Nothing Exceeds Like Excess!

2L8

AH veteran
Reaction score
Just in case you having a hard time getting enough energy on target (ie doubling your .470 NE) I notice Bertram has the first Sterling Davenport .585 Nyati for $5,000 on the site. Just the ticket if you need to stop a charging Panzer.

http://bertramandco.com/rifles-for-sale.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 1.17.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 1.17.23 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 1.17.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 1.17.26 PM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 250
Just in case you having a hard time getting enough energy on target (ie doubling your .470 NE) I notice Bertram has the first Sterling Davenport .585 Nyati for $5,000 on the site. Just the ticket if you need to stop a charging Panzer.

http://bertramandco.com/rifles-for-sale.html
I believe @matt85 either had a .585 nyati or a .585 HE I don't remember... It seems to me like a cartridge from an age gone by, when big bores were required for big animals... nowadays, a solid bronze .50 cal. 600 grain solid is probably as big as anyone NEEDS to ever go... but need and want are two different scenarios. also... methinks 11lbs will be farrrr too light for this gun...

14% More Energy than a .700 NE in a 11 lb Rifle does seem a little excessive. Even with a brake!

I have often wondered if anything beyond a .577 was really needed even for an Elephant stopping rifle. I remember watched a video with a "Double-Tap" on a charging Elephant with a .500 NE and it seemed to put the Bull down with authority.

Of course given my vast Elephant experience (I saw one once in the zoo) what do I know?

Last edited:
Thanks @RR 314 ! This is indeed the exact rifle now in the hands of my friend.

14% More Energy than a .700 NE in a 11 lb Rifle does seem a little excessive. Even with a brake!

I have often wondered if anything beyond a .577 was really needed even for an Elephant stopping rifle. I remember watched a video with a "Double-Tap" on a charging Elephant with a .500 NE and it seemed to put the Bull down with authority.

Of course given my vast Elephant experience (I saw one once in the zoo) what do I know?

I still maintain brakes are sold in the feminine hygiene section

I believe I might achieve a higher level of enlightened UNconsciousness were I to touch one off with that, lol.

If I remember correctly it’s van horne. There are 3 or 4 versions ranging from 2.5 inch to the 3 inch. I think there may have been a2.25 inch version also.
Thank You

There was a 585 AHR listed, Wayne @ that time said the seller had the last of that Brass & believe it was to be discontinued. That was that.

But there seems to be a lot of 585's: Nyati, Hubel, GMA, AHR, VH
idk.

There was a 585 AHR listed, Wayne @ that time said the seller had the last of that Brass & believe it was to be discontinued. That was that.

But there seems to be a lot of 585's: Nyati, Hubel, GMA, AHR, VH
idk.
Don’t forget the 577 t-Rex by A2 . It’s just the 3 inch version. If you get one I would suggest having a chamber cast done as there are different shoulder and throat dimensions. I’m going to do that on my latest one.

Don’t forget the 577 t-Rex by A2 . It’s just the 3 inch version. If you get one I would suggest having a chamber cast done as there are different shoulder and throat dimensions. I’m going to do that on my latest one.
I didn't know there were possible dimension variables with that cartridge as well. All aside, i find them just as intriguing. I look forward to hearing more or seeing your 577...

I didn't know there were possible dimension variables with that cartridge as well. All aside, i find them just as intriguing. I look forward to hearing more or seeing your 577...
Can I ask, or guess I am, "who's building" your 577's?

My first one was built about 30 years ago by a guy in Illinois on a p14. He also built me a 505. The one I just got I I bought on GUNBROKER. It is on a bbko2 action.

Attachments

• 585 AHR Brass Jamison Brand - Reloading Brass at GunBroker.com : 1033160524.pdf
    494.6 KB · Views: 31

@2L8
A mate took a friend out after pigs because the guy had just bought a new 500 double. He had 60 rounds he wanted to shoot off so he could relax it for buffalo. As if a 500 needs special loads for buff.
The bloke had more money than brains.
Long story but the short version is said Muppet lined up on a kangaroo up a steep hill. Said Muppet pulled the front trigger and ended up with a double discharge. After he got up off the ground and dusted himself off Al he could say was shit I missed the bloody roo.
The mate just laughed his head off.
Blue did have a couple of shots out of it and it cured him of ever wanting one. After his 500 experience his 243 was just fine for him. If a 243 is fine for anything.
Bob

I believe I might achieve a higher level of enlightened UNconsciousness were I to touch one off with that, lol.
or a detached retina. Sheesh.

Do those come with depleted uranium bullets? (asking for a friend)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross