Opinions please: .375 H&H Custom Built on Remington 1917 Action

jpr9954

AH elite
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
I am looking at a Remington 1917 custom rifle that was rebarreled to .375 H&H. I am trying to figure the top price I should bid on this. The top bid with less than 6 days to go is $210.

The plus side for me is that it is listed as a Curio and Relic which would allow me to use my C&R FFL to have it delivered straight to my door. That plus it is a CRF rifle.

See the picture below:

1710089371310.png

The stock looks to be well done with some nice checkering and a safari style cheek piece. The downsides that I see are that it doesn't have a recoil pad and that there is no crossbolt(s) in the stock. The barrel length is 23 1/8".

Looking at the underside of the rifle, you can see it has a blind magazine with no bottom metal.

1710089666379.png

What say you? Bid or just wait for a Win 70 or an Interarms Mauser at a fair price?

Of course buy it! If you don’t like it trade it off. I’d stay under 7 bills on it in case there are any surprises. The limited pictures don’t tell the whole story. Stock looks well done and I like the fact it has a steel butt plate, looks clean. You can’t really have to many 375’s

I would think it may hit $1000 and could easily go more. They are very big actions and can accept amount any cartridge. I have them in 416 wby 505 Gibbs and 585 nyati. Also had a 460 wby and smaller stuff. Done right they make a nice rifle. They are very strong.

I would think it may hit $1000 and could easily go more. They are very big actions and can accept amount any cartridge. I have them in 416 wby 505 Gibbs and 585 nyati. Also had a 460 wby and smaller stuff. Done right they make a nice rifle. They are very strong.
I agree about the strength of the actions. I have one in .308 Norma Magnum and another in .358 Norma Magnum.

Barreled action alone is worth far more than $210. The Remington Enfield is considered the best of the Enfield's. Good steel and no duck pond in the rear bridge. (I just purchased a NOS 458 Douglas barrel, $250. From Douglas it is about $350.)

I would ditch the scope mounts, the rear mount blocks fast reloading. Install some nice QD mounts that do not overhang the loading port.

I would add cross bolts and a nice thick pad.

Add some NECG iron sights and you will have a fine Safari rifle.

I had some Remington m30’s that had enfield actions , I would set my limit @ $1000 just as a suprise precaution, great rifle GLWS

Very reliable dangerous game action. The Enfield Model 1917 is one of my personal favorites.

Buy it and don't look back.

What's with the FFL exemption for "curio"? Is that a gun that's been disabled, i.e. made inoperable? If it's been changed to a decoration, I don't think it's worth more than a couple hundred bucks.

What's with the FFL exemption for "curio"? Is that a gun that's been disabled, i.e. made inoperable? If it's been changed to a decoration, I don't think it's worth more than a couple hundred bucks.
Curio and relic exemptions are for older firearms. Not sure on the date that allows eligibility for the exemption, but 1917 certainly falls in that category. Essentially antique collectibles don’t need to ship to a normal FFL dealer.

In this case, manufactured at least 50yrs ago.

Here’s the deal:

As for the rifle in question, the 1917 action deserves more admiration than it gets.
I have a very nice Griffin & Howe in 333 G&H Super Mag.

Curio and relic exemptions are for older firearms. Not sure on the date that allows eligibility for the exemption, but 1917 certainly falls in that category. Essentially antique collectibles don’t need to ship to a normal FFL dealer.
Anything made in 1973 or before is eligible as is anything included on the specified list of Curios and Relics. I have used my FFL over the years to collect mostly military surplus rifles. However lately I've been trending towards older sporting rifles and shotguns as more and more have become eligible under the 50 year rule.

In this case, manufactured at least 50yrs ago.

Here’s the deal:

I presume the dot eleven in the reg title means it became law in 2011. Something I didn't know (I left the States in '89). Interesting. I guess that's a huge reason to step up to old sporterized military rifles for hunting. Second reason is they're cheaper than buying new.

I've never been particularly enamored with the 1917 Enfield but I have seen a few that were fixed up into nice rifles. Using them as a build project can be a bit more expensive than either Springfield or Mauser. Besides carving off those super hard ears, the bottom metal is usually changed to something less pregnant. Changing one to 3-position Model 70 style safety is quite expensive. I believe Myers is the only one making them at $500 each. Similar Mauser safeties can be got for $200-$300. Springfield @ $300. Many choose to keep the dogleg bolt handle. I believe it will clear scope as is? I believe the 1917 Remington has ears and bolt altered? They are one of the strongest if not the strongest military bolt action so capable of being built into a monster sporting rifle. I have a P14 junker wasting space in my safe and have thought about building something but it's just not cost effective.

IMG_0141.png
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0138.jpeg

This was a 1917 Remington

IMG_0141.png
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0138.jpeg
image5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way to look at “what’s it worth” (which the auction will most precisely determine). I think the best 375 express rifles likely have open sights, barrel band sling swivel, recoil pad, cross bolts that you mentioned and perhaps an ebony forend tip to boot. If this rifle had all of that, how much would it bring? $1500 to $2500? What would all that cost to add?

There is certainly value here, but I’d recommend staying conservative.

I presume the dot eleven in the reg title means it became law in 2011. Something I didn't know (I left the States in '89). Interesting. I guess that's a huge reason to step up to old sporterized military rifles for hunting. Second reason is they're cheaper than buying new.
Actually, it became law in 1968 as part of the Gun Control Act of 1968. The "dot eleven" just denotes it is Subsection 11 of the Section 478 within 27 Code of Federal Regulations.

I will swim against the current on this. No magazine floorplate is a big minus, as is the lack of back up sights which on a rifle destined for DG, it should really have.
No pad is another minus, a necessity on a .375 mag.
These rifles were made on 3 receivers, Winchester, Remington and a subsidiary of Remington, the Eddystone plant.
I would want to know where it was made. There is some history of Eddystone receivers cracking during rebarreling, due to being so tightly screwed in, probably the same breed of neanderthal that put the gas plug down on Springfield M1A rifles!
Were it me, I would keep looking.

I will swim against the current on this. No magazine floorplate is a big minus, as is the lack of back up sights which on a rifle destined for DG, it should really have.
No pad is another minus, a necessity on a .375 mag.
These rifles were made on 3 receivers, Winchester, Remington and a subsidiary of Remington, the Eddystone plant.
I would want to know where it was made. There is some history of Eddystone receivers cracking during rebarreling, due to being so tightly screwed in, probably the same breed of neanderthal that put the gas plug down on Springfield M1A rifles!
Were it me, I would keep looking.
It was common practice for military rifles of the period to have receivers peened over where the barrel threads on. Removing the barrels requires trimming off the peened over lip first. My Springfield had this issue when the so called gunsmith attempted to remove the barrel. He actually tore up some equipment before the light went on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tooter57

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!