Norma Bondstrike experience?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Does anyone have experience with Norma Bondstrike; particularly in one of the .30 calibers? I have seen that there are quite a few marketing-related posts about the Bondstrike on this forum, but I would be interested to hear any real-world experience in terms of accuracy and terminal performance from other AH members. The local Scheel's store has some Norma Bondstrike 30-06 180gr. loaded ammo at a pretty good price, but wanted to seek out some info before I give them a try.

No, but I’ve been happy with my other Norma ammo purchases. I’m using the Norma whitetail in .243 and 6.5 creedmoor. It’s more of a price point ammo with a super simple soft point bullet, but for the price it is exceptional. The brass is really nice.

I’ve also been using their PH line in my .500/.416 double. These are everything you would want out of premium ammo.

I am also interested in the Bondstrike. I’m hoping someone else will come along with some real world experience.

I used the BondStrike for the first time last Elk season. I killed 2 cow Elk with the 6.5mm 143 grain version in handloads. One elk was ~400 lbs on the hoof, the other was "full size", ~500 lbs. Both were shot broadside, tight in the leg crease, one walking and the other standing at distances between 150 - 175 yards. Both bullets exited. The handload has an average MV of ~2,660 fps from a 22" barrel.

Based on that experience, when I get back from a hunt in May, I'll be working up a load for the 180 grain version for my .30-06, 24" barrel. I also have a box of their factory ammo that I will test and grab MVs.

I have used BondStrikes with a 24 inch barrel Tikka. They were 143 grain factory loads and delivered a bit less than their listed velocities—2,900 FPS. The four deer were shot at ranges from 75 yards to 150. All deer dropped immediately with text book shots. The rounds penetrated through both does. The two bucks had bullets recovered under the skin on the distal side. The recovered bullets both amazingly weighed exactly 121 grains. In my gun it is amazingly accurate. Any shortage of this Norma round is due to me buying all I find.

2F1C848C-E14E-465E-A312-15E44319FB6B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have experience with Norma Bondstrike; particularly in one of the .30 calibers? I have seen that there are quite a few marketing-related posts about the Bondstrike on this forum, but I would be interested to hear any real-world experience in terms of accuracy and terminal performance from other AH members. The local Scheel's store has some Norma Bondstrike 30-06 180gr. loaded ammo at a pretty good price, but wanted to seek out some info before I give them a try.
I do not recommend Norma ammo. There are simply too many better choices. Ive had their factory ammo have bullet failures on hunts. Look at Barnes and Swift for your hunting ammo.

For some reason, I left out the Caliber on my earlier post. It was a 6.5 PRC with a 143 grain bullet with retrieved weight of 121 grains.

Which bullets and of what nature were these failures?
It was the Oryx in .300RUM. I thought it was a good bullet and it shot ok. On my ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan my first shot went through the middle of the neck and it did not expand and had no effect. I thought I missed. Upon inspection it just failed to open. Keep in mind these goats have a neck the size of a 400 pound calf!
I know all these companies have made major improvements in bullet technology. What happened in the past, although hard to get over, is in the past. However if you read their load offerings I find it curious they are loading Swift A Frame and Barnes TSX. These are my recommendations For most any hunt.
Regards,
Philip

It was the Oryx in .300RUM. I thought it was a good bullet and it shot ok. On my ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan my first shot went through the middle of the neck and it did not expand and had no effect. I thought I missed. Upon inspection it just failed to open. Keep in mind these goats have a neck the size of a 400 pound calf!
I know all these companies have made major improvements in bullet technology. What happened in the past, although hard to get over, is in the past. However if you read their load offerings I find it curious they are loading Swift A Frame and Barnes TSX. These are my recommendations For most any hunt.
Regards,
Philip
haha Phillip I know we have had this conversation before on a different thread but I've had nothing but great success with the Norma Oryx and all things Norma

They shoot absolute lights out of a Tikka 300 wsm. Just wish I could find some more of these.

Regards,
Philip
Ive had a Oryx fl .358 Norma Mag devadtate both a moose and roe deer same night,same poi . 50 meters it was. It looked like shotgun shell detonated , i was pretty disdain on not only my self,but also the paper pushers office slowness that had delayed license time of a 7x57 i had ordered.

haha Phillip I know we have had this conversation before on a different thread but I've had nothing but great success with the Norma Oryx and all things Norma
Good deal! I am one of those funny guys that when he climbs a mountain to 13,000 feet, can't breathe, frozen nearly to death, dangerously dehydrated, and then finally get a shot opportunity and my bullet fails then I can't go back with that ammo again.
I know it is not good to hold a grudge because bullet technology changes all the time but I guess there is still a little Irish blood flowing through these veins.
Best of luck.
Philip

Good deal! I am one of those funny guys that when he climbs a mountain to 13,000 feet, can't breathe, frozen nearly to death, dangerously dehydrated, and then finally get a shot opportunity and my bullet fails then I can't go back with that ammo again.
I know it is not good to hold a grudge because bullet technology changes all the time but I guess there is still a little Irish blood flowing through these veins.
Best of luck.
Philip
no it's completely understandable, I'm very much the same. Once I have a bad taste in my mouth its very hard to change my mind, just mention Sako that usually gets me going haha

Regards,
Philip
So you have a sample of one? Any more examples to validate your assessment that Norma ammo is inferior? I've got a sample size of about 20 that have been used culling hogs up to about 250lbs, which are very tough animals as you know. Sako S20 6.5PRC, 143 Norma Bondstrike, has performed to perfection so far.

Last edited:
My son and I have used them in 30-06 shooting 180 grain loading on Zebra, Waterbuck, Impala & Warthog with great results.

So you have a sample of one? Any more examples to validate your assessment that Norma ammo is inferior? I've got a sample size of about 20 that have been used culling hogs up to about 250lbs, which are very tough animals as you know. Sako S20 6.5PRC, 143 Norma Bondstrike, has performed to perfection so far.
No sir. If your read my comments it sailed through the animal without opening. It is just one anecdotal occurrence that keeps me from using Norma ammo. You are free to proceed with whatever is best for your hog hunting needs.

No sir. If your read my comments it sailed through the animal without opening. It is just one anecdotal occurrence that keeps me from using Norma ammo. You are free to proceed with whatever is best for your hog hunting needs.
Nothing personal, I was just asking if you had other examples, or an example of one.....one incident. It appears as this is the case. Just looking for clarification. I've killed almost 400 big game animals, so it's not just hog hunting I'm doing. Hogs are an excellent test though.

I’ve shot the Norma estrike 150gr from my 300 wsm. They were shooting about 3300fps and grouped really tight at 200. Performed on Texas hogs well enough. All I really wanted was the brass though…

Nothing personal, I was just asking if you had other examples, or an example of one.....one incident. It appears as this is the case. Just looking for clarification. I've killed almost 400 big game animals, so it's not just hog hunting I'm doing. Hogs are an excellent test though.
Yes they are great for testing. And good for you for actually shooting stuff so you know how your ammo performs. I wish more hunters did this before a big safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross