Outfitters and PH's Please respond. All others: who does this...?

Two of them in camp, twelve empty bottles of South African wine in the trash can in the morning of their first hunting day. I don't know how late they stayed up drinking but they had a lot of misses. From what I've seen of this type, it seems like a lot of camp based deer hunters. They just want to get away from their wives and drink without hearing a bunch of crap.

100% Agree!.... As someone that used to guide whitetail hunts and has been in deer camps from Texas to Australia I find there are 2 kinds of deer hunters; there are deer hunters and people that simply go to deer camp for the novelty of it.

The later of the two rarely wake up in time for the morning hunt, but are usually more than happy to pour a drink while loading their rifle, before trying to climb into my truck with a drink in one hand and loaded rifle in the other for the evening hunt.

One such client I was guiding simply became incensed when I told him the 32oz insulated thermos that he had filled with a 50/50 mix of whiskey & diet coke would not be coming with us into the blind while hunting.

Now having said that - I keep an ice chest full stocked in the back of my truck with several kinds of beer, soda, water & various mixers; along with a bottle of my favorite whiskey underneath the rear seat for when the hunt is OVER..... Once the animal is down, gun unloaded and put away in a case I have absolutely no problem with pouring the first drink for the long drive back to camp.

Simple, no booze until end of day. Drinking to excess the night before, you can still be impaired the next morning after a night of moderate to heavy drinking. I'm there to hunt, if I want to drink I can stay home and do that. Just my two cents.

They are loaded before the first animal is? :D Drunk:
We have never had a problem with American hunters & alcohol. Eastern Europeans are a whole different story. I would be happy if they just had a beer at lunch or one beer after a major animal was loaded. Enough said!

I only ever drink beer no matter where I am, me and the hard stuff are mortal enemies! I always look forward to my single beer upon return to camp after the hunt. I don't drink during the day anyway.
I haven't seen the video in question but if the hunt was over for the day, I have no problem with having a brew before heading back to camp, but if hunting is to be continued then there should be no booze.

During a day's hunt?- have never seen it but I'm sure it happens. I have never requested such service and am perfectly happy with coffee or cool water and soft drinks. Probably a case of the PH knows who is going to tip at the end of the hunt. However, it's a strong tradition at the end of the day to have a toddy or two around the fire- BTW very enjoyable if kept in moderation. During the day, while hunting IMO, not the best idea!

I have not seen the video but it depends on the situation. None of us would find it a good idea to drink all day while hunting. However a beer at lunch or on the way back to camp is not a problem.
Some guys have a rule of no beer in the bakkie. I like to have a beer in the way back to camp and guys who don’t allow that annoy me.
Philip

In this full length (over an hour long) video the client is hunting and thoughout each day he is seen drinking while riding around in search of animals, during lunch breaks, celebrating/toasting after animals have been killed.

The client is riding in the back of the bakki, (IMO, the client appears to be inebriated).
Although things can happen fast in Africa. And I have no real qualms with this; [other than the client again appears inebriated]; an animal comes out onto the "road", the client sets his beer down, picks up his rifle, lays the rifle atop the roof of the bakki, shoots the animal, (congratulations, photos/ more video, etc.), still afield and the client is still seen drinking in the back of the bakki; it's near dark when the video picks up the client and PH arriving at the lodge.

Ok.
I'm bored! I am missing not being able to hunt Africa.
So, I am watching YouTube videos......as therapy.

While watching videos of various PG and DG hunts, in various African countries. I stumble across a particular video of a hunter drinking beer while out hunting, (this guy is drinking in the back of the bakki, after a kill the PH and client are toasting the kill, while the animal is laying on ground in the field; first at their feet in front of them and again behind them in the background).

Guns and alcohol dont mix in my book. But what do I know. Stupid is, As stupid does.

Being safety conscious for not only myself and everyone else,.....including the client.

What ligitament/justifiable reason is there for an outfitter or even a PH to allow a client with a gun to drink (beer) and handle a weapon while in the field hunting? Especially during a buff hunt and later, on a lion hunt?!.??

Celebratory drinks and toast are fine upon return to camp or the lodge. But what I seen being conducted in the field while still out hunting.....to me IMO...is uncomprehendable.

Thus I'm asking outfitters and PHs why they will allow such a disconcerting for their safety and their clients safety by allowing a client or even themselves to drink while hunting?

Adults + Moderation

I've had the occasional beer at lunch (afterwards a several hour nap which effectively processes it), on the way back to camp on a very hot day after collecting an animal, and of course at dinner or around the fire back at camp. But, during the last safari in the Caprivi, I asked the PH to take me to a Shebeen on the way back to camp (He wanted Nothing to do with the place!! lol) It was a cultural experience...chatted w/ locals, the proprietor came out an introduced himself, brought out my desired tall cool one...I've only had a beer outside of camp-always after the hunt. It's a lot better alternative than a cold Coke (as it contains no sucrose or caffeine and its pH will not clean battery terminals) and is truly 95-97% cold water. You could swallow your mouthwash and have more alcohol in your system! I would never drink immediately prior to, or when hunting. It's more of a celebratory thing. We are also on vacation while on safari. One of the tribal land gamekeepers was a woman and she invited me to go Shebeen-hopping on Ladies' night (LOL i didn't partake but it was funny.) I've heard some tales about Mexicans (and Polish) coming on Safari and the PH finding them all passed out in the dining area, surrounded by cases of empy beer and liquor. LOL At least they didn't hunt that day (both they and PH agreed!) PH had to make special 4.5 hr trips to re-fuel their thirst, but he controlled their hunting time. He wasn't too keen on the deal. Perhaps would-be hunters should submit breathalyzer results along with their covid swab tests prior to going on safari? After finding this photo I was reminded that this was on the way back to camp from collecting an elephant and distributing its meat to a village via several truck/trailer loads. Did we earn that beer? YES WE DID!

1604098273596.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We have never had a problem with American hunters & alcohol. Eastern Europeans are a whole different story. I would be happy if they just had a beer at lunch or one beer after a major animal was loaded. Enough said!
RUSSIANS. :Facepalm: Shared a camp with a group once and participated in several conferences/meetings while on active duty. They are professionals.

RUSSIANS. :Facepalm: Shared a camp with a group once and participated in several conferences/meetings while on active duty. They are professionals.

Agreed! An 80 year old woman drank me under the table on home made vodka in Ukraine. She knocked back tumblers of straight vodka like shooters. My wife couldn’t stop laughing!

There were a group of Danes in camp on two of my hunts in Africa. Every night they would put away at least two bottles of wine each and several beers. I don't know how they managed the next day but there were a lot of missed shots. One of them had to go back to the lodge to restock ammo one day.

I don't drink and I am a firm believer in absolutely no alcohol during the day while hunting or until we are back at the lodge. Simple reason being, I don't want the PH/driver impaired while on the road. Having him arrested for DUI would not be a fun experience.

What happens that night is another story as long as he can function the next day. The PHs I have hunted with manage their intake pretty well and I've never had a problem. Luckily, all my hunts have been one on one so I don't have to worry about some boozed up fool with a rifle.

I watched one of my uncles put away more whisky and beer than any person should be able to. He was a functioning alcoholic. One summer I worked with him and my dad and he was on the job on time yet he just stayed drunk but he could function as if he was cold ass sober.

As for me, I can take it or leave it for lunch. I figure that a beer doesn't hurt as long as it doesn't turn into 3 or 4. On my hunt it was water and soft drinks for lunch. Then once we were done for the day there was a small supply of beer in the cooler at the lodge and one of our hunters had picked up a bottle of scotch which I never saw until the last night.

I tried hunting with a hangover many years ago and told myself the I would never do it again and I haven't.

In 2013 I went on safari with a good friend and his Russian business partner. This guy drunk whiskey with his dinner, and then some more afterwards. He did have very deep pockets, and wanted to hunt "everything".

I took his PH aside, whom I knew from a previous safari, and advised him not to let his "hunter" handle the rifle until the sticks were up, and with very careful monitoring, he could explain this was just the "African way".

At the end of the day the PH thanked me for the advice, this guy fumbled every shot, and the trackers had a full day´s work.

Agreed! An 80 year old woman drank me under the table on home made vodka in Ukraine. She knocked back tumblers of straight vodka like shooters. My wife couldn’t stop laughing!

An Iranian friend of mine could do frozen vodka shots no problem all night long when we were out partying....but get him on beer or anything else.... and he was how shall we say not as strong after only a few.... :E Big Grin: :D Drunk:

Reactions: WAB
'How about that brownish beer the locals sell in recycled 2L soda bottles, off of bicycle-pulled carts in Harare?! Some of the PHs will know this product....IF I recall correctly, it's off-spec, not fully fermented, or waste product from the local breweries. (like they're selling/drinking unfinished wort)? Perhaps it's a "black market" brew made with ingreds borrowed from the brewery? 'Joked with the PH that I could sure use one of those bottles at day's end. He laughed and remarked it's NOT advisable any time of day...Fermented goats milk is it up in E. Africa? lol

In the documentary movie "Trophy", an American client is drinking beer and shooting a crocodile. The lizard was dragged out of a croc farm and placed in a dam on a game ranch. It is a good sized lizard, but the client is smoking and drinking a beer.

I think the outfitter was Christo Gomes. It painted him in a bad light, and I personally felt like his client was more the problem than he was. This was cinemetography BS not necessarily his fault.

@Muskox I watched Trophy with hopes of finding that it would be suitable for me to share with some "on the fence" and non-hunting friends. I would like to find something that properly explains the benefits of trophy hunting to those who are uninformed. That particular scene that you speak of turned me off so much, it immediately made this movie not be an option. If it bothered me, I could only imagine what it would do for a non-hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross