Our United Airlines experience. Plus more

I have no particular brief for United, but it sounds like most of the problems were on the ground or weather related, or were in South Africa. Frankly, I am surprised that United agent had the plane re-open the door and let you on. Once that door is closed, that's usually it. United went the extra mile (or few feet) there.

With the high temps this summer in parts of NA, it's true that planes need more runway than usual, or less weight. Not the airlines fault - I (strongly) prefer they abide by the rules set by those who make the planes and FAA. As a pilot once said to me as I was whining about a delay "there's lots of times I was on the ground wishing I was in the air, but never have I been in the air wishing I was on the ground. I promised my kids I'd keep it that way." Amen.

This is travel 2022. Weather issues. Over-crowded airport issues. Airline staffing issues. Issues with new and untrained people with authority complexes. Tired and fed up staff. Chaos everywhere.

Not the best time for travel...again.

Last year (7/21), the Delta variant was surging in SA and the Zulus were trying to start a civil war. Travel was pretty easy, though, at least on Qatar.

I wonder what next year brings. Hopefully less interesting times.

What I have noticed locally is that the moment covid19 travel restrictions started, airline CEOs started laying off most of ground staff, baggage handlers and customer support staff. A great many of these people then left the industry and went to work in other other more stable industries. Now that the travel restriction have lifted, the airlines are having to start again with new inexperienced staff, reduced numbers and employees who no longer have any belief in their employer. It doesn't take Einstein to figure out the result. I suspect this is a common experience globally.

Pretty much.

Wow, crazy indeed. I flew in April with United and Gracy Travel, no delays and no problems MKE-Newark-Johannesburg. I know this isn’t for everyone, but I highly recommend what I did. Fly with only one Cary on luggage, no gun. Smooth sailing using the outfitter’s gun (Nick Bowker Hunting).
I've taken a couple of African hunts and used the outfitters rifles, but boy, have I come across some crappy guns. And worse yet is, I hate buying nice rifles then not take them, but yes, you are correct, this saves a ton of drama!! I'd consider it for a plains game hunt, but for dangerous game, I like taking my own rifle.

That's why my Africa travel is over. Too much hassle and uncertainty. Anyway, I have no more space for mounts.
Never say never Newboomer. It's what keeps us getting vertical every morning. LOL

It may not do much for those living in the eastern half of the country, but the idea of flying to Houston or Dallas a day before and using Qatar Airways from there just keeps looking better and better.

It may not do much for those living in the eastern half of the country, but the idea of flying to Houston or Dallas a day before and using Qatar Airways from there just keeps looking better and better.
I flew Qatar for the first time during COVID and was really impressed - an order of magnitude better than any North American airline.

But, as some have pointed out on other threads, transiting Doha with firearms isn't always seamless. People have been pulled aside for mysterious reasons, and some firearms have not been allowed to transit, again for mysterious reasons. When I was waiting in the boarding lounge for my flight to JNB, I was paged. At the desk, the agent asked if I was travelling with firearms. I said yes - I had checked them in with Qatar in Montreal and had gotten advance permission to travel with them - I was asked for my passport and boarding pass and politely asked to sit "over there." I asked if there was a problem, and she shook her head.

I sat, and waited, while the plane was boarding. When there was virtually no one left to board (I was in business class) I approached the agent and asked when I might board. She looked up and said, oh, ok, and gave me back my passport and boarding pass. All very polite, but no explanation for the issue.

I have no particular brief for United, but it sounds like most of the problems were on the ground or weather related, or were in South Africa. Frankly, I am surprised that United agent had the plane re-open the door and let you on. Once that door is closed, that's usually it. United went the extra mile (or few feet) there.

With the high temps this summer in parts of NA, it's true that planes need more runway than usual, or less weight. Not the airlines fault - I (strongly) prefer they abide by the rules set by those who make the planes and FAA. As a pilot once said to me as I was whining about a delay "there's lots of times I was on the ground wishing I was in the air, but never have I been in the air wishing I was on the ground. I promised my kids I'd keep it that way." Amen.

This is travel 2022. Weather issues. Over-crowded airport issues. Airline staffing issues. Issues with new and untrained people with authority complexes. Tired and fed up staff. Chaos everywhere.
The door to airplane was still open. The doors to walk way ramp were closed so we could still go.
Im not saying there was not a problem for the flight when leaving Idaho. But it is preventable. When United came to this part of Idaho they had 2 flights per day to Denver. 1 at 5:30 AM 1 at 6:00 pm
They did away with both flights and dropped a new one right in the middle of the day at 1:00. Why if lift and runway are a problem because of heat would you not leave the 5 AM flight in place ? They have been taking 10 people off the plane and giving them a 1500.00 voucher to not fly everyday for over a month. Now they are flying from here to Boise with less fuel and re fueling there. Than fly to Denver. This airport is in a town of 30,000 people so this is just a connector flight. Delta and Alaska air both have direct flights to Boise. Ha Ha just things that make you go HUH ?

Jesus I'm taking that flight in a couple weeks lol
Thanks for sharing!!
Don't worry about it. I didn't post this to discourage people ! I did it so as one could be prepared for what could happen. The wife and I aren't mad about it . As she says its always an adventure. It was totally worth it to go. Would I book with United again YES ! Would I look at other flights YES. But all told if I had to go through the same thing to hunt Africa I would . Plus I would never go with out my gun. I just try and think of how hard it was for guys like Teddy Roosevelt to get there.

Don't worry about it. I didn't post this to discourage people ! I did it so as one could be prepared for what could happen. The wife and I aren't mad about it . As she says its always an adventure. It was totally worth it to go. Would I book with United again YES ! Would I look at other flights YES. But all told if I had to go through the same thing to hunt Africa I would . Plus I would never go with out my gun. I just try and think of how hard it was for guys like Teddy Roosevelt to get there.
Don't worry, nothing could discourage me from going to Africa lol . Yeah it had to be a bitch back then!!

Never say never Newboomer. It's what keeps us getting vertical every morning. LOL
Oh, I haven't said never, just not for the forseeable future. I may not have space for mounts but that doesn't preclude cull hunts and the fun of a hunt.

The door to airplane was still open. The doors to walk way ramp were closed so we could still go.
Im not saying there was not a problem for the flight when leaving Idaho. But it is preventable. When United came to this part of Idaho they had 2 flights per day to Denver. 1 at 5:30 AM 1 at 6:00 pm
They did away with both flights and dropped a new one right in the middle of the day at 1:00. Why if lift and runway are a problem because of heat would you not leave the 5 AM flight in place ? They have been taking 10 people off the plane and giving them a 1500.00 voucher to not fly everyday for over a month. Now they are flying from here to Boise with less fuel and re fueling there. Than fly to Denver. This airport is in a town of 30,000 people so this is just a connector flight. Delta and Alaska air both have direct flights to Boise. Ha Ha just things that make you go HUH ?
I wonder how flights from DIA at 5200' even when it's in the the upper 90s or low 100s can take off and they couldn't in Idaho? Runway length? Maybe some aviation expert here could chime in?

Has to be runway length, here at 6500' flights are restricted to how may passengers and luggage they can take off with. They lengthened the runway about 1/2 a mile and up the weight limit. They can land with a lot more weight than they can take off with.

Same experience I had. United cancelled And was always late. Employees were great, really trying to help.

Update all bags have been found and returned to all involved .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross