Optics for S&W 500

Skshyk

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have been shooting my 500 for many years now. I would like to start hunting with it, any suggestions on optics. I do have a old Leupold hand gun scope I am going to test out. I have never had a red dot, I would like to try it out. Any brand or model anyone can suggest ?

Thanks

Since you have it I'd try the Leopold out first and see how you like it.

I have a Buris 2-7x32 on a Thompson Center Contender in 7-30 Waters and enjoy it. However if I was to do it again I would look for a fixed power scope. Very seldom have I ever shot it on 7x since the field of view is shrunk quite a bit along with the eye relief shortening up.

I think that a 4x would be just fine.

The old Leupolds are highly desirable, for a reason. If you have one that’s a good start. I use a fixed 2x on a Freedom Arms .454 and it is a very effective combo.

For a red dot, the Aimpoint Micro is the king for durability on a handgun. I really like the red dot on a hunting handgun, my Jack Huntington .500 Linebaugh Super Redhawk has a T1 on a Weigand mount and it’s been excellent.

That isn’t to say there aren’t other good, durable red dots, I just prefer closed emitters on hunting handguns. I’ve use Aimpoints since my first trip to Afghanistan in 2002 and still use them wherever applicable to this day, they’re phenomenal.

Big bore handgun conversions are my favorite hobby, I’ve tried about everything under the sun at this point. The singleactions.com forums have a huge amount of information and it’s very well moderated like this forum. Certainly worth a look if you haven’t been over here before.

Last edited:
Really doesn't help, however, saw Taurus & their reintroduction.
1703636115110.png

Just ordered rings and bases. Had to dig deep to find the scope, bought this maybe 10 years ago and never mounted it. Nothing like starting a new project! I may order that Aimpoint Macro let’s see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_8905.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8906.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
For a red dot, the Aimpoint Micro is the king for durability on a handgun. I really like the red dot on a hunting handgun, my Jack Huntington .500 Linebaugh Super Redhawk has a T1 on a Weigand mount and it’s been excellent.

That’s JoninCO what MOA would you recommend ?

I prefer the 2MOA as you can dial up the brightness to bloom and appear larger but it gives a very refined aiming point. The 4MOA is very well suited also, and probably a little more forgiving in unsupported positions as the apparent movement (the wobble zone) isn’t as noticeable.

Got some choices at the range tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_8921.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8923.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
If you’ve never used a red dot, don’t mind the apparent movement. You’re no less stable that you were with irons, but you see your instability much more with a 2MOA dot vs a 35-65MOA iron sight.

Embrace the wobble zone, apply the fundamentals, and don’t try to ambush a 2MOA spot on the target. That gun will be capable of a high degree of accuracy at very impressive ranges.

In my former life I worked on the integration/training of handgun mounted optics into operational use, and there’s a learning curve but the results are pretty great once you get used to them. A Glock with an RMR inside a house isn’t apples to apples exactly, but I hunt with big bore revolvers a lot now too with great results. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Last edited:
On my .460 is an Aimpoint 9000 with Nightforce rings. So far, so good.

Finally got a chance to get to the range and test out the scope. I had a very hard time getting the target in sights with the scope and even harder time trying to get on paper. I had to turn down 1 1/2 full spins on the turret to finally get on paper as it was shooting high. I defiantly liked the red dot much better and it was easier and faster to get on target. But going to give it a few more range trips to make my decision. The below target was shot off sticks @ 50 yards.

unnamed (1).jpg

I have a Leupold VX3 2.5x-8x on mine and I am very pleased with it.
I was able to get 4-6 inch groups at 100 yards.
IMG_2787c.jpg

Wow that is impressive! I had a bone collector in the 460, I really regret selling it.
I have a close friend with a .460 S&W with an 8 in. barrel and muzzle brake. The 460 is an amazing round.

We've gone to the range together and sit waaaaay far away from others. Those muzzle brakes are LOUD!

The 460's & 500's wouldn't make good carry guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LottieStok

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.