Obsession with tactical rifles & equipment

It comes down to what is hot and sells. The tactical testosterone trend has supply and demand. To each his own I guess, I do prefer a nice bolt or lever action with open sights or simple optics. Love the old six shooters as well. Out of the 60 plus weapons I own, only have one black rifle in 5.56mm set up with night vision for hog hunts.

All of my big game rifles have wooden stocks mostly walnut, some laminates. The last few that I bought have stainless steel barrels and actions, just because maintenance is easier in camp in the middle of Wyoming or wherever I may find myself. As far as the black gun craze goes, I really don't care what anyone else wants to shoot I figure to each there own.
I guess that I'm just an old hippie trying real hard to adjust

It would be better to euthanize them. But, in my opinion, the current political system does not allow this yet. All the recent shooting incidents in our country in recent years have been associated not with hunting arms, but with these "tactical arms" - short-barreled Turkish semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action, AKM-like carbines under 9par. The maniacs were not supporters of "self-defense", they simply took advantage of a hole in the legislation that allows non-hunters to acquire dangerous arms.

Of course there's a reason why modern militaries and police use rifles such as the AR platform. In a US context, it's legitimate for people to have the same firearms for self defense and sport.

But I think it's important to recognize that for an evil person going after helpless people in a gun free zone, typical hunting long guns can be very dangerous. In some cases in crowded areas, the damage may have been worse with, for example, a 1960s pump shotgun and buckshot.

Overall, I want to echo what others have said. Hunters and sport shooters need to stick together. Some may have tastes that we don't share. I personally prefer firearms where the basic design predates WWII. I'm not interested in modern competition "race guns", but I'm glad that other shooters enjoy that sport.

The beauty of an ar 15 is it doesn't kick the down fall is it doesn't kick. This allows anyone to shoot a centerfire rifle.a ten year old a 90 year old a cripple person 90 lb woman or a 500 woman.it opens a whole world of shooting to all people.i have several most all pistols.ive built them all most all retro carryhandle models I have all types of other rifles shotguns and handguns.i started building them in the 90s just before the ban and the shotgunners talked this way.then they were going after everything automatic ..going by the local rural king I also noticed the large amount of minorites buy ar15s all guns for that matter.shows a lack of faith in the government.also will be a big help for us at the ballot box

I like lever guns. I like old rifles. I like blued metal and walnut.

I hear the arguments for the benefits to an AR. I don't understand the appeal. I had never owned own one or wanted to own one until Joe was elected POTUS. Then I bought one because... you never know, right?

I too echo what others have said: whatever floats your boat, whatever gets people shooting, whatever makes them more honestly 2A. Just not my thing. You reach for the Monster Energy drink (never had one, BTW)... I settle for a cup of coffee. Black, no fufu flavors or anything added. YMMV.

I do notice a whole lot more of female hunters and young subsistence style hunters and farmers.it maybe the big push about gmo in the classroom has backfired.ask any young female hunter 18 to 30 and I bet they will say they started for fear of what's in their food.my oldest is that way.they grow all their veggies hog,goats, chickens ,duck, turkey all from the worry of pesticides.shes a fine shot with an ar but doesn't like the brusing of a 3006.

But I think it's important to recognize that for an evil person going after helpless people in a gun free zone, typical hunting long guns can be very dangerous. In some cases in crowded areas, the damage may have been worse with, for example, a 1960s pump shotgun and buckshot.
That's right, short-barreled pump-action shotguns are very dangerous, despite the fact that they are useless for hunting. Even more dangerous than any rifles. Long-barreled pump pumps are also under suspicion, because it is easy to make a pump sawn-off from them. Therefore, pump-action shotguns are simply prohibited in some European countries. Semi-automatic shotguns are less dangerous, because with a handicraft shortened barrel, they usually lose the ability to reload.

We have a requirement in the law that the total length of the weapon should not be less than 80 cm, and the length of the barrel should not be less than 50 cm, but these requirements did not prevent some incidents. As for the fashion for "tactics", in itself it seems harmless to me, but rather funny. But it is unsafe when, for the sake of this fashion, manufacturers and legislators distribute dangerous types of weapons - short-barreled, small-sized, automatic and cheap.

As for practical shooting, there was recently one case with a middle-aged maniac (not uncommon - not married, lived with his mother), engaged in practical shooting, he had an AKM-type carbine under 9 mm. But it seems that he was preparing for his terrorist act in this way, and was not interested in sports. But it wasn't a mass shooting, he tried to break into the FSB building, killed a policeman in the parking lot, and was himself shot by a sniper on duty under a video camera. That is, practical shooting is not a prerequisite for terrorism, please understand me correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It comes down to what is hot and sells. The tactical testosterone trend has supply and demand. To each his own I guess, I do prefer a nice bolt or lever action with open sights or simple optics. Love the old six shooters as well. Out of the 60 plus weapons I own, only have one black rifle in 5.56mm set up with night vision for hog hunts.
It sounds like we have comparable numbers and types of firearms and I too have only one AR type rifle. It is the one that I will grab if I should ever have to repel boarders.

My AR’s are tools. They are used for nuisance animal control and home defense. I personally wouldn’t use one for hunting but don’t really care if others do.

My hunting rifles and shotguns are a different proposition entirely. Sure they are tools, but very elegant tools, and some might be considered works of art.

MSRs have no interest for me. And they have had a major impact on the firearms industry - manufacturers, distributor/dealers, gun repair people (I won't call them gunsmiths) and shooters. I find most of this junk 'cringeworthy'.

For me a rifle or shotgun has blued steel and a walnut stock. Of course, most of my guns (and their designs) predate WWII. I prefer quality to firepower.

