Package hunt vs. Day rate + trophy fees, which do you prefer?

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
To all:

I see Bigred started a forum and has not come back to provide additional thinking or guidance to his initial post...Could it be that he jumped the gun and signed the contract and is now looking for ways to get out of it?

Individuals who book a safari and then start asking for help. Are popping up on this Forum time after time. :eek:

Ask your questions before you book a hunt. Everyone has opinions and while Bigred is paying the bills for his safari. The question is being asked after an agreement has been booked.

Asking questions like this is after the fact is liken to closing and locking the barn door after the horses are out, so to say. It is too late in the game to make a difference.

If Bigred has signed an agreement to go on a safari with XYZ Safari company the agreement is in place that was reviewed before he signed.

Trying to renegotiate the contract after Bigred has a signed one in place, is not the place anyone on this forum would like to be in.

:) Bigred

I am actually going on a hybrid fee structured hunt where the trophy fees cover all of our typical safari cost. As such, this outfitters trophy fees are about 20% higher than his competitors, but there are no daily rates. To ensure some profitability he does require a non-refundable deposit of $1500.

I'm not sure how good of a deal this is, or wether or not package hunts or the traditional day rate + trophy fees is the most economical. Anybody have any opinion? Also, has anybody ever negotiated trophy fees or negotiated a package price on 3 to 5 animals? Thanks much. :)

Calhoun

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
i agree with garybird as far as the first or 2nd time hunter the package deal is a great way to go as you have no trophies and you have a little more discounted hunt. if you have a reputable outfitter you should end up with nice trophies. i did and that is why i'm in favor of package deals!

Rocco

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
sci, pope&young, boone&crockett
Rocco,

I strongly disagree with you. Your proposed payment system sounds far too much like your buying the animals. The people I work with in Africa are selling a hunting experience in an area that holds good numbers of the animals a client is interested in and they will provide whatever is necessary to make the hunt as successful as possible. The daily rate covers all that. If you are lucky and shoot big stuff that's great but if you don't that's hunting.

I can't imagine a safari operator offering a hunt like you proposed. Even in the very best of areas you could hit a very unlucky streak meaning that the safari operator didn't get paid at all and that's not going to happen. For the safari operator to stay in business has to be assured of a reasonable profit regardless of what the client actually shoots.

I agree but how does the client protects himself from bad outfitters that promise him the world and gives references of the PH's best friends.

bigred

Reaction score
Member of
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Heritage Foundation Member, NRA Youth Hunter Education Benefactor Member, New Beginners to Waterfowling Board Member, Anglers for Conservation Member
Hunted
USA, RSA, Canada, Alaska
Alright, alright now. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. To clarify some things, I am going on safari, my flight leaves in about 10 days. I am on a daily rate + trophy fee schedule, but as I wrote originally, it is blended together. Having seen many different pricing structures, and being new to African hunting, I am a bit wary about the best fee schedule. I knew you all would have many points and suggestions so I am thankful for that.

I of course will report back after my hunt, which is a plains game hunt in S. Africa. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in.

driehoek

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAPHA
This is an issue!
Which ever they do. Most is a maths thing.
We also like to ask the client which trophies he would like to take, how many days he would like to hunt and
compile a package for the particular hunter or group of hunters.
The animals he does not take are refunded. We charge a deposit but all other is paid after the hunt.
I think a deposit is only fair to both!
If you would like to find out more about us please feel free to email me for references.
Have a lovely hunting week-end

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I like the day rate and trophy fee. If you see a eye popping trophy say an eland you can take him and give something else up if you want to stay in your budget.

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
In response to one (later) part of BigReds original post, everything is negotiable and I mean everything. Bargain hard, be prepared to compromise and always ask 'what can you do for me ?'

Price lists, day rates and some fees should only be seen as a guide.

I look on visiting Africa and hunting there as an experience and am not all that concerned about trophy fees. A trophy for me is nice to get, but not essential. In that respect package deals hold a lot of value to me as the consumer.

I was offered five cull blue wildebeast for basically day rates once and would have gone ahead with it except the conservancy changed hands.

Decide on one key target (pun intended) animal and then build your hunt around getting that species.

Tom071

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
North American Hunting Club Trophy Life Member, NRA, Safari Club International, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
US, Canada, South Africa
My 3 cents is you should work only on trophy fee.
By that I mean, you tell your PH that you expect to harvest only trophy animals. Both you and the PH should determine what is the size of each trophy that you are looking for. Come to a agreement on size and price.
You might have to pay a little more for each trophy game that you get but you will be totally satisfy with your dream hunt.
The reason for this route is that some PH/ outfitters across the world will tell you anything in order to sell you a hunt . I believe that if the PH/ outfitter is telling you the truth about what sizes of trophies that he has in his concession, then he should not disagree with this price structure. If he does, then I would back off from going to his place.
PH/ outfitters don't seem to understand that the hunters that decide to come to Africa for a dream hunt has to take into consideration that the cost of the flight, the time off from work, purchase of gun, ammo and other hunting items for the hunters trip sometimes cost more than the daily fee and trophy fee combined.
I speak as a hunter that experienced both the good outfitters and the other kind of outfitters.
So if lady Luck plays agains you and you don't shoot an animal that doesnt meet your trophy quality. The PH is just out for all his time and expensies, or would you still pay the trophy fee without having shot your trophy?

joester

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
Hunted
US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
I too think a daily fee rate is the way to go, most times. List, IN ORDER of preference/desire, the animals you'd like to shoot & discuss the options/possibilities with your PH. On my 1st hunt i really wanted to start with a big ugly warthog but I was never shown one; instead I was shown herds of larger, more expensive species...When I was hesitant to "take" any of these, prices were dropped, there in the field, by several hundred dollars. I never did see a mature warthog but lost count of zebra, eland, oryx, etc. . I was disapointed but I am structuring my next hunt differently.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I too think a daily fee rate is the way to go, most times. List, IN ORDER, the animals you'd like to shoot & discuss the options/possibilities with your PH. On my 1st hunt i really wanted to start with a big ugly warthog but I was never shown one; instead I was shown herds of larger, more expensive species...When I was hesitant to "take" any of these, prices were dropped, there in the field, by several hundred dollars. I was disapointed but I am structuring my next hunt differently.

I super hate the kind of hunting you are talking about.....ask about a laundry service to wash all the dollar bills written all over you in invisible ink. Because that is a business hunt for money!

That is something I will not put up with ever again on a hunting trip!!!

driehoek

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAPHA
It is refreshing to ear that not every one wants package hunts.
We offer both but we also make individual packages for the hunter. We look at what e would like to harvest and then make a packes with the number of days he is thinking of.Another version is to make a package of the hunting days and add trophies as they fall. In the bush you must take what comes along especially f it is a gooooood trophy. I can nearly guarentee that that trophy will not come again .
If any one wants more information please contact us!
If you ave a good PH or hunting guide and an area that is not over hunted you should be able to get good trophies. Even the dream trophy. Namibia still has excellent trophies!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HansGuerci

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?