Options for red stag

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This probably doesn't fit in this category so Mods you can move this to wherever it belongs.
I just wanted to get some ideas from the guys in the know. What are the options for red stag? I know New Zealand is a big one and I think Argentina. What are other countries where they are available, what do you feel is the best location for the money? I'm not looking for the biggest necessarily, just a good hunt that is fair chase. No high fence stuff. Also if you have been on a couple different hunts then what would you say is the most fun, interesting place to hunt them as far as getting to hang out with the locals, the food and all around enjoyment of the entire experience, not just the hunt itself.

@Backyardsniper I think you are correct about looking at Argentina or NZ.

@Caza y Safaris Argentina is an AH sponsor and looking at their website, they look like a great option at a very good price.

Scotland is another option: https://www.royaloutfittersuk.com/

I did a NZ hunt in 2019, and it was based on a number of hunt reports from AH members. It was a good hunt on a budget. NZ is a long, long flight from the US. If you can spend some extra time, the south island is stunning! You could also go visit @Von Gruff and pick up a knife or two.

Last edited:
I have heard good things about Algar Safaris in Argentina. Never been, but have friends who went and had a great time. Free range area.

Scotland, Ireland, and Eastern Europe are also good. I haven’t hunted them, but I have spent a fair amount of time around them on the British Isles and HUNTROMANIA looks like a quality outfit. Travel to Europe is much less painful than NZ or Argentina.

For a representative trophy stag, I really think Europe is the best value, especially now with the euro and dollar on par. The Pyrenees in southern France offer good pricing in Western Europe. Poland can offer very good pricing in Central Europe. The Romania hunt offers posted here are worth investigating, seem like a quality outfitter. The hunting in Europe is well managed and very easy to fly to.
The hunt report of the free range stag posted above is largest free range stag I’ve ever seen from New Zealand by far. Most free range stags from New Zealand are considerably smaller. Most/all of the outfitters you see cater to and advertise American are high fenced operations. If it’s a big stag, it’s 100% behind a fence. The high fenced stags are a byproduct of the velvet and meat industry. They are larger body, horn, and have a different temperament than wild stags. The small wild stags will actually kill the farm stags during rut if get in fence because more aggressive temperament. The New Zealand guides association maintains a list of members. If you wanted to find very reasonable prices on wild stags you could send lots of emails to these more unknown guides in the South Island and probably find a great hunt. I really like the people/guides in NZ. I’m just not interested in hunting a high fence stag there again after the differences I saw. I’d hunt free range no hesitation. I hunted north and South Island on two hunts, saw lots of farm and wild stags both trips. NZ is also a very long way to fly and expensive flight.
The big advantage of Argentina and NZ I see is being able to hunt roar in Mach/April instead of mid-late September in Europe.

This probably doesn't fit in this category so Mods you can move this to wherever it belongs.
I just wanted to get some ideas from the guys in the know. What are the options for red stag? I know New Zealand is a big one and I think Argentina. What are other countries where they are available, what do you feel is the best location for the money? I'm not looking for the biggest necessarily, just a good hunt that is fair chase. No high fence stuff. Also if you have been on a couple different hunts then what would you say is the most fun, interesting place to hunt them as far as getting to hang out with the locals, the food and all around enjoyment of the entire experience, not just the hunt itself
Hello,

If you are interested in hunt a red stag, Argentina it's a very good option between all the option than the guys also offer you. Here you have the possibilty also of mixing with another trophies as Fallow deer, blackbuck, axis deer, w.buffalo, capybaras, mouflon, multi horned sheep, feral goat, feral ram and more. Also the very famous Argentina small game, dove, pigeon ducks and partridge

We have been in this business for more than 40 years serving the needs of our hunters. We have been sponsors from AH from a few years.

Our lodge is located very near to the international airport, only 3 hours by 4wd. Usually all the hunters arrives early at the morning, we pick them up in the airport and we go directly to the lodge so you can rest and in the afternoon we can start to look for the red stag or other trophies you have in mind!
We also offer Red Stag mountain hunt in Patagonia !

Right now we have a special for next year season as early bird us$ 5500 5 days with a free blackbuck (all trophies are medal class, this prices are for bronze/silver) if you are interested in bigger sizes we also offer them!

Several references at your disposal.

Let me know if you have any question or doubt, i'm at your disposal.

Regards
Federico
colorado vena.jpg
7e6daa41-1857-499f-b257-85207e1197ba.JPG

51687F72-F33D-40AC-B922-6500458CC190.JPG

I did not really think about Scotland. Argentina is definitely on my list and I want to shoot dove and ducks down there anyway. I might be able to work out some kind of combo with that. Scotland is so very much on my lost and it would be nice to get to hunt while I anywhere. Never been to Romania but I want to see that as well. I'm gonna have to do some serious studying on this, I was not expecting this many really viable options.

I have seriously considered Argentina. In the past the dip/pack/shipping has been an issue for some. Those might not now be an issue. Has kept me from going in the past. If you want to go to New Zealand I have a guy that is quite reasonable. He has free range as well as high fence options. I posted a hunt report with him 7-8 yrs ago........ Send me a PM if you want his info.
Bruce

I'm gonna have to do some serious studying on this, I was not expecting this many really viable options.
I really think there are many more good options for hunting red stag than there are for elk in North America. The success rates are very high and in Europe and Argentina you don’t see shooting young stags like you do for elk in certain areas. Nearly every country in Europe offers commercial hunting opportunities for stags, although aside from Spain and Scotland not advertised the best to Americans. Then Argentina and New Zealand for introduced opportunities on red stag. So many elk hunting outfitters are marginal at best. I think it’s much easier to select a hunt for red stag because there isn’t such a variance in quality.

I did not really think about Scotland. Argentina is definitely on my list and I want to shoot dove and ducks down there anyway. I might be able to work out some kind of combo with that. Scotland is so very much on my lost and it would be nice to get to hunt while I anywhere. Never been to Romania but I want to see that as well. I'm gonna have to do some serious studying on this, I was not expecting this many really viable options.
From my research on scotland, you are not likely to kill a trophy head on a free range hunt. 1. They don't grow huge like the above pictured Argentina ones. 2. They are a management hunt. Its going to look like a raghorn elk.

Scotland is about the experience (not to mention cheap price). If I were to hunt there, I would make sure a highland pony is in tow and not a 4 wheeler

From my research on scotland, you are not likely to kill a trophy head on a free range hunt. 1. They don't grow huge like the above pictured Argentina ones. 2. They are a management hunt. Its going to look like a raghorn elk.

Scotland is about the experience (not to mention cheap price). If I were to hunt there, I would make sure a highland pony is in tow and not a 4 wheeler
You really need to count Scottish stags as a subspecies from continental stags, same with Spanish stags. The Eastern European stags are more comparable to elk while Scottish stags are more comparable to deer. There are properties where you can take trophy stags with nice crowns that would make very pretty mount but still wouldn’t be comparable to a stag from Eastern Europe in mass. The Scottish stags you are saying are comparable to a rag horn elk are often called hill stags.

Just wrapped up a hunt in Ireland (headed home tomorrow)… Red Stag abound… hunt report in a couple of days.. (I didn’t take a red.. but a couple of other guys in camp took beauties…. I was chasing something else…)…

The outfitter, Celtic Field Sports was extremely good.. every hunter in camp was very happy with the lodge and the results…

If you want to hunt a red stag in its natural environment, no fences, etc then head to Europe - Romania or Hungary are good options. PM me if you want any pointers. Scotland is also an option for the 'highland experience'.

Heading to NZ, finally, only 3 years in the works. Hopefully have report in Mar 2023. Hunting with New Zealand Safaris.

If you want to hunt a red stag in its natural environment, no fences, etc then head to Europe - Romania or Hungary are good options. PM me if you want any pointers. Scotland is also an option for the 'highland experience'.
Thanks man. I may shoot you a PM later and get some details.

I just wanted to get some ideas from the guys in the know. What are the options for red stag? I know New Zealand is a big one and I think Argentina. What are other countries where they are available, what do you feel is the best location for the money? I'm not looking for the biggest necessarily, just a good hunt that is fair chase. No high fence stuff. Also if you have been on a couple different hunts then what would you say is the most fun, interesting place to hunt them as far as getting to hang out with the locals, the food and all around enjoyment of the entire experience, not just the hunt itself.

Hello,

I will send you our info on private!

Best regards.

Stalking red deer in Scotland is a fantastic and unique experience. This film gives you an idea of how it is generally done. There are many other videos around that document stalking in Scotland.

Like Axis and Fallow deer, Red Deer are high-fenced managed all over the planet. So if you want to kill one, any petting zoo will do.

But if you want the spiritual experience, I think of no better place than Scotland. Shoot an honest, wild, mature, less-than-trophy quality specimen while staying in an old manor or castle. It will set you back $12,000-$14,000 but its the experience that you're after, not the killing. There is a well known fellow that has access to Balmoral and the adjacent properties at that pricepoint. I'd suggest you hunt the Queen's deer (okay, King's deer now) and have the once in a lifetime experience with the native animal on their native land. Bagpipes will be playing when you blow the horn at the end of the hunt. Can't get much better than that.

Like Axis and Fallow deer, Red Deer are high-fenced managed all over the planet. So if you want to kill one, any petting zoo will do.

But if you want the spiritual experience, I think of no better place than Scotland. Shoot an honest, wild, mature, less-than-trophy quality specimen while staying in an old manor or castle. It will set you back $12,000-$14,000 but its the experience that you're after, not the killing. There is a well known fellow that has access to Balmoral and the adjacent properties at that pricepoint. I'd suggest you hunt the Queen's deer (okay, King's deer now) and have the once in a lifetime experience with the native animal on their native land. Bagpipes will be playing when you blow the horn at the end of the hunt. Can't get much better than that.
Yeah that is what I am after. The price on that is reasonable. I am looking at Romania, but I would certainly like to hunt them in Scotland. I have no interest in any high fence stuff. I am much more interested in the experience than I am just putting a bullet in something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross