Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Reading all the various posts on AH in regards to plains game and wildebeest.

Is the 30-06 loaded with 165/168 grain solids (ttsx, tsx, etc.) sufficient for dropping wildebeest?

After hunting RSA in 2017, my 06 was well accepted by all the land owners and other hunters I met.

I'm now thinking of taking 2 rifles. A .375 or .416 for wildebeest and my 06 for other PG.

All suggestions and options will be greatly appreciated.

Another question: Is the 6.8 SPC, 130 grain, PSP bullet on PG (ie blesbuck, impala, springbok, warthog, etc.) sufficient?

Yes! My son shot his with a .243..... all about shot placement!!

A679242A-7319-4CB8-B8B3-6ACAA74048E8.jpeg

Yes. Yes.

Reactions: ack
Another yes from me too! It all goes about shot placement.
Herewith a one shot kill from a 30-06.

20171129_125425.jpg

30-06 is more than enough gun for wildebeest.

The .318 Westley Richards was THE medium bore rifle in Africa for a while. Mainly because of the 250gr projectile. A 30/06 with a 240gr projectile is almost identical in sectional density to the .318 250gr. Load it to about 2300-2400fps and it be an awesome PG round.

I have shot my 30.06 with a 200gn bullet on all my hunts. This includes Eland and Gaffif.
Put it in the brain or the Boiler House and they drop on the spot.
Remember Shot placement

I took a nice gemsbok and blue wildebeest with a 30-06 and 180gr nosler parttions. Both animals went down with one shot.

Reading all the various posts on AH in regards to plains game and wildebeest.

Is the 30-06 loaded with 165/168 grain solids (ttsx, tsx, etc.) sufficient for dropping wildebeest?

After hunting RSA in 2017, my 06 was well accepted by all the land owners and other hunters I met.

I'm now thinking of taking 2 rifles. A .375 or .416 for wildebeest and my 06 for other PG.

All suggestions and options will be greatly appreciated.

Another question: Is the 6.8 SPC, 130 grain, PSP bullet on PG (ie blesbuck, impala, springbok, warthog, etc.) sufficient?

As others have said, bullet placement is the key. Unless you’re shooting iron clad animals I suggest the 30/06 is fine.

30-06 with the right bullet can kill all plains game in Africa including BWB.

Yes. I have taken a 30-06 with 168 Barnes TTSX twice to Namibia and dropped springbok to zebra and kudu with it. Nothing went more than a few yards after it was hit.

Oh yes, best of luck!

Absolutely. A quality 165-180 class bullet will give you both the reach for any reasonable shot in Africa and sufficient penetration for any plains game. I have used 180's on everything from duiker to sable.

I doubt if there is a PH in Africa that wouldn't be happy when he seen his client had a 30-06.

I used an ‘06 with 150 grain TSX and took zebra, kudu, gemsbok and 2 wildebeest without any problem. As stated above, shot placement is the key.

Without question l, the 30-06 is enough of a in. I toook a blue wildebeest with an ‘06 with 190 gr Barnes TSX bullets. My son took a black wildebeest with a 308 loaded with 165 for Federal trophy copper bullets.

My son took his wildebeest with a 308 Win. One shot is all it took. But, I think you will find that 375 to be really great. In my mind it had a very different effect on game. It's a lovely caliber.

The '06 is PLENTY. My first blue, 6.5x47, 130gr Berger HVLD. IIRC, 265 yds., one shot, DRT.

P1000519.JPG

The '06 is a very versatile caliber. Heavier bullets are preferred for larger game i.e. 200 or 220 Gr but 180 Gr. bullets have been used as well. The smaller bullets i.e. 168 Gr and 165 Gr. will also take the larger animals but shot placement is more critical. If Wildebeest is the largest and toughest animal on your list you only need to take one rifle. However if it were me I'd opt for something heavier than the bullets you are contemplating. I used a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser for Impala sized animals on my hunt in 2016. It was more than adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross