Obsession with tactical rifles & equipment

More marketing BS. The NRA catalog is a perfect example - "tactical shorts" for god's sake - give me a break.
I don't go for all this tactical crap. I got plenty of that with 30 years military experience. I do own an AR 15 5.56 with several 30 round mags clamped together in pairs. That is my intruder deterrent. All my other guns are wood and steel in "practical" calibers. When I see all the twits, twerps, and other jokers in head to toe camo I kinda shake my head and smile, wondering what they would do in a real situation.

wondering what they would do in a real situation.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't go for all this tactical crap. I got plenty of that with 30 years military experience. I do own an AR 15 5.56 with several 30 round mags clamped together in pairs. That is my intruder deterrent. All my other guns are wood and steel in "practical" calibers. When I see all the twits, twerps, and other jokers in head to toe camo I kinda shake my head and smile, wondering what they would do in a real situation.
@Newboomer
Those others would either freeze up or piss their pants and run.
The closest I came to a tacti cool was when I bought a Johnson 30-06 to have fun with. That was one cool rifle but stupidity sold it. We can't get any of that stuff so those people have to be content with tacti cool bolt actions.
Bob

About as tactical as I get anymore is my AR stoked with home defense ammo in the front of the safe for easy access, I get it out every month or so to check batteries and what not. Plus I keep my 10mm concealed about everywhere I go that is legal for me to have concealed.

Some younger shooters & gun shops seem to have an obsession with tactical fire arms & equipment , cammo chassis
rifles, high capacity magazines. muzzle breaks bipods , night vision gear, military packs & cloathing i have seen kids at the range with muzzle breaks on a 22 RF , & banana mags & tactical scopes, I believe that is the wrong image to be setting & it plays right into the anti gun turds agenda. Or am i out of touch?. The blued steel & walnut hunting rifle seems to be a thing of the past . They even sell lever release 12 g shot guns with pistol grip stocks & detachable box magazines, for duck hunting.
Marketing. Capitalism at work.

Tactical guns are fun and remind me of my time in the USMC as an armorer. I would spend countless hours on the range and was able to shoot large quantities of tax payer funded 5.56 and x51. I was truly blessed to have this MOS. That said, I own many AR15s, 10s and AK variants. I will hunt pigs with my AR 10 but the rest are for casual shooting or keeping meth-heads at bay.

When I was growing up, I would have given anything to own something like an AR-15, what young man wouldn't want one? I had to settle for Grandpa's .410 bolt action squirrel slayer but that thing was awesome too! I can still remember being on Parris Island and shooting the M16 for the first time. It was amazing and despite being hazed into oblivion by the DI's it was the best part of boot camp for me.

Now at my 30s, I prefer bolt action rifles and handloading for them. I am all for walnut/blued guns, but haven't really seen any new off the shelf production rifles that didn't scream mass produced garbage. Most of them have that freedom arms, .gov employee quality bluing done to them. Sad!

Maybe a new production Win 70 featherweight has good, deep bluing? All I see at the LGS these days in the new rifle section is $3-400 garbage rods.

Some younger shooters & gun shops seem to have an obsession with tactical fire arms & equipment , cammo chassis
rifles, high capacity magazines. muzzle breaks bipods , night vision gear, military packs & cloathing i have seen kids at the range with muzzle breaks on a 22 RF , & banana mags & tactical scopes, I believe that is the wrong image to be setting & it plays right into the anti gun turds agenda. Or am i out of touch?. The blued steel & walnut hunting rifle seems to be a thing of the past . They even sell lever release 12 g shot guns with pistol grip stocks & detachable box magazines, for duck hunting.
I am totally on the same page rdog - all my love and interest is for the "brown" rifles - not at all the black ones.
To me, they put all we hunters and outdoor lovers in a wrong and bad light. In my gunshop I have a lot of beautyful side by syde from the "golden era", nice wood rifles, some good vintage Colt and SW - not a single "black rifle". I simply do not like 'hem. I know I'll be not popular, but even in the field of the military rifles, that's no battle between the beauty of an old Mauser K98, and one of the new army weapons.

There is no walnut in any store in NoVa. So I order or travel for everything

Too many years of hockey left me with both wrists needing to be rebuilt. I have lost a lot of range of
Motion post surgery, which makes shooting my classic rifles somewhat awkward. The AR/tactical grip is much easier for me to use now. I have just put a Bergara barreled action in an MDT HN26 chassis for mountain hunting. I really prefer the looks of my classic sporters, but in my case, the chassis system is more comfortable to shoot. Do I love the tactical look? No. But I do love the function.

Would the R8 pro success work for you?

Absolutely. I have actually been thinking about it. My investment in custom classic rifles is not insignificant, making the decision a tough one.

I am sure. The wood version of this stock is pretty impressive

Reactions: WAB

I do need to run the rabbit on this new rig. If you’re unfamiliar with chassis systems, google the MDT HNT26. Lightest chassis on the market. Designed specifically to provide target rifle performance with mountain rifle weight (26 oz).

I do need to run the rabbit on this new rig. If you’re unfamiliar with chassis systems, google the MDT HNT26. Lightest chassis on the market. Designed specifically to provide target rifle performance with mountain rifle weight (26 oz).
Didn't like the M-14 or M-16 so they issued me an M-60. Now that was a beautiful piece and I loved it. It would reach out and really touch someone. I've often thought I'd like to have one of my own---someday.

Tactical guns are fun and remind me of my time in the USMC as an armorer. I would spend countless hours on the range and was able to shoot large quantities of tax payer funded 5.56 and x51. I was truly blessed to have this MOS. That said, I own many AR15s, 10s and AK variants. I will hunt pigs with my AR 10 but the rest are for casual shooting or keeping meth-heads at bay.

When I was growing up, I would have given anything to own something like an AR-15, what young man wouldn't want one? I had to settle for Grandpa's .410 bolt action squirrel slayer but that thing was awesome too! I can still remember being on Parris Island and shooting the M16 for the first time. It was amazing and despite being hazed into oblivion by the DI's it was the best part of boot camp for me.

Now at my 30s, I prefer bolt action rifles and handloading for them. I am all for walnut/blued guns, but haven't really seen any new off the shelf production rifles that didn't scream mass produced garbage. Most of them have that freedom arms, .gov employee quality bluing done to them. Sad!

Maybe a new production Win 70 featherweight has good, deep bluing? All I see at the LGS these days in the new rifle section is $3-400 garbage rods.
@MTA89
5.56X51 must be a typo or a new cartridge.

Reactions: MTA
I have noticed one effect of the popularity of 'modern sporting rifles' that I lament. There seems to be quite a few people who, after assembling a few black guns, acrewing in a few barrels and fitting supressors, call themselves gunsmiths. Real gunsmiths that I know actually MAKE things and have spent many years learning their craft.

I don't trust a gunsmith under 40 to work on my rifles. Or under 50 to work on my double guns. And these older guys are very busy, or dying or retiring and it seems to be getting more difficult to find competent people to work on classic firearms.

Perhaps I am just a curmudgeon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.