I think that OP started this thread with subject of MSR, tactical equipment and high cap mags, with some of their users making bad PR and wrong image in public. So, we have slided a bit off topic.

I went on google search for some numbers, the ar15 owners in the states are estimated at 10 to 12 million, and up to 20 million with other sporting rifle platforms, like ak.

total population in USA is about 330 million.

So, the owners of MSR are minority in overall populaton cca 6%, but yet the same overall population is divided about this, roughly in half, 50-50. (judging by heated public debates on this issue, after each incident)
Public image matters, in the eyes of law makers.

The question is how to improve public image of the legal and responisble owners of those rifles? What went wrong to create bad press? Can it be reversed?

I will say that I am opposed to the notion that we should modify our behavior so as to be more acceptable to "society." It's wrong on many levels. People acting stupid with guns is another thing all together. If anyone is confused that somehow walnut and blue hunters are any more acceptable to "society" let me set you straight - hunters are generally hated even more for "ruthless inhumane killing of animals." And if for some reason the contents of your safe were made public, people would declare you had an arsenal, which must be evil. We can't ever win by giving in. Professional behavior I agree with. Making gun choices based on what other people think, not a chance in hell.

People came to love ARs and look alikes for three reasons. First, they are easy to modify at home without going to a gunsmith like we all do with walnut and blue. Second, they [generally] have much higher profit margins and so this is what is marketed. Third, it is what they use in FPS video games

I convert more people by taking them to the range. To a person, they love the AR after one magazine.

You know what turns nearly all new shooters off at the range? FUDs who complain about people with guns other people like

Last edited:
I'm old, 70+. The rifles in my gun safe are 50% traditional and 50% ARs in various calibers and configurations. Most of the time if I go to shoot I have an AR with me, usually one in 5.56, but sometimes in one of the other calibers. Why? Because I find them pleasant to shoot and almost everyone I own has been very easy to get to shoot accurately.

As for hunting, I use them for coyote hunting and have also carried them when deer hunting depending on the circumstances. It's kind of weird because my favorite traditional rifle is a Ruger #1, which is almost the complete opposite of an AR.

Why are they popular? I think there are several reasons:

• They are modular, you can mix and match the uppers and lowers to meet whatever task you have in mind.
  • They are easy enough for someone to build from parts.
  • With an adjustable stock they are simple to adapt to any length of pull, much easier than a traditional rifle.
  • Most are much more accurate than semi auto rifles of the past.
  • They are relatively weather resistant and easy to maintain.
  • There's a segment of the shooting public who were involved directly or indirectly in the wars of the past 20 years and that platform is very familiar to them.
  • They are available in a multitude of calibers and when you add in the larger framed AR10 version the list gets even longer.
  • You can hunt with them, in fact when you include the larger framed AR10s you can hunt almost anything in North America with them. (I'd draw the line at big bears but I'm sure it's probably been done).

I've probably missed a bunch of other reasons but you get the idea, there are lots of points about these rifles that appeal to a great many shooters and it's good for all gun owners in the US to have more new shooters regardless of whether or not they're hunters. Those who want to restrict or ban firearms are not concerned with just semi auto rifles, that's simply what they view as the low hanging fruit.

As a Vietnam vet i have fired a lot of ammo through our weapons the L1A1 SLR, M60, M16, F1 sub machine gun & 50 BMG , Browning highpower pistol ,1911 pistol & lots of captured weapons AK47, SKS RPD, ect & had lots of fun doing it as i was not paying for the ammo, but the media see these as devices made to kill people, & the younger generation shooter at the rifle range on a Saturday after noon emulating these type of weapons is not a good look. The local tv news turns up at the range with
an agenda & on the news that night all you see is wankers in cammo shooting this stuff, with not a traditional hunting rifle in sight. Monday morning some left wing anti gun politician is crying for more gun control even though it is a set up, the general public are not aware of that fact & probably do not care. In Australia the semi auto firearms are strictly controlled& the firearm importers have had legal copies made to sell to the wannabees tactical kids.

Last edited:
The Second Amendment has literally nothing to do with hunting. An AR15 with modern optics, a light, tactical sling, etc... is a more efficient tool than a classic bolt action rifle to secure the blessings of liberty.

I prefer classic sporting rifles and shotguns, blued steel and walnut, and artistic design. But I have a couple of utility firearms that are stainless steel and plastic. I personally have no problem with other shooters who prefer semi autos and the military look.
Where I do diverge from current gun culture is the idea that game animals are "targets" to be "taken down" and the entire list of violent, "enemy" phrases that originate in warfare but are often applied to game animals. All game animals deserve our respect. It is not good enough to be "competent killers". Hunters have an obligation to the animals they hunt. Playing soldier has no place in the type of hunting that I admire.

I am pretty relaxed about the "tactical" look. It doesn't appeal to me at all, my guns are blued steel and wood-not even a laminate in sight.

But I grew up playing 'armies' with my friends, I never served but my father and grandfather both did and I was born during the war here. Mortar attacks and convoys and the old man had an FN in the gun cabinet. I can see how they would appeal to many people and firing off a semi auto AR is good fun. I reckon we should all stick together more-the anti's don't care what the rifle looks like, they want all firearms gone and just cos your neighbour has poor taste in firearms-dont kick him in the groin.Even ugly people need a wife- guns are pretty much the same.
^^^This^^^

And this is just funny (and true)! "Even ugly people need a wife- guns are pretty much the same."

The only reason I have an AR is I won it. That being said, it is fun to shoot. It also was easy to fit my 6 year old (few years ago) granddaughter with it and get her shooting something a little bigger than the 22.
It's good to see so many agree that the black rifle crowd is another ally in the battle to protect the 2A. We can aid the cause by pointing that out to them as well. Besides, we need them to provide the covering fire while we reload.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EveHindwoo

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?