Optics for my new rifle

Shawn Daly

Reaction score
I just purchased a Winchester model 70 375 H&H pre-1964. I shot the same gun in April of 2023 harvesting a cow-capped buff while in South Africa. The PH had a Vortex scope on his 375. I'm looking for suggestions for optics, I like the idea of a red-dot system for 100 yards or closer. I also like the versatility of the 375 for shooting medium-sized antelope which would require magnification. Just looking to see what type of optics people are using on their medium bore rifles, thanks in advance for any information.

Shawn D.

First question is what’s your budget. Many good options from $500 - $2,500
I personally like swaro Z6 or Z8 - illuminated reticle
I'd like to stay under $1,000. I currently have a Leupold VX3i 3.5x10 on my 7mm that I use for plains game. I was considering putting this on my 375 and getting better glass for my 7mm.

My setup: VX6 1-6x and VX6 2-12x. Both illuminated and both have QR mounts.
If I only had 1 scope to cover everything from buff to duiker, in your price range I’d look at the Leupold VX5 2-10x illuminated. 2x has enough field of view for close buffalo, but also 10x is enough for croc which I believe requires the most accurate shot of all Africa game.
I really like the illuminated dot in my scopes. It draws my eye to it faster than cross hairs and really shows up well on dark animals in the shade. Cape buffalo and black bears (or wet Kodiak bears) are prime examples.
Lots of luck in your choices!

I use a 338WinMag for similar use and have a Zeiss Diavari V 1.5-6x42mm 30mm tube on it. there are bigger cartridges for DG and there is great versatility in the .33 bore; but for your question. I have S&B, Zeiss, Leupold & others and I really like the 1.5-6x power range in a scope to be used for game from muzzle to 300 yards.

Think about what you can afford today. Then think about what you can afford if you wait 5 months and put some extra C notes aside. In the latter scenario you can stretch that budget to a top of the line scope that you will likely use for 10-20 years and never want to change. Your vision will only deteriorate with age. Invest in that now.

I'm looking for suggestions for optics, I like the idea of a red-dot system for 100 yards or closer.
Swaro Z6 1.7-10x42, illuminated reticule. Got this, for my zkk 602, 375.
Has proved well for me, on African hunting grounds.

with qd mounts you could have a scope for plains game etc and a red dot sight for big game, close stuff

Midway USA has in stock right now Leopold vx3hd 1.5-5x24 with firedot reticle and 30 mm tube $699.99

If you are interested in this scope check with me. Can beat that price for AHers and no sales taxes.

I just purchased a Winchester model 70 375 H&H pre-1964. I shot the same gun in April of 2023 harvesting a cow-capped buff while in South Africa. The PH had a Vortex scope on his 375. I'm looking for suggestions for optics, I like the idea of a red-dot system for 100 yards or closer. I also like the versatility of the 375 for shooting medium-sized antelope which would require magnification. Just looking to see what type of optics people are using on their medium bore rifles, thanks in advance for any information.

Shawn D.
I use Swaro Z8 1.3-13X, illuminated with red dot or DG circle dot. On low power it is effectively a red dot yet I can shoot out to distance in PG etc. There is nothing better!

Great rifle! Enough recoil to need a durable scope. Recommend the best low light capabilities one can afford. Something in the 2-10 range makes great versatility on a 375.

For 1K the Trijicon 1x6. I've had the 1x6 mil-dot version on my 9.3x62 for a number of months and very happy with it so far. Reticle includes a daylight bright dot so long as there is a little sunlight.

Lots of good options listed, but the $1,000 budget rules many out. I think pretty much all German glass with the exception of Swaro Z3 is out of the budget range. I bought my VX6 1-6x24 illuminated scopes for roughy your number. My guess is they are above that now. They make a good choice on a .375. The VX5 line seems to be decent and can likely be had for $1k if you shop around. Depending on your magnification requirements they have 2-10 and 1-5 options. I have their 3-15 on a .325 and am happy with it.

Everything I've found while researching indicates that the VX5 and VX6 use exactly the same glass. The significant difference in price is due to the 6x magnification range, the Alumina caps (which are excellent, btw) being included with the VX6, and the fact that 6 has to be better than 5.

My ideal scope for a .375 would be very similar to my ideal for my .308, namely something in the 2-10x range with good light gathering capability, simple illuminated reticle, and preferably without side focus. For me, that means a z6i 1.7-10x42, which is well outside your budget (and mine too, at the moment). Meopta has a similar scope at about half the price that gets excellent reviews, but I don't remember the model name, nor have I ever managed to put my hands on one. It's still out of budget, but not as egregiously as the Swaro.

I REALLY like the Trijicon Accupoints and have them in 3-9x40 and 2.5-12.5x42 flavors. The 2.5-12.5 meets most of my wish list, except that it has side focus. They offer a 1-6 as well. One potential issue with them is bolt clearance. You may have trouble with the bolt clearing the huge occular in low rings. It doesn't clear on either my Defiance or my Christensen, so it ended up on the Mesa Summit instead. Any of the Accupoints could be found under budget. Be aware that there are several iterations of the Accupoint depending on the specific model. The 3-9x40 and 2.5-10x56 are older models and have less eye relief and a different illumination design.

I looked at the VX5 2-10 with illumination and compared it to the z6i and a z8i. The Leupold falls a little short of the Swarovskis in low light, but it's really close considering the substantial price difference. I may yet end up with one for the Defiance (currently wearing the 3-9 Accupoint) unless I can talk myself into spending the money on the z6i.

The Leica Amplus line is another to look at. Again, slightly over budget, but very nice. Some of them have fairly short tube lengths, so you may need offset rings to get it on a .375.

FWIW, my .375 has a discontinued Leupold VXR 2-7 on it.

I prefer Leupold optics now over others. Eye relief is better for me. VX5 vrs VX6
Both use the same glass for lens VX6 has more power range and exposed windage CDS style windage. The ideal 375 scope to me is the VX5 2-10 FireDot. Or the VX6 2-12 FireDot. The VX5 can be got for under $1000. I used the VX5 for years on my 375 and just went to VX6 because I wanted the extra power up to 12 for longer shots if needed on plains game. With the CDS shots to 300 yards are no an issue if you have the CDS set correctly for your load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldaddy

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.