Ol' Reliable - Marlin 1895 45-70

my 45-70 rifles. i have added another one, a TC encore rifle.

DSCN0417 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
@Forrest Halley
Familiar firearms are the way to go when hunting at home mate.
If'n y'all were familiar with your little 22 maybe you wouldn't have to give those pesky squirrels 9 warning shots before you actually get one. As you are familiar with your 458 Lott maybe you could use that on squirrels instead. The amount of 22 ammo you go thru on one with the 22 could be offset by using just one 458. Price wise the Lott may work out cheaper than the 22. Accuracy trumps volume.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob
I guess I could start a logging business while I'm at it. Haha Timber Cannon Tree Service.
@Tundra Tiger
Now @Forrest Halley knows about those awesome 325gn solids he will want to load them at warp speed in his Lott to have some fun on long rang squirrels.
A 325gn flat nose brass solid at 3,000fps would give you some power and reach Forrest. Just the load you need mate for all round use.
Bob
Warp speed? The trashy BC will be bringing them back down to regular speed very quickly.
@Forrest Halley would only need to hit the branch the squirrel is on to knock it out and drop it to the ground. He'd then have fresh meat with no holes in it? LOL
Mark has jokes too! No holes, but splintered like a porcupine!

Last edited by a moderator:
The gun forums on the internet say the .45-70 is the same ballistically as the .450 Rigby :A Stirring:

Just kidding.

I do like the Marlin 1895s as a lightweight carry gun! My brother-in-law has the 20" version of it and it is a sweet, soft-shooting rifle with 450 Hard cast WFN at around 1500fps! But it still puts the hammer down on stuff. Nice rifle @DPHunter4570!

I have since traded in my .45-70s for a .458WM but they are a heckuva lot easier to carry than my rifle, and I don't need 5,100ft-lbs all that often in the Adirondacks or even when I go out west. Might have to think about a .45-70, although in all honesty, it would likely be a Winchester 1886 carbine... and I might opt for the .45-90!

The gun forums on the internet say the .45-70 is the same ballistically as the .450 Rigby :A Stirring:

Just kidding.

I do like the Marlin 1895s as a lightweight carry gun! My brother-in-law has the 20" version of it and it is a sweet, soft-shooting rifle with 450 Hard cast WFN at around 1500fps! But it still puts the hammer down on stuff. Nice rifle @DPHunter4570!

I have since traded in my .45-70s for a .458WM but they are a heckuva lot easier to carry than my rifle, and I don't need 5,100ft-lbs all that often in the Adirondacks or even when I go out west. Might have to think about a .45-70, although in all honesty, it would likely be a Winchester 1886 carbine... and I might opt for the .45-90!
Thank you! Gotta watch those gun forums...lol. Those 1886's are really neat as well. It would be a neat one to have, especially in 45-90.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConsueloSu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.