Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
How do the newly manufactured Winchester Model 70's stack up against the Pre '64 version? What say you?

I think the new Winchestor Model 70's match up in performance, very well with the Pre 64' version. Some of the pre 64's couldn't shoot worth a darn. With the machining equipment we have today, a lot of guns shoot better than there forefathers.

I have both pre 64' and the newer versions in .270, 308 and 3006 and can honestly say that the newer ones shoot tighter groups. My latest toy is a new model 70 feather-weight in 308 and it shoot extremely well and is a dream to carry.
Agree with enysse that with the advancements in manufacturing technology and equipment, highly accurate production grade rifles is really something of the norm these days. In the states you can be the proud owner of a brand new model 70 for well under $700.

I have handled the new Win M70 and they seem to be very good rifles. I was thinking about getting one of the new ones in .270 that was for sale at my local gun shop, but ended up buying a Ruger M77 in .270 for a good price. I just saw that Winchester is offering the 6.5X55 in their featherwight, maybe I'll get one of those in the future.

My new Win Mod 70 comes with a 4lbs.12oz trigger, very crisp but a bit heavy. Have people been having good luck adjusting them??

My new Win Mod 70 comes with a 4lbs.12oz trigger, very crisp but a bit heavy. Have people been having good luck adjusting them??

I don't personally adjust mine but I take every one of my new rifles (even my 'new to me" rifles) to my favorite gunsmith for a trigger job where he sets them to break around 3.5lbs and to remove any play in them so that they break crisp and clean.

He has done that to 3 of my Win Model 70s and they are sweet to shoot.

I think the new Winchestor Model 70's match up in performance, very well with the Pre 64' version. Some of the pre 64's couldn't shoot worth a darn. With the machining equipment we have today, a lot of guns shoot better than there forefathers.

The big thing about the pre-64's was that they all came standard with controlled round feeding. When they stopped making them with controlled round feeding....THAT is what made the pre-64s so desireable....NOT because they were super special accuraccy wise or something.

Frankly, once Winchester started offering controlled round feeding again (albeit at an upgrade in price too) I think a guy is better off with the newer action/barrel if he wants the controlled round feeding.

I agree, the push feed rifles Winchestor made are not desirable to own...though I own some Remingtons that are push feed....they are not near as nice as a controlled round feed rifle. Hence, why I like Ruger a lot. My Win Model 70 in the Super Grade Model is a excellent gun...easy to adjust the trigger. I prefer 3 lbs. or less. And 2 lbs. to me is near perfect. I like a nice soft trigger!

A lot of the pre-64 rifles have been redone...to make them more accurate.

I agree, the push feed rifles Winchestor made are not desirable to own...though I own some Remingtons that are push feed....they are not near as nice as a controlled round feed rifle. Hence, why I like Ruger a lot. My Win Model 70 in the Super Grade Model is a excellent gun...easy to adjust the trigger. I prefer 3 lbs. or less. And 2 lbs. to me is near perfect. I like a nice soft trigger!

A lot of the pre-64 rifles have been redone...to make them more accurate.

A lot of people bought the pre-64's and tossed (or re-sold) the barrel/stock.

They just wanted the action and then put on a custom barrell/chamber and new stock.

A lot of people bought the pre-64's and tossed (or re-sold) the barrel/stock.

They just wanted the action and then put on a custom barrell/chamber and new stock.

I agree!

It might be a good idea to try both types out, if that is possible, to see what you like.

I've always heard both sides regarding which is best, controlled vs push. For me I have a Win M70 in .30-06 that I got in 1987 haven't had any issue in 14 yrs.

As for Winchester I'm biased just about everything in my cabinet is Winchester with exception to a few specialty weapons.

However, newer models have a more moderate $price tag.

I bought a new trigger spring from Ernies Gunsmithing and My trigger went down to 3 pounds immediately...PM me for details.

enysse, I have never liked CRF rifles, and always thought Winchesters to be overrated (Pre-64) and although I admit I have never owned a pre-64, I have recently purchased one of the new rifles with the CRF, and it is just as accurate as any of my Remington 700's. Under new management Winchester is (or at least the model 70 is). The main reason I never really cared for CRF was accuracy, and with that I mean out of the box, but, the new Winchesters I will give a thumbs up to. Scott.

Blasphemy! Sacrilege! How dare you upset pre-64 lovers the world over with your foul tongue!! The very idea! Not accurate?!?! WTF?!?!?! LOL!

But seriously. How does one who never owned a pre-64 M70 say they are not accurate? I have only owned a couple but they shot just fine.

Own newer CRF models of the M70 in .270, 7mm Rem Mag and .375H&H. I will own these until they day I die or pass them on to my sons. The .375 has no blood on it yet, barely a year old. The other two have accounted for elk, a moose and 3 different species of deer. They've never let me down and plenty accurate.

Well gentlemen, I know some guys with deep pockets that have 3-4 (36 gun) gun safes full of guns, with a few more hidden from their wives. They are "sick" with collecting guns (lol)....I quite a while back, I own varying degrees of guns. CZ, Rem, Win, Browning, Ruger, and 5 different muzzleloaders. But I have had the pleasure to handle a lot of different guns.

I think the pre-64 Win. is way over priced....it's all name hype. Sestoppelman is right some shoot very accurate! But most gun nuts want to tinker with them. I still can't believe how much Model 99 Savages have gone up in price...they are a nice gun, back in the day they were a good value...but today they are pricey to me. I would rather spend my money hunting...than collecting.

As far a control feed versus push feed. I have had my Remington's jam more than I would ever like it too. I have never had that problem with my CZ, Ruger or Super Grade Win. And I hear people complain about Browing rifle prices and whatnot. IMO they are one of the finest guns around. They never jam for my family and friends and are usually super accurate out of the gate. I have one friend that is a Savage nut. To me they are ugly, but they shoot super accurate and feed well too.

sestoppelman, my only experience with the pre-64 was my much older gunsmith buddy, he always said that he loved the pre-64's because it created alot of work for him, i.e. glass bedding, rebarreling, tweeking the guns so they shot decent groups. I have book knowledge of how strong the actions are, and how reliable they are. When FN took ovr model 70 production that's when i thought i might givem a try, and I'm glad i did, mine is a classic 30-06 and very accurate using factory Federal ammo.

You can get a new trigger spring from Eries Gunsmithing that will take it down to 3 pounds. Easy to install; I've done 2 of them

Gary

I have both pre- and post '64 rifles, including one of the new South Carolina featherweights in .308.

The pre'64's are variable in terms of accuracy. They may need to be glass bedded with a pressure point or rebarrelled in order to get MOA groups. This will destroy the value of the rifle as a collector's piece. The older the rifle, in general, the smoother the action is. Triggers are well engineered and can be tuned to a great pull. Better to buy an old one with a pitted barrel and beat up stock (but with a solid, smooth action) to use as the basis for a custom. Certainly the best out of the box hunting rifle of it's era.

The New Haven CRF "classic" rifles are not bad at all and generally shoot well out of the box. They make a good basis for a custom rifle as well. Bolts need to be checked by riflesmith to be sure both lugs take the thrust of firing equally before the action is used as the basis for a custom piece.

The "new" South Carolina rifles have in general a slick action and a decent trigger, though the trigger is not easily accessible for cleaning as was the trigger of it's predecessor. My .308 featherweight shot 3" groups with horizontal stringing with several brands of ammo when new. It had to be re-bedded (glass and pillar) before it shot decently. This added a few hundred bucks to the price of the rifle. That said, it is a very nice looking rifle with a really fine blue on the metal.

The big thing about the pre-64's was that they all came standard with controlled round feeding. When they stopped making them with controlled round feeding....THAT is what made the pre-64s so desireable....NOT because they were super special accuraccy wise or something.

Frankly, once Winchester started offering controlled round feeding again (albeit at an upgrade in price too) I think a guy is better off with the newer action/barrel if he wants the controlled round feeding.

As I stated above...the high demand for the Pre-64s was not about accuraccy....it was about the action and it was created when Winchester stopped making the 70's with CRF

Truth is, once Winchester brought back the "Classic" models it was way smarter to just buy the new rifles at the upgraded price than to buy the old Pre-64 at "collector" prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg