Norma PH solids for Buffalo

Nice! I had great success and performance with the 400 gr A frames in my 404 Jeff on buff - glad to hear you had a similar experience
 
On my recent buff hunt my PH (Mike Angelides) advised me to bring some solids, since we might need them if shooting in dense brush. I loaded 400 grain SAFs and flat point Barnes banded solids for my 404J and tweaked the loads for POI.
I did not need the solids, as the SAFs did a great job on the two bulls I shot. I love the SAFs, but carried the solids for use if heeded.
 
Make your PH happy. If your rifle holds 3 rounds or 4 rounds make the last one a solid. Don't worry too much about it shooting at the same point of aim outside of 25 yards. Odds are if you need it, that solid will be used up close and personal.
 
I have a old mate here in Australia who was a PH here in the top end. He had two rifles he used a 375 H&H along with a 458 win mag. He much prefer the 375 and said it killed our Asian Buffalo which are considerably larger then the cape better than the 458. Nearly all animals were shot with the Hornady 300 gr solid. Not a expensive bullet by today’s premium projectiles. His total buff killed was over 160 . Most were one shot kills. Not many men today have that sort or experience and we are unlikely to see his kind again.
 
In Zim this July I was hunting Dugga boys in some thick stuff. Ph had me load both barrels with solids. I would have generally rolled with soft then solids after, but at the end of the day it’s his show. I also don’t think his logic was off. Any shot was likely to be close and partially obscured, and over penetration wasn’t a real concern. Never got the opportunity to test the theory out.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,272
Messages
1,571,237
Members
169,296
Latest member
SergioBour
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top