Oddball question about components on GunBroker...

Tundra Tiger

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
A few days back I did a "Buy It Now" on some bullets I wanted to try. They were sold by a dealer in NY. I screwed up. He had "no shipping to AK" and I overlooked it. I got a terse email from him, and it initially showed he cancelled the order. Again, my bad.

A day later I found a different bullet, from a place I had ordered from before in Alabama. I bought those.

Today I got two identical boxes. The shipping label on each was identical: American Freedom LLC. One box had the cancelled order bullets and a packing slip from the NY company. The other box had the other bullets and an identical packing slip, but with from the AL company. Both are Hornady products, so maybe they actually come from the same warehouse or something?

Maybe I'm a very naive country bumpkin; it confused me. Anyone able to shed light? Thank you kindly in advance.

Chances are the NY dealer was doing a drop ship. He may have not canceled it all the way thru and maybe paid more to do the drop ship to AK, possibly lowering or even negating any profits. Many drop ships are automated now, so it not caught quickly, go thru.

Did you get billed for both? Or just the one second order?

Lost me on drop ship? and the issue created by whomever you bought them from? I often send and receive items in plain, flat rate, tracked USPS boxes for set amount to and from USPS addresses including AK USPS addresses. Within US, no different sending such a box 20 miles to sending one 2000 miles to Dillingham AK. Unless I'm missing something? Possibility the sender is simply a little dim about sending or lazy in which case maybe shouldn't be in business.

Last edited:
@TTundra ... Not sure. I am going to contact the place tomorrow to see if I need to settle up. I am certainly not trying to get anything for free.

And yes, @fourfive8 ... I hear you on the flat rate shipping. I wish more folks would do that.

Here is the key. You will always spend a very steep cost on anything on GB period. People have hordes supplies to make money. No use complaining. The positive is they will have everything you need. The negative you will clearly pay a high premium for those components. As long as you understand that is GB model then all is good

I do a fair amount of shopping on there, for guns and components. Both bullets came at what I considered to be a very fair price with fair shipping. I was (am) surprised both boxes came from the same place, neither of which came from the seller's address. Wasn't sure if anyone hear had any insights into American Freedom LLC or not. @Mark Biggerstaff .... any insights?

Makes me wonder about the fellow in NY who sent me the other bullets, which also came from American Freedom. I may have to ask him.

Lost me on drop ship? and the issue created by whomever you bought them from? I often send and receive items in plain, flat rate, tracked USPS boxes for set amount to and from USPS addresses including AK USPS addresses. Within US, no different sending such a box 20 miles to sending one 2000 miles to Dillingham AK. Unless I'm missing something? Possibility the sender is simply a little dim about sending or lazy in which case maybe shouldn't be in business.
By "Drop Ship", that means the vendor has an account with the manufacturer/warehouse. For example, you've mentioned that these are for Hornady products. So the vendor in NY sells the item, but it ships directly from Hornady.

You're correct on USPS costs, but if the vendor/shipper has an account with UPS or FedEx, or someone else, shipping costs to AK do change. Additionally, the shipper can send a special shipment via USPS, but that "gums up the works"... and they may charge extra, especially if they have a contract shipping cost that requires the use of a specific shipping vendor.

I contacted the seller in NY. He did cancel the order. It got sent out before the cancellation went through. He was happy that I contacted him and will pay after the fact.

I contacted the seller in NY. He did cancel the order. It got sent out before the cancellation went through. He was happy that I contacted him and will pay after the fact.
Since he was a butt-head and you are out the time and expense of a double order - I suggest you whack him with a handling charge. :)

Nah... He has been polite after the fact. The original mistake was mine. I am going to keep the bullets - since they are here (trying them at the range tomorrow!) and will send payment. It's all good.

You are too kind sir. I'm not out to rip anyone off, nor do I want to be ripped off. I'd like to think that's how most of us are wired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg