on a lighter note...

220173564_2885725244999005_6243335817591422377_n.jpg

Congrats.jpg

I watch a guy pull up to the pump in a jacked up diesel truck that he left running while he fueled up with a lit cigarette hanging out of his mouth talking to his girlfriend on the phone…

I promptly decided that I could drive a little further to get fuel. :oops:

You could put out a cigarette for sure and probably a lit match in diesel fuel and not ignite it.
Very true, but the guy at the next pump is likely pumping gas. An overfill creates an immediate ignition danger.

The worst is folks fueling gas cans in the back of their pickup truck. An ungrounded can is repeatedly sparking between the nozzle and the fuel. You are playing russian roulette, betting that the vapor space in the can will be either too rich or too lean to ignite. Be assured that it will begin too lean, finish too rich, and pass through the explosive range during fill. We had an idiot fueling 6, 5 gallon cans in the bed of his truck at one of the Williams stations in Fairbanks. Can number 6 ignited, due to his overwhelming intelligence he hadn't capped the others when they were full so all 6 went up. Thankfully he panicked and tried to drive away from the fire, taking the flaming cans with him and out of our station. His trucked incinerated about 100 yards away. A video of that Rhodes scholar in action would have been a great clip for this string.

My father told me that during the war at their airfield, the watchman decided to see if there was any gasoline left in the tank at the fuel depot, and lowered a kerosene lamp on a rope. There was not enough gasoline, but there were enough gasoline gases to make the watchman fly 50 meters away.

My father told me that during the war at their airfield, the watchman decided to see if there was any gasoline left in the tank at the fuel depot, and lowered a kerosene lamp on a rope. There was not enough gasoline, but there were enough gasoline gases to make the watchman fly 50 meters away.
And that right there is the difference between diesel and gas. Diesel emits very few fumes with a high flashpoint where gas emits a lot of fumes with a very low flashpoint

And some geniuses will throw just a tad of gas on a fire to help it get going. They get going, too.

I saw such a situation, in... how should I say, like a Scout camp. There was a makeshift bathhouse-a house made of scraps of boards and all sorts of shit, and a stove for heating water, and it was heated outside. All this was done by teenagers themselves. The stove was also heated by two Boy Scouts on duty. The first portion of firewood was almost burned out, they stuffed the second portion into the stove, and to make it burn better, they threw half a bucket of diesel fuel into it. They didn't know that you can't pour diesel fuel on burning coals. The stove turned into a powerful flamethrower, fire jets splashed out through the cracks between the bricks inside the bathhouse. Naked Boy Scouts ran out screaming. Oddly enough, no one was injured - neither those who washed, nor those on duty. They didn't even get their faces stuffed.

I watch a guy pull up to the pump in a jacked up diesel truck that he left running while he fueled up with a lit cigarette hanging out of his mouth talking to his girlfriend on the phone…

I promptly decided that I could drive a little further to get fuel. :oops:
I used to drive an F250 7.3L Diesel. I never shut it down when fueling it up. It takes massive pressure and/or massive heat to ignite Diesel. A cigarette won't get there.

I used to drive an F250 7.3L Diesel. I never shut it down when fueling it up. It takes massive pressure and/or massive heat to ignite Diesel. A cigarette won't get there.

Don’t get complacent with it. I have fought more refinery fires than most. Heavier fuels take more to get going but once they do they burn hotter. The worst fire I ever fought was resid (asphalt). I had I-beams melting and falling to the ground in front of me as I took two hose teams in to get to an isolation valve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!