No Waste No Hunger Initiative

Would you pay a fee to have the meat from your hunt support local people to help stop poaching?

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

MRodrigues1991

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to do a survey on the site to get perspective for an initiative I have begun to develop. I am based in New York and am an avid African hunter with my parents being born in Angola and Mozambique giving me great personal ties back to the country. I went on my last hunt in October for a cape buffalo and the amount of meat poaching in the area I hunt in Limpopo was devastating.

With that, I currently doing my MBA in New York and have entered into a business start up competition where I will be pitching my idea to help try and slowdown the poaching initiatives through setting up an organization that provides meat and support to the people who need it most with the end goal of eliminating the need for poaching meat. We are pitching it as the No Waste No Hunger Initiative. Teaming with outfitters and hunters to find ways to overcome the poaching challenges we are facing throughout Africa. Obviously a very optimistic task but even one animal saved from poaching makes it worth it.

If you could simply give a response to the survey question it would be much appreciated! Any questions or comments, feel free to comment on the thread. I understand that there are significant sources of poaching that not one person can fix alone so i appreciate any feedback, experiences, etc.

Thanks everyone!

It would depend on the fee.
I agree but, yes if there was a small fee and it was proving to work then im not opposed to it. The outfitter i went with utilises the lot and some is donated but different location different situation.

I'm not sure I understand. On my two previous hunts the meat was for local use except the small amount used in the camp. What is the fee for? The meat already goes for local use.

I agree with Sierra one... Nearly all the meat goes to local communities ( except in RSA).

I'm not sure I understand. On my two previous hunts the meat was for local use except the small amount used in the camp. What is the fee for? The meat already goes for local use.

I agree with Sierra one... Nearly all the meat goes to local communities ( except in RSA).

This initiative is focused currently in SA where a lot of the meat is actually sold into the local meat industry and is a way for outfitters to offer lower prices to hunters as well.

I agree but, yes if there was a small fee and it was proving to work then im not opposed to it. The outfitter i went with utilises the lot and some is donated but different location different situation.

If it was reasonable I would.

Using a kudu hunt as an example, the fee here would be maybe $500 additional dollars to the trophy fee. I am makign rough calculations so this is all hypothetical. Assumes a 300kg kudu, with a 40% yield which results in 120 kilos in consumable meat harvested. This fee would be utilized to compensate the outfitter for the loss in sales they would have otherwise gotten, and also provide transportation services for the meat to get to the people and to also help set up cold storage and services for them as well.

For those that are voting no, can you clarify why to make sure I capture those reasons as well. Will be helpful, thanks!

Hey,

All the power to you for wanting to help in the fight against poaching.

Typically the landowner in South Africa owns the animals on the land.
If it’s open land they don’t, but for all terms let’s say that they dispose of the animals shot on their land.

The going rate from a butcher for wild game is about R25-R30/Kg for a carcass, depending of where in SA and the type of meat.
Your 120 Kg Kudu carcass would give the landowner R3000- R3600 extra in addition to the trophy fee he charges the outfitter.

So basically what you’re asking to do is to purchase the carcass from the landowner/user and donate it to whoever you deem should be the ones that benefit from it?
This is not an uncommon practice for the hunter to purchase the “whole” animal and however the landowner is dividing the different part is up to them.
That’s how I do most of my hunting. I get the price for the whole animal and do with it as I please, horn, skin and meat.
I”m sure that some people would be interested to this kind of charity and it’s easy enough to let the Outfitter know that you would want to purchase a carcass and donate it to people in need.
Many Outfitters are connected with local charities and volunteer groups and may be able to assist with it, to what is most needed in their areas, as it may not only be meat, it may be other needs as well.

Many willing hands make a difference.
Good luck

I would not be willing to pay an extra $500 for the carcass of an animal I have already paid $2000-$2500 for the trophy fee. It comes down to adding total cost to my hunt. What the outfitter does with the meat resulting from a successful hunt is for him to decide. I already donate regularly to a couple of conservation organizations and don't plan on adding another at this time.

I voted no. I would pay an extra fee for money going directly to anti-poaching/directly to wildlife with a trickledown of creating jobs and wildlife value to the people. I wouldn’t pay extra to go directly to people with a secondary effect of hopefully protecting wildlife. I booked with charlton mccallum safaris in Zimbabwe in 2021 partly because this extra fee showed to me they are invested in their areas. If you go on their website there is a full accounting of how the money gets spent and where it comes from for anti-poaching.

I voted no. I would pay an extra fee for money going directly to anti-poaching/directly to wildlife with a trickledown of creating jobs and wildlife value to the people. I wouldn’t pay extra to go directly to people with a secondary effect of hopefully protecting wildlife. I booked with charlton mccallum safaris in Zimbabwe in 2021 partly because this extra fee showed to me they are invested in their areas. If you go on their website there is a full accounting of how the money gets spent and where it comes from for anti-poaching.

Fair point, definitely have to outline clearly how the meat donated will stop poaching or funds from it will be used to help stop poaching. That is the final goal here.

I think the same as you "sierraone".

I don't agree with an extra fee. My trophy fees and hunt costs cover everything concerning my animal except getting it from the outfitter to my home. Most of the meat goes to the local economy except for some kept for home use at the lodge.

I posted earlier, but yes I would like to see it go directly to the cause if that’s an extra fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you