Oh so confusing...is the 30-06 enough?

You don't need more than the 30-06 for the Wildebeest, just shoot it where it counts! Many of my client have taken wildebeest with this calibre.

Agree with all of the above about the .06. Having said that, if you have any questions or concerns, just take your .375. That is an incredibly versatile caliber that will be great for a duiker to a buff and everything in between with the right bullets.

A 165/168 monometal bullet is equivalent to a 180 or possibly 200 grain jacketted bullet. I hit my zebra in the front leg while it was quartering to me and dropped it there. It broke the leg and went through the animal diagonally, lodging under the skin on the far side. It opened perfectly and retained all it's weight.

Yes, with a monometal bullet you need to go down in weight to get the best performance not up. I'd argue that a 150 monometal bullet is equal to a standard 180 grain bonded bullet and the 165/168s are equivalent to 200 grain bonded bullets.

.30-06 is fine for shots up to 150 yards in my opinion. Sometimes you may have a hard hunt and long shots and then you have an issue. So ask your PH what to expect.
Philip

Yep, Don't own one myself but last time I visited SA, two friends with me both carried 30-06's with the same load, 180gn Sierra Pro-Hunter. Worked well on everything, each took Blue Wildebeest,Kudu, Zebra, Red Hartabeest, Warthog, and a number of Belesbuck and Impala at various ranges out to 300 yards without any issues. Our PH's also carries 30-06's. As many have already said, Shot placement!

Reading all the various posts on AH in regards to plains game and wildebeest.

Is the 30-06 loaded with 165/168 grain solids (ttsx, tsx, etc.) sufficient for dropping wildebeest?

After hunting RSA in 2017, my 06 was well accepted by all the land owners and other hunters I met.

I'm now thinking of taking 2 rifles. A .375 or .416 for wildebeest and my 06 for other PG.

All suggestions and options will be greatly appreciated.

Another question: Is the 6.8 SPC, 130 grain, PSP bullet on PG (ie blesbuck, impala, springbok, warthog, etc.) sufficient?

If in doubt take a 300 win mag using 180 grain Bullets.

As

I can only give you my experience, but my .30/06 loaded with Woodleigh 180gr PSPs is deadly. In my experience 180-200gr projectiles are great in the .30/06 for Africa. My kids and I have taken kudu, wildebeeste, bushbuck, warthog, impala etc using the .30/06 with 180gr projectiles without losing a single trophy. Indeed my daughter used my .30/06 with this projectile to roll her water buffalo in NT (see pic: "Girl, gun and game"). We have a hunt booked in July and she will now be after her own wildebeeste trophy, using again, this combo.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
By the way, with this .30/06 I also once shot a 5' shovel-nosed shark that was cruising up and down the shallows, up by Wittecarra Creek!!! :)

The .318 Westley Richards was THE medium bore rifle in Africa for a while. Mainly because of the 250gr projectile. A 30/06 with a 240gr projectile is almost identical in sectional density to the .318 250gr. Load it to about 2300-2400fps and it be an awesome PG round.
How well does the 30-06 stabilize 240gr?

I'm interested to hear someone's experience with 240's, too. I've shot 220's, and they're as heavy as I'd want reaching out to 250/300 yards, max plains game range. They start to arc pretty significantly, is what I'm getting at.

If with the typical 1:10" twist rate of the .30-06, I'd bet not very well. But honestly I don't think I've ever read of anyone developing a load even in the .300WM with that heavy a bullet. That in and of itself may give you your answer.

To give a margin of stability, 1 in 9 or faster twist is desired for the 220 and 240 weights.

The 30-06 is a fine choice for plains game. I would stick with a 180 grn non-mono metal bullet. The TSX is a great bullet but will over penetrate and injury or kill the animal behind your target. I personally prefer bullets like the Nosler Partition or the Norma Oryx for PG hunting.

The 06 is all you need. 165 NAB’S will get it done!!!

+1 more for the 06.

MORE than enough.. locally the 30-06 is a very popular calibre and ideal for the bushveld, as well as certain open plains conditions.
I only use 180gr, but the lighter bullets do the job just as well if put in the right place. Wildebeest are TOUGH critters!!

I used a 30-06 with 180gr expandable bullets on Wildebeest along with Kudu, Blesbuck, and Eland. It did the trick but even with good shot placement we ended up tracking for 100 yards or so. My humble recommendation, if you can shoot the 375 accurately bring it.
20170320_180321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've shot three Blue Wildebeest with a 30-06.
Two with Hornady 165gr SST and one with 180gr Norma Oryx.
It's plenty enough for Wildebeest.
After using the Norma bullets last trip I will always go with the latter.

30.06 7mm rem mag 8mm rem mag 318 wr
Have uses them all to little difference ....
...the Blonde has dropped a lot of them and hartabeest with her 7x64 and everything from 150 to 170gr ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!