Outfitters and PH's Please respond. All others: who does this...?

Cam, yes Sir! Phil Glass and John Hume changed the direction of the movie, but the nasty side of the wildlife ranching industry overpowers what was done by them.

I don't think if Christo was given a chance to review the way they cut his section he would have chosen to have it make final cut. Especially when he had to take a break when he got emotional talking about his attachment (as a rancher who loves his animals) to the wildlife and hunting them.

Cam is there a movie that you think portrays it better?

Women who kill lions is also not something I would recommend to the non hunting crowd.

I drink a beer anytime the ph offers. It really not that important one way or another. I can drink beer any day but I can't hunt Africa any day. I usually quit at night after six or so don't want a hangover

1 or 2 for me. I am paying a lot to be there. I don't need a splitting headache or to sleep with one foot on the floor with the scorpions and cobras.

Cam is there a movie that you think portrays it better?
I haven't found anything suitable yet. I don't want to sidetrack this thread, so perhaps I'll start another in which people could offer suggestions.
Edit: Started thread "Suggestions to help explain our passions?"

Last edited:
There were a group of Danes in camp on two of my hunts in Africa. Every night they would put away at least two bottles of wine each and several beers. I don't know how they managed the next day but there were a lot of missed shots. One of them had to go back to the lodge to restock ammo one day.

I don't drink and I am a firm believer in absolutely no alcohol during the day while hunting or until we are back at the lodge. Simple reason being, I don't want the PH/driver impaired while on the road. Having him arrested for DUI would not be a fun experience.

What happens that night is another story as long as he can function the next day. The PHs I have hunted with manage their intake pretty well and I've never had a problem. Luckily, all my hunts have been one on one so I don't have to worry about some boozed up fool with a rifle.
DUI on the game ranch?

In the documentary movie "Trophy", an American client is drinking beer and shooting a crocodile. The lizard was dragged out of a croc farm and placed in a dam on a game ranch. It is a good sized lizard, but the client is smoking and drinking a beer.

I think the outfitter was Christo Gomes. It painted him in a bad light, and I personally felt like his client was more the problem than he was. This was cinemetography BS not necessarily his fault.
That is THE worst part of Trophy. That guy was the worst hunter ever on camera! Drinking, can’t shoot, cussing, runs out of shells, etc. had to put down the beer can to do a follow up shot! When I went to the first private screening of Trophy in NY I was so mad about that scene being in there.

I like beer and good wine and really good scotch and I can "hold my liquor" as well as the next guy. The problem is that alcohol that is not quickly broken down into sugars (metabolized) is cruising through your blood stream and it does have an effect on reaction time, lessening inhibitions, impacting balance and cognitive ability, all causing safety issues. We all believe that a few drinks "really don't have much effect on me", but there is a reason that more than 1 beer or drink per hour pushes almost everyone into the "legally impaired" category. I go to Africa to hunt, tour and experience and prefer to do it safely. There are enough things in Africa that can kill you. Why add yourself or your hunting busy to the list. So, IMO, I think it best to wait till I'm back at camp showered and ready to relax and enjoy.

'How about that brownish beer the locals sell in recycled 2L soda bottles, off of bicycle-pulled carts in Harare?! Some of the PHs will know this product....IF I recall correctly, it's off-spec, not fully fermented, or waste product from the local breweries. (like they're selling/drinking unfinished wort)? Perhaps it's a "black market" brew made with ingreds borrowed from the brewery? 'Joked with the PH that I could sure use one of those bottles at day's end. He laughed and remarked it's NOT advisable any time of day...Fermented goats milk is it up in E. Africa? lol

1614694031786.png

Typical beer delivery truck ..they have different tanks on back and some colourful names...stop at local bars and for anyone with containers wanting to buy

Chibuku is more commercial and sold in supermarkets as well...price is about usd 35 cents at today's rate for a bottle I think is 1.25 litres

1614694295077.png

I hunted aoudad in West Texas on a 500,000 acre ranch. There were multiple issues on that hunt, but the guide got hammered drunk after I killed a ram.

The outfitter took him away for the night, as he was pretty screwed up.

In Namibia I shared camp with a Spanish couple, and the two outfitter families drank too much every night. It got old fast. Spain is a pretty fun country for booze, but even the Spanish were against that level of consumption.

I am very happy to be in a booze free camp. I very rarely drink, I used to drink I was in the Navy for 20 years and don't have a problem with it. But I didn't come to Africa to drink.

View attachment 391348
Typical beer delivery truck ..they have different tanks on back and some colourful names...stop at local bars and for anyone with containers wanting to buy

Chibuku is more commercial and sold in supermarkets as well...price is about usd 35 cents at today's rate for a bottle I think is 1.25 litres

View attachment 391349
Can you recommend a favorite? LOL :p

Watched a lion safari on youtube, and the following Chabubi last night with the kids, and the Outfitter opened two cases of beer for the staff. I got a little wild. I can't remember if it was Tanzania Game Trackers or who it was. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the same block as that group after that orgy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross