ARGENTINA: Doves, Ducks, Perdiz & A Bit Of Tango With MG Hunting In Argentina

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Mexico, Central & South America' started by Red Leg, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    In early July, my lovely bride and old friends from South Carolina left Houston for a week in Argentina for one of our hunting/tourist trips. I had hunted Argentina twice before, once with Marcelo Gil's great operation in Cordoba for doves, and was really looking forward to renewing acquaintances with him and his first class team. Our goals this trip included ducks, doves, pigeons, and perdiz. Results were as expected - spectacular.

IMG_2181.jpg

We were met at the airport in Buenos Aires by Marcelo's son, and were soon on the way for the 3 1/2 hour drive to the estancia. With business class tickets, both Nancy and I had slept well on the overnight flight. One of the best things about going south rather than east or west is even though the seasons change, one does not have to contend with jet lag. Argentina is within an hour or two of time zones anywhere in North America.

The estancia was a late 19th century ranch with much of the period furniture still present. We were extremely comfortable with warm fires blazing in fireplaces throughout the casa. Food was excellent and the Argentine Malbecs were rich and red. And I should probably add, if you don't care for fabulous beef, don't go.

IMG_2076.jpg

Our first morning was cold with a howling wind. Marcelo suggested doves would be a better choice in those conditions than ducks, and soon Rick and I were posted along a fence line trying to hit the little gray missiles hurtling past. Hunting doves in Buenos Aires Province is not the same as a thousand round day in Cordoba. But it is better dove shooting that you will see outside that sort of venue. In a couple of hours we downed over sixty, and were on our way back for a warm lunch.

That evening and the following two days we concentrated on ducks. My best morning was 56 and 14 different species. However, my favorite day was the afternoon we hunted perdiz. They are hunted in style that is similar to sharp-tail in wide open, but somewhat marshy ground. They are typically singles, and prefer to launch at twenty yards or so. I was hunting over a wonderful little English pointer. I ended up firing at fourteen Perdiz - missed one, sailed one, and bagged an even dozen. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good! Just a great gamebird.

IMG_2155.jpg

Another fascinating thing about Argentine waterfowl, is that only the lowly shoveler is familiar to a North American hunter. Several species of teal, a couple of exotic pintail, the impressive rosybill pochard and whistling ducks make for a really interesting bag.

IMG_2132.jpg

Much too quickly it was time to head back to Buenos Aires for a few days of playing tourist, retail therapy for the girls, a great tango show, and more wonderful Argentine beef and Malbec wines. I should note that Argentina is going trough a significant economic crisis that has lowered the Peso's value significantly. When last there, the peso was approximately 17 pesos to the dollar. While we were there it was forty-seven; this morning it is nearly sixty. It is a terrible situation for the Argentine people, but it is like shopping in a nation-wide half-price sale. Argentine leather goods are superb.

IMG_2343.jpg

Marcelo, who is one of our sponsors, ably assisted by his sons and Rocket, runs a first class operation in Argentina. If you have never gone, consider it. It is friendly, safe destination which offers simply incredible hunting opportunities. High-volume dove shooting in Cordoba has to seen to be believed, and the waterfowl hunting is unique in my experience. Their red stag hunting has a world class reputation, and my son and I will be headed that way in '21.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    IdaRam, Pheroze, jeff and 8 others like this.

2. MG Hunting

MG Hunting SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for the report! It was and it will always be a pleasure to have you hunting with us. Looking forward to have you hunting with us once again on 2021.

3. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    Another great report! Joe you seem to find fun and great hunting anywhere you go. Congratulations!

MG Hunting likes this.

4. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Wow! Another great adventure. The variety of game birds is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

MG Hunting likes this.

5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Great trip.
    Incredible selection of species.

Are the Perdiz like Partridge?

Red Leg likes this.

6. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing with us!

MG Hunting likes this.

7. Red Leg

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Yes - and are considered so by the local hunters. However, the habitat is more like where one would find snipe, and they behave a lot like sharpies. Just a great game bird.

8. Mike Van Horn

Mike Van Horn AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    A hunt with Red Stag and Perdiz would be a good time. Not sure they are in the same area though

9. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    I wasn't familiar with Perdiz, so I Googled them and read this article. Apparently Phil Bourjaily at Field and Stream Magazine thinks well of the Perdiz too.

Memo to self: Add Perdiz to the bucket list.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-gun-nuts/perdiz-the-greatest-upland-gamebird/

Red Leg likes this.

10. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    RL..............thanks for report. That last photo shows Argentines really dress nicely for those after-shoot dinners..............:ROFLMAO:.....................can't wait to go there one day.....FWB

11. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    Thanks for the report, excellent. Excuse me for my lack of bird hunting knowledge but what does it mean to sail one?

12. Red Leg

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Wounded and not found. He was hit, glided for a couple of hundred yards, and neither we nor the dog we’re able to locate him.

13. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    Thanks, always want to learn. Looks like a good time!

Red Leg likes this.

14. ROCKET

ROCKET AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, South Africa
    What a good report.....soo glad for your hunt Joe......We have been hunting together here in Cordoba many years a go......about 13 maybe hahaha time goes by......my dissapointment was not to have the chance to share this hunt with you there, bussy hunting here......next time my friend for sure........very well done for you, the hunters, and the MG team where I take a part......our placer to have the chance to keep on supporting hunters from all over the world in our country.....

Lets keep on hunting........

Best Regards Joe.......!!!

Red Leg likes this.

15. Red Leg

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Hopefully see you in La Pampa in ‘21 for red stag!

Best my friend, Joe

ROCKET likes this.