Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
rsa, Namibia
I love the hunting shows. And for me, hunting trips to Africa are not a small investment. If I’m going to wire thousands of dollars to an overseas account towards something that may happen next year, I like to have at least met the person who says I’m going to get something in return for those thousand of dollars. Again, I love the shows, but what about the other 360 days a year? For me, the internet has become my almost daily escape to Africa. And I don’t think I’m alone here in the 21st century.

Which brings me to my question. Am I the only one who has reservations about an outfitter that doesn’t maintain a website? Who has no website at all or one with virtually no pertinent info on it or a website that hasn’t been updated since 2017? I realize there are some outfits that don’t need it. For whatever reason, they have or can get all the clients they need without it. But I would think most outfitters are always looking for new clients.

Is this just a weird personal issue I’ve got to deal with myself, or am I right to expect a maintained website from a legitimate hunting outfit in 2024?

And while am ranting about hunting websites…. If you’re in a good area, with good properties, with good animals, with good prices, why in the world wouldn’t you put that on your website?!

I know you all expect me “to leave as a friend”(no offense to all you who say that) and you all have “the best hunting in Africa.” If you have a great area, or specialize in a species, or offer a great deal that sets you apart, that’s what I want to know when I visit your website.

Sorry, slow Friday.

I think if they don't have an updated website in 2024 then it is definitely a red flag. I'm not saying that they are a scam, which they very well could be, but it shows laziness or sloppy business practice and those are not traits I want in an outfitter/PH. I always like when they have an appealing website with updated pictures and a current pricelist as well as social media sites where they are regularly posting. It also helps if they post on AH too because then you know they are legit and reputable.

Concur 2 trips that were based only off of website that was informative and complete with same outfitter and an upcoming trip 3 also based off of website and social media. When it came close to booking time this site was the deciding factor. Were they a sponsor here and hunt reports made it any easy decision.

From outfitters point of view
Im not a keyboard warrior
I really dont have the time to always sit on social media updating

or compiling new info and pics for my website hosts to update my website and then to check its correct and and etc

I still do a lot of the hunting myself
So in this tech era i am maybe left a little wanting and am behind some of the younger guys
I offer good honest hunting amd accomodations as per my website

I do think if you feel uneasy about sending a deposit a simple whatsapp call or video call with the outfitter should put your mind at ease or chat to some of the past clients(references)

Regards

Speaking for myself, I definitely see a website as a piece of the pie, and not an unimportant one.

I will say we are all different, in so many ways: location, how we learn/gather information, what type of sales pitch is welcome/works.

For example: from what I gather on this site, a lot of you sign up for hunts at the various hunting and outdoor shows. That's just not my world. Someday I'd like to experience just once? But I live about 2 doors down from BFE, along the shores of Bristol Bay in SW Alaska. So to go to a show in Texas, or some part of the lower 48, requires a bit more effort/expense than it does for many of you. I'm not complaining at all - that's just my reality. Also, I have been on this site less time than many of you, and I have only been to Africa twice, but from where I am at in life, right now, I would fully expect I can find a deal that makes me happy simply by finding outfitters on here. Once I'm in the process of doing that, sources of information become important, to verify or check things out. An updated, informative website is certainly helpful; it is a source to confirm or learn information towards possibly selecting someone to hunt with.

While I don't think a website is the be all and end all, and there are other places to look for information, I do wonder about seriously outdated material, such as photos or information that is clearly a lot of years out of date, particularly if you post a link to your website on your signature on here.

Really, there is no one size fits all, I don't think, though I do think Everett's post is valid. All of us process information differently, and the means at our disposal to plan for hunts can differ greatly.

For myself, for what it's worth... I do enjoy short videos that show the specific operation. That helped to sell me on who I hunted with - they have videos that helped me to visualize actually being there. Also, I like geography. I like maps and links that show exactly where someone is located, so I can also look into the area, and see what's on Google Earth - that's just how I am wired.

And yes... It IS a slow Friday, even here just down the road from BFE.

Am I the only one who has reservations about an outfitter that doesn’t maintain a website? Who has no website at all or one with virtually no pertinent info on it or a website that hasn’t been updated since 2017? I realize there are some outfits that don’t need it. For whatever reason, they have or can get all the clients they need without it. But I would think most outfitters are always looking for new clients.

Is this just a weird personal issue I’ve got to deal with myself, or am I right to expect a maintained website from a legitimate hunting outfit in 2024?
I have the same views.
Web site is modern business card of any enterprise. You dont have it - you are out of business. As simple as that.

I spend a lot of time on websites also. But just general information to look at. Personal messages are the deciding factor. Also here and Facebook pages where they find it easier to post things quickly and respond quickly.
The biggest crooks I've come across had the biggest fanciest websites spewing with lies and pictures.

I've hunted with a number of outfitters who had minimal to no website exposure. Every time, the hunts were incredible. The PHs were great hunters, super guys, the game was exceptional, and the accommodations were always good, though not five-star hotel nice, which is not that important to me. The reason that they lacked fancy websites? They didn't need them. They had great reputations, and they were constantly booked. The hunting community is small enough, and the members are generally honorable guys, so it is relatively easy to determine who is good and who is not.

Some outfits don't need it...they are relying on repeat hunters, word of mouth and / or a booking agent that is marketing for them.... Good for them

That said, any outfit that is doing their own marketing i.e. Web, AH, Shows ect.... should have a good informative website complete with good contact info that they maintain....and should have a good US based representative to communicate with and send money on this side of the pond....

There are outfitters who use their websites to help market their hunts and get business and there are outfitters who operate on repeat business and referrals who don’t need a website. I’ve had good hunts with both, but no or poorly maintained website needs some solid references to get my interest.

I agree, as stated above, the website is a part of the equation but I don't believe it is necessary. The one and only African concession I've hunted on was recommended to me by my local taxidermist who also gave me a paper brochure which I read carefully a number of times. I talked to a neighbor who come to find out had also hunted with that outfitter. I read every page of their website, I read their Facebook page, instagram, I watched their (few) YouTube videos, I googled them both the outfit and the individual people, I read about them on these forums, I emailed them with questions and they provided me with good answers. Between everything I was confident that we were going to have a good experience. We didn't have a good experience, we had a fantastic one and are going again to the same place this year. I gathered information from as many angles as possible, not all of them were necessary but all helped. The website or lack thereof is not a deal breaker as long as you can gain confidence from other angles.

Websites can be expensive to build and maintain unless you have someone you know do it.

Facebook has taken over. And many put the latest info on Facebook. Many legit outfits do not update their website.

Many smaller outfits don’t have time or resources to spend on a website. There could be an argument to: do you really want him sitting around a computer or out hunting.

Websites are great, with photos, video, drone video, satellite imagery, etc., etc. Lots of outfitters do other social media, Facebook, etc,

I do look over websites, but don't do any of the other social media. I do email, text or WhatsApp message potential outfitters.

My single best source for selecting a new outfitter for a hunt, is reading several different hunting reports from real people. PM the authors and get even more details.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.