Nosler Data?

Nevada Mike

AH legend
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,191
Reaction score
4,777
Location
S.E. Arizona
Media
31
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
I have seen some members here dis Nosler data. I see omissions that make understanding and using the data difficult. Some of the velocity data is pretty far (150 fps) from what I get on my chrono for the same length barrel, bullet, etc..

Can anyone comment?
 
They seem to us 26in. Barrels a lot. I wish these manuals would use 22in. for standard calibers a d 24in. for magnum. Also brand of cases make a difference.
 
Test barrels vs hunting barrels. Their case capacity vs mine. I've never come across the one-hit-wonder published recipe in a stack of loading manuals that I can exactly duplicate in my rifle. I see published load data as a starting point and a means of keeping me from blowing myself up.

I do like that Nosler publishes their load densities.
 
I have seen some members here dis Nosler data. I see omissions that make understanding and using the data difficult. Some of the velocity data is pretty far (150 fps) from what I get on my chrono for the same length barrel, bullet, etc..

Can anyone comment?
Same here!

I clocked Nosler Safari Grade 458 Lott Solids at 2150 fps from a 24" barrel on three separate occasions using a Lab Radar. Nosler lists their velocity at 2300.

For their Safari Grade 458 Win Solids, I clocked them at 2140 fps from 25" barrels of my Heym 88B.

For Nosler Safari Grade Partition loads:
458 Lott: 2024 fps (2 shots only)
458 Win: 2020 fps

What did Ronald Reagan say about the Soviets? "Trust but verify."

Of course I bought the above ammo on sale (half price) from Nosler. Maybe full price Nosler Safari Grade ammo reaches their published velocity?
 
Working on loads for my 25-‘06 tha past few days and nere is what I found, amongst other things.

Using new, prepped, PPC 25-'06 hulls, Rem 9-1/2 primers and 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, all seated to the same COAL. V/Charge calculations noted

Nosler Book Max Load (24" test barrel)

49.5 gr. IMR 4350 using Nosler brass = 3191 fps VC=76.6

Hornady Book Max Load (24" Rem 700 barrel)

52.5 gr. IMR 4350 using Hornaday brass = '3000' fps (more or less?) Using 3000 fps and 3099 fps VC = 57.1 (min) to 59.0 (max)

My results with a fresh can of IMR 4350 (Ruger No. 1 w/ 25" Brux Barrel)

52.0 gr. IMR 4350 using PPC brass = 3267 fps VC = 62.8 (ES =36)

I use Velocity/Charge values (VC) to help guide my reloading, but find these discrepencies in RL manuals all the time, with all my rifles. ?
 
Last edited:
I have seen some members here dis Nosler data. I see omissions that make understanding and using the data difficult. Some of the velocity data is pretty far (150 fps) from what I get on my chrono for the same length barrel, bullet, etc..

Can anyone comment?
@Nevada Mike
Every rifle is a law unto itself.
Sometimes a load can be faster, slower or pretty close to the published velocity.
I have loaded the same load in friends rifles ( same cases, primers, powder charge and projectiles) one was just slightly over velocity the other was a good couple of hundred fps slower. Both were Tikka T3s and identical in every aspect even the scopes. Balistics is a strange thing.
Bob
 
Working on loads for my 25-‘06 tha past few days and nere is what I found, amongst other things.

Using new, prepped, PPC 25-'06 hulls, Rem 9-1/2 primers and 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, all seated to the same COAL. V/Charge calculations noted

Nosler Book Max Load (24" test barrel)

49.5 gr. IMR 4350 using Nosler brass = 3191 fps VC=76.6

Hornady Book Max Load (24" Rem 700 barrel)

52.5 gr. IMR 4350 using Hornaday brass = '3000' fps (more or less?) Using 3000 fps and 3099 fps VC = 57.1 (min) to 59.0 (max)

My results with a fresh can of IMR 4350 (Ruger No. 1 w/ 25" Brux Barrel)

52.0 gr. IMR 4350 using PPC brass = 3267 fps VC = 62.8 (ES =36)

I use Velocity/Charge values (VC) to help guide my reloading, but find these discrepencies in RL manuals all the time, with all my rifles. ?
@Nevada Mike
My go to load in my mates 25-06 using 100gn nosler balistic tips is.
54 grains of Hodgdon 4350 for just over 3,300fps and three quarters of an inch groups.
Tried Hodgdon 4831 at 57 grains, similar velocity but accuracy was 1 inch.
THESE LOADS ARE SAFE IN MY RIFLE ONLY. REDUCE LOADS BY 3 GRAINS AND WORK UP.
 
Personally I've found the listed velocities in the Nosler manuals to be typically a bit higher than what I in the loads I've built. Why? Who knows....barrel length, brass differences, barrel diameter....and in the end I don't care. As long as I'm in the velocity ball park for the caliber and bullet weight, it's just not worth worrying about. I can't control all of the variables. I'm developing loads for accuracy, so once again if the velocity is about where it should be but my load is accurate, I call it a win.

What I have found on numerous occasions with the Nosler manual, not always but usually, the powder and charge weight they list as "Most accurate load" turns out to be that or very close to it.
 
Of course I bought the above ammo on sale (half price) from Nosler. Maybe full price Nosler Safari Grade ammo reaches their published velocity?
Could be. I bought a case of their 9.3x62 with 286gr solids on clearance, but it was within a few days of being put on clearance, and it clocked at 2394fps (once I bought a new chronograph that worked). So in just a few days of being on clearance, it had already lost 6fps from the posted 2400fps on the box. Makes me wonder if it will continue slowing down after another year or two on my shelf... :unsure:
 
Ya, I have found some of their loads to be on the hot side as well.
But I have noticed that many Nosler MAX loads are below the max loads suggested in the Hornady manual? I have an arm full of reloading manuals... I feel like I have to keep buying them becuse powders keep changing.
 
Who knows? Of all the manuals I have, the Nolser manual is the one collecting the most dust :) I tend to start with a caliber specific Loadbook like the one pictured below, find data that has pressures included, start low and work up using a chronograph to a conservative velocity objective while watching for low velocity SDs.

IMG_5050.JPG
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,378
Messages
1,574,549
Members
170,057
Latest member
JorgHelmor
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top