Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
As the title says....I am wanting to convert a No 1 375 H&H Belted Rimless to Flanged Mag NE.

I am hearing the timing of the rib is the bugger. Seems the "easier but more expensive" way to do this is with an entirely new barrel. This is what I am getting thus far, from the trade.

Any thoughts on a North American gunsmith I might talk to who is not afraid of this conversion, using the original Ruger barrel? Not ready to give up.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Interesting, you might want to reach out to Arron Little in Texas.

Thanks Dave....I will!

@tarbe ,

Are you sure converting from a .375 H&H belted magnum to .375 Rimmed is possible?

The belt measures .524" on new brass.
The same area in the rimmed case measures .506"

IMG_20221108_101411159~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@tarbe ,

Are you sure converting from a .375 H&H belted magnum to .375 Rimmed is possible?

Yes...you just have to set the barrel back about a quarter inch to make it work. This takes out the "fat" spot.

Difficulty is in timing the threads so the rib and front sight are back at 12 O'clock