has any for sale post em and let me know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross