Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I'd like to know what other members are using for optics on their shotguns and for what purpose they are intended. This is my journey thought this minefield and how I made my decision.

For every need there is a proper tool. Most recently I have purchased a Beretta 1301 Tactical shotgun for home defense. To that end I thought it would be wise to research optics for this platform and purpose. I was focusing my research on red dot reflex sight that will co-witness with my irons. The two companies that stood out were Trijicon (RMR & SRO) and Holosun (407, 507, 508, EPS & SPS).

Trijicon was an obvious choice for the number of military contracts, legendary durability and high quality.

Holosun doesn't have the big military contracts, but is gaining favor with law enforcement agencies. By now you've scrolled down and seen the picture...I bought a Holosun 508T, so let me give you my reasons why I chose it over the Trijicon competitors.

First is the battery...specifically what it takes to change it. The Holosun opitcs I was looking at (maybe all of them, but I didn't check) have a battery compartment tray that is accessible without having to remove the optic from the mount. This is not the case with Trijicon, which requires removing the optic from the mount, changing the battery, reinstalling & torquing the screws. Now it needs to be re-zeroed. Many law enforcement agencies do not allow the individual officers to perform this task, instead handing it off to the armorer. With the Holosun it's a simple operation that anyone can do and doesn't require a re-zero of the firearm.

Second - Durability. I'm not in the military (although I served in the Navy) and do not require the same equipment that our fighting forces do. That said, I'm not exactly easy on gear. Hunting can be rough sometimes, and so can a home defense situation. After much deliberation and research, it was my decision that the Holosun offered a level of durability that I'm not likely to surpass. Drop test, water rating, recoil testing on pistols, shotguns and rifles...the results were impressive.

Third - Reticle options. Trijicon offers dots of varying sizes on each model, but there is only one dot available on each model. The user is not able to change the dot size or add a ring. Not the case with Holosun. Depending on the optic you choose, on the same model the user can change from a dot to a dot-circle to just a circle. Some models offer up to three different circle sizes depending on what you would like for any given situation. The HS507COMP has this feature, it's pretty neat.

Fourth - Shake awake technology. It's simple. If the firearm (with the optic installed) is moved, the optic turns on. In addition to this, the model I chose has a sensor to detect the ambient light and automatically adjust the brightness setting. So in a low light condition the reticle is more dim, and when it's in direct sunlight it's all the way on high...all done automatically.

Price or value, however you would like to put this. I chose Holosun for what was in the package and would have been happy to pay more than the cost of an RMR to get it. The fact is that it was several hundred dollars cheaper than the Trijicon I was looking at. It made the decision all that much easier, but everyone will have their own opinion when it comes to this and what they are comparing.

This is not my first time with an optic on a shotgun. My first foray into this was a Vortex red dot (Viper or Venom but I don't remember) that was mounted on my SBE2 and used for turkey hunting. This optic failed and had I not checked my zero before going hunting, I would have missed several feet to the left at just 40 yards. I was forced to find tools to remove it and hunted with open sights which worked out just fine for me. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of anything Vortex anymore.

If I were to do it again on a turkey gun, I would be looking at Holosun products first. I'm not a rep. This is not a paid endorsement. I just found equipment that works for me. I'd like to see what others are using on their shotguns. Post some pics and let us know what lead you to that choice.

Beretta 1301 Tactical with Aridus Industries rear mount and Holosun 508T.
1684067951078.png

Here's the whole rig. I added the spacers at the back of the stock to get the LOP right along with an extended choke from Carlson's.
1684068179189.png

Also wanted to give an honorable mention to the Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical shotgun that can be had from the factory with a Holosun HS407K mounted directly to the receiver...no adapter. This keeps the sight as low to the bore as possible. It was also brought to my attention by @Backyardsniper that this would make a really good platform for turkey hunting. Of course a magazine plug would be needed, but the short barrel length combined with the low mounted optic could be a killer combination.
1684077926528.png

I have had Burris Fastfires on my 2 Bennelli turkey guns for over 10 years and lots of shots with tungsten 12 gauge 3 inch rounds. Never a zero issue. Also used them on my slug guns when I lived in NY.

No current knowledge for help on the RD advice, I've been out of the gun games too long. But the Holosun appears to be a good option from what I've read.

Aimpoint was always considered an excellent choice of course.

The two Aimpoints I've owned for a couple of decades (more or less) are still working and in use. I did a ghost ring on the M1 S90, which worked for me, but only in daylight, obviously. RDs on a shotgun just kick ass in low light, (100 yards w/ slugs with no light at the shooter will prove this beyond a doubt).

The ability to co- witness the irons thru a RD is a cool feature. But do practice with the dot turned off. My 3G FAL and closet AR are set up this way with the Aimpoints. When the battery cap came loose on my FAL during a "FAL match" once, I was still able to finish the stage and took 2nd place.

Battery life is also important, IMO. I leave mine turned on and change batteries about once per year.

Edited out the double post....

The only Disadvantage I see with a Red Dot on a shotgun is movers (flyers). While not ideal, I can raise my head a little and shoot skeet with the Benelli.

@shootist~ - Excellent advice and thank you.

The rear sight I have is a modified ghost ring, basically has the top half of the ring cut off to "unclutter" the sight picture when using a red dot. Glad to hear you were able to complete your course of fire despite the loose battery cap. I'll be sure an perform proper dry fire and live fire practice. Thanks again.

Optics battery changes are scheduled for New Years Day each year. Along with the smoke detectors, CO monitors, security system...the list never ends. :ROFLMAO:

Shooting a Benelli M4 I'm running an Aimpoint H1 on it. I have thought about a T1/T2 several times. I just don't see myself reaching for this platform when things go bump in the night. Sight is to low to use with NV. Have played with it shooting clays and running slugs at 100 yards. All went where they should have.

Let us know how you like the 1301, have been thinking about picking one up myself.

I built a custom 12 bore, 3" bolt action smoothbore specifically for turkey shooting. For that purpose built gun, I used a Docter RMR sight in a low mount using a 3MOA red dot.

Personally, other than that unique situation where I need to "aim" a shotgun vs "point" a shotgun, I can't think of another scenario where i'd want anything electronic on a scattergun. For personal defense, I'd just assume a very bright, easily seen bead.

The key to proficiency with a shotgun (unless you're literally aiming one which is a rare thing) is to have a perfect alignment of your eye to the rib so you can shoot the second the gun hits your cheek. Any optical solutions are going to undermine that instinctive shooting approach where you're left "searching" for target.

The turkey can wait 3 seconds for me to aim small, but for a perp or a flying bird, you want a gun built for instinctive shooting.

YMMV

@rookhawk - I'm no stranger to instinctive shooting for both rifle and shotgun on moving game. For this reason, it's my opinion that proper fit of a firearm is critical.

When I first got the 1301 and brought it up to my shoulder, I was more than a little scared that it might be going back in the box for a return. The fit was awful. After adding the shims to the buttstock to correct the LOP, everything was sorted out. I'm not positive about this but when I looked in the middle of the stock, it had a plate that resembles the ones used on my Benelli SBE3. It might be adjustable for cast and drop with a shim the same way the SBE3 is. Once again I'm not sure about this, but it looks like it.

Still waiting to go to the range and see what adjustments are needed to the sights, but I have a good feeling about this one. Even my wife is excited!

@BeeMaa my A400 Extreme has the the shims. I would think what you are seeing is correct. Mine came with a couple different offsets shims. You might be able to order some different offsets if yours did not come with any.

1301 uses the A400 action so I should have known. It's really just a change of furniture. Appreciate the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg