Nosler big bore bullets

Lbarr265

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Does anyone know is Nosler officially discontinuing the large bore solids? They have been out of stock of 416 and 458 forever and they 2023 product catalog shows loaded solid ammo but no bullets. I was also searching their site and they have 470 solids for sale on “close out”.

All my reloads are Nosler so if they are discontinuing anything over 338 and anything solid I’m gonna need a new go to. Any suggestions?

Does anyone know is Nosler officially discontinuing the large bore solids? They have been out of stock of 416 and 458 forever and they 2023 product catalog shows loaded solid ammo but no bullets. I was also searching their site and they have 470 solids for sale on “close out”.

All my reloads are Nosler so if they are discontinuing anything over 338 and anything solid I’m gonna need a new go to. Any suggestions?
I have heard something very similar from at least 2 sources. Very unfortunate.

I can openly endorse Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids as a viable replacement.

Anything over .338 ? So no NP,AB in .35,,9,3 and so on ? Due to market interest or "someone behind the curtains" working with it ?

Anything over .338 ? So no NP,AB in .35,,9,3 and so on ? Due to market interest or "someone behind the curtains" working with it ?

I was referring specifically to solids and my quest for others over 338 they are still providing partition and accubond for some but not all calibers.

I suspect their company focus is shifting from premium bullets to general hunting and weapons given their new product lines of broad heads and silencers.

They were insanely expensive when launched and they created a high pressure spike compared to thin driving bands on the preferred mono solids. They also make a complete mess of a rifle, gilding all the rifling in brass that takes $15 in special solvents and an hour of elbow grease to remove from the bores after only 2-3 shots per barrel.

If I was looking for a solid, I would always go for a conventional solid for double rifle, Hornady DGS, Federal Sledgehammer, Woodleigh Weldcore Solid. These work in all rifle barrels and are proven.

If I had to have a monometal solid (I don't, and I won't), then you need to find something with driving bands that are easy on barrels which they aren't. They are also longer by weight (more volume due to lighter than lead) so they tend to damage barrels and split the ribs on double rifles. But your choices seem to be Northfork, Cutting Edge, and Barnes.

Why does everyone have to have a monometal solid? Answer: to solve a problem that no longer exists. In the olden days some of the lead core solids that had a steel jacket, then washed with copper gilding metal, had a large meplat at the butt of the bullet. Those old solids would squish out like toothpaste and wouldn't penetrate correctly. These problems were solved by bonding the jackets and having a smaller hole in the meplat by the mid-1990s. But that old fear created these monometals that have ruined more guns than they've killed game.

Nearly all Nosler bullets (esp. in Europe) are sold out, lead time unknown.

Does anybody know the reason behind?
Has Nosler production issues, a new market / product strategy or what´s going on?

Nearly all Nosler bullets (esp. in Europe) are sold out, lead time unknown.

Does anybody know the reason behind?
Has Nosler production issues, a new market / product strategy or what´s going on?
You might actually be on to something. I emailed them 3 weeks ago (twice) asking when they will have .375 Holland & Holland Magnum caliber 300Gr Nosler Partition factory loads back in stock again (I need them for an upcoming lion hunt in Tanzania). They sent me an automated reply telling me that they received my email. But no reply so far.

Solids:
Swift break away solids
CEB solids
North Fork solids
Woodleigh solids…if they ever come back. Slowest rebuild of a factory fire ever…

HH

Update from 2024.

A few big bore cartridges in stock, most at clearance prices.

416 Rigby has been dropped from the lineup. A worrying trend I've been seeing from Sako, Norma, Barnes etc. Either all out of stock or no longer being offered.

Attachments

• Trophy Grade™ Safari Ammunition.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danpowder

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you