Ol' Reliable - Marlin 1895 45-70

@DPHunter4570
Very nice rifle. I have a blued and stainless Marlins cut to 20" with trigger and etc upgrades. Handy rifles and certainly nice little thumpers with the right bullets.

@Tundra Tiger great pictures and bullet performance. What weight CEB Lever Gun Solids were you using ? I have some 325 grain to load. I also have some of the 380 grain Lehigh copper WFN. I think both of these will knock snot from some pretty large creatures.

@DPHunter4570 and anyone else:
You might consider segregating you lever evolution brass from your regular .45-70 brass. It is a bit shorter than normal and this may cause you issues with seating and crimping reloads.
Good point! I have heard that about how it's just a bit shorter, definitely something that could be overlooked. I haven't reloaded any yet, I stocked up well a few years ago and haven't really needed to. Luckily for me, I've only ever shot the lever evolution and federal hammer downs, so its easy to tell apart as the fed's are nickel plated brass.

Good point! I have heard that about how it's just a bit shorter, definitely something that could be overlooked. I haven't reloaded any yet, I stocked up well a few years ago and haven't really needed to. Luckily for me, I've only ever shot the lever evolution and federal hammer downs, so its easy to tell apart as the fed's are nickel plated brass.

Personally I’d love to figure out a load that doesn’t blow up my gun but stretches the case the extra .060” to make it into full length brass. The problem I’m having is the brass spends a while in an intermediate stange where neither my hornady crimp nor my lee crimp work properly

Personally I’d love to figure out a load that doesn’t blow up my gun but stretches the case the extra .060” to make it into full length brass. The problem I’m having is the brass spends a while in an intermediate stange where neither my hornady crimp nor my lee crimp work properly
Lee Factory Crimp Die is my work around.

They aren't being made anymore and every idiot and his brother seems to think he's got himself a .458 WM with that gun. You might try the .458 WM tropical model if it fits the law. They are available.

Familiar firearms are the way to go when going to kill something in a far off place. I wish I was smart enough to follow this advice.
@Forrest Halley
Familiar firearms are the way to go when hunting at home mate.
If'n y'all were familiar with your little 22 maybe you wouldn't have to give those pesky squirrels 9 warning shots before you actually get one. As you are familiar with your 458 Lott maybe you could use that on squirrels instead. The amount of 22 ammo you go thru on one with the 22 could be offset by using just one 458. Price wise the Lott may work out cheaper than the 22. Accuracy trumps volume.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

@Idmay375 ... Indeed, mine were the 325 brass solids. I was/am very happy with performance, on the two buffs and a few other things I shot.
@Tundra Tiger
Now @Forrest Halley knows about those awesome 325gn solids he will want to load them at warp speed in his Lott to have some fun on long rang squirrels.
A 325gn flat nose brass solid at 3,000fps would give you some power and reach Forrest. Just the load you need mate for all round use.
Bob

@Tundra Tiger
Now @Forrest Halley knows about those awesome 325gn solids he will want to load them at warp speed in his Lott to have some fun on long rang squirrels.
A 325gn flat nose brass solid at 3,000fps would give you some power and reach Forrest. Just the load you need mate for all round use.
Bob
@Forrest Halley would only need to hit the branch the squirrel is on to knock it out and drop it to the ground. He'd then have fresh meat with no holes in it? LOL

I've seen those velcro ammo holders on bolt actions, but never considered one on a #1, makes sense! I might have to look into that. Drop and shut seems to work pretty good so far, it will load off the carrier but I also have been able to get the round started into the chamber then shut the lever. We'll have to see how it goes in the heat of the moment!

I really wanted to find a 45-70 Number #1, I figured if they were going to limit us to single shot that was about perfect for the job. The couple I did find were fetching a pretty penny.
If you want a single shot falling block 45-70, see if you can find a Browning/Winchester 1885 High Wall. I like Ruger #1 and #3, but neither of them holds a candle to an 1885. Not even close.

IDK if you reload or not, but if you do, I'd recommend giving some thought to lead alloy bullets. Lots of good choices in 405 gr and heavier. The beautiful thing about shooting lead or lead alloy is that any published load for a jacketed bullet of the same weight is safe for lead. And honestly, if you're shooting 405 gr or heavier, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500-1600 fps is as much MV as you really need.

I shoot 405 gr RN for practice, and either 425 or 525 gr WFNGC for hunting, all coming out at around 1625 fps. Zeroed at 125 yards, they'll all reach about 160 or 165 yards without having to adjust for holdover for deer or adult pigs.

No idea how much they expand, if any at all. At under 100 yards, I've never not had a through-and-through. But, they ruin almost exactly no meat. I used to shoot those 325 gr Hornady gummy tips, but once I started getting into reloading and understanding ballistics, I realized that even at 2100 fps, they really do not outperform the heavy lead in any meaningful way. No spalling, no blood shot meat with those heavy lead bullets. I cannot say the same for my experience with the Hornady bullets.

If you just wanted to reload for 45-70, you could get into that game at maybe $100. Lee Loaders aren't expensive, and I have a magic load for Reloder 7 powder.

IDK if you reload or not, but if you do, I'd recommend giving some thought to lead alloy bullets. Lots of good choices in 405 gr and heavier. The beautiful thing about shooting lead or lead alloy is that any published load for a jacketed bullet of the same weight is safe for lead. And honestly, if you're shooting 405 gr or heavier, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500-1600 fps is as much MV as you really need.

I shoot 405 gr RN for practice, and either 425 or 525 gr WFNGC for hunting, all coming out at around 1625 fps. Zeroed at 125 yards, they'll all reach about 160 or 165 yards without having to adjust for holdover for deer or adult pigs.

No idea how much they expand, if any at all. At under 100 yards, I've never not had a through-and-through. But, they ruin almost exactly no meat. I used to shoot those 325 gr Hornady gummy tips, but once I started getting into reloading and understanding ballistics, I realized that even at 2100 fps, they really do not outperform the heavy lead in any meaningful way. No spalling, no blood shot meat with those heavy lead bullets. I cannot say the same for my experience with the Hornady bullets.

If you just wanted to reload for 45-70, you could get into that game at maybe $100. Lee Loaders aren't expensive, and I have a magic load for Reloder 7 powder.
I might have to get with you soon on that magic load! I have some dies and all my brass, I just need to start loading. I'm sure you're right about the Hornady's not really being much better, Hornady is as good a marketing company as they are an ammo company. I've just been in a "not broke don't fix it" mood on this rifle. Just shoots them so good, i've got a healthy supply, and they've performed well on the game i've taken with them.

Hornady hand loads
1699489814045.jpeg

425 gr WFNGC
1699489845038.jpeg

525 WFNGC
1699489869781.jpeg

25yds? LOL
with the Hornady, that's 100 yards with a scope. For the lead bullets, that's 50 yds with XS Ghost Ring. ;)

I'm getting old, so I had to go back to a scope for my 45-70. But it wasn't that long ago that even with the aperture, I didn't miss a 6" gong off sticks from 100 yards but once in a while.

with the Hornady, that's 100 yards with a scope. For the lead bullets, that's 50 yds with XS Ghost Ring. ;)
NICE shooting! I wish I could do that with open sights at 50.

not marlins, but rugers. a # 3 and a # 1. targets were shot at 100 yards useing a lead sled and the same load was shot in both rifles, 50grs H-4198 with 300 gr hornady jacketed bullets. that load is pretty stout, but not max.

DSCN0858.JPG
DSCN0863 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a single shot falling block 45-70, see if you can find a Browning/Winchester 1885 High Wall. I like Ruger #1 and #3, but neither of them holds a candle to an 1885. Not even close.
@sgt_zim
I would love a Browning hiwall in 25-06.
Bob

My second ruger #1, recent purchase after selling of one years ago. Took along time to find another.
Loading the all copper atomic 270gr HP. Here's a stag from a week or so back 8m shot stoked to have
another 45-70.
Had a couple of marlin 95s great rifles for game as well.
Cheers Mick

cHK62C.jpg
dmAL7L.jpg
lxF1cU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IdaHendric

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.