on a lighter note...

And we had our BBgun wars. They stung a bit on a bare belly or back.

We weren't allowed to even point our BB/ pellet guns at any body for any reason.

But we were allowed, and quite often used: hard plastic and cork bullets, hard plastic cannon balls, other hard plastic and hard rubber balls were thrown as grenades, and plastic suction cup dart guns to shoot each other playing cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, and war. And it wasn't just kids playing, we even had our parents and adult neighbors joining in the fun.

Ah, those almost forgotten memories.

We weren't allowed to even point our BB/ pellet guns at any body for any reason.

But we were allowed, and quite often used: hard plastic and cork bullets, hard plastic cannon balls, other hard plastic and hard rubber balls were thrown as grenades, and plastic suction cup dart guns to shoot each other playing cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, and war. And it wasn't just kids playing, we even had our parents and adult neighbors joining in the fun.

Ah, those almost forgotten memories.

We weren’t allowed either, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen

We weren’t allowed either, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen

The key here we weren't allowed. Yeah we pointed them at one another when no one was looking.

We would stand facing one another as if we were in a western movie gun fight drawing to see who was faster on the draw. Sometimes we stood too close....them BBs stung and left little red marks or a welt through a shirt or hitting your leg wearing blue jeans.

Been there, done that, got caught, as youngsters ( 5 and 6 year olds).

We got our bows and arrows taken away. ( cheap wooden "toy" bows with arrows that "had" suction cup tips. We removed the suction cups and used a pencil sharpener to sharpen the blunt end).

Sounds great actually

Sounds great actually

These bows were about an inch wide x 24 inches long, plain flat pieces of soft pine slats, maybe 2 pound draw weight, arrows were soft pine dowel rods about 1/4 inch diameter and 16, maybe 18 inches long, and the string was just that, cotton string.

Back in the day they went right along with our cap gun muskets and coon skin caps or cowboy hats and roll cap guns, playing frontiersman (Daniel Boone) and Indians or cowboys and indians.

I ended up breaking my bow drawing it back to far, snapped like a dry twig.

Eventually we got fiberglass bows and some target arrows. Then in highschool I bought a Bear or Ben Pearson 40# recurve bow and we bought cedar arrows. My brother made a bow (from a kit I think) in wood shop.

I don't know about being great, but we did have fun.

"What's rugby"?

I'm not really sure. From what I can gather it involves something called 'scrums' in which a few rows of men gather in a circle, lock arms while placing their noses in close proximity of the rear end of the players in front of them. I also hear they have a number of 'hookers'.

I guess our American cousins could think of it as something like a Democrat caucus.

"What's rugby"?

I'm not really sure. From what I can gather it involves something called 'scrums' in which a few rows of men gather in a circle, lock arms while placing their noses in close proximity of the rear end of the players in front of them. I also hear they have a number of 'hookers'.

I guess our American cousins could think of it as something like a Democrat caucus.
Well, I’m sure plenty of people would like to give it a ‘try’…especially if hookers are involved.

That’s until they get mauled. :cautious:

The key here we weren't allowed. Yeah we pointed them at one another when no one was looking.

We would stand facing one another as if we were in a western movie gun fight drawing to see who was faster on the draw. Sometimes we stood too close....them BBs stung and left little red marks or a welt through a shirt or hitting your leg wearing blue jeans.

We had full on hunts in the farm yard. I got my cousin a number of times from a snipers nest in the hay mow before he figured out where I was. It’s amazing we didn’t get badly hurt!

1697888822210.png

We had full on hunts in the farm yard. I got my cousin a number of times from a snipers nest in the hay mow before he figured out where I was. It’s amazing we didn’t get badly hurt!
We made chlorine and brake fluid bombs (in glass milk bottles).

I have a scar on my thumb for a No.1 pellet gun when my older cousin held me at gun point because I was a "detainee"

I shot my sister in the knee with a stone out of my No.1 pellet gun.

Luckily not scarred by a rock that cut me from lip to the corner of my eye throwing stones and hiding behind beach umbrellas with the neighbour's kids.

The scars I have are a historical record of my childhood. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Image1697904405.285240.jpg

1697909204180.png

Coming soon for some of us!

Last edited:
1697909505061.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TabithaCor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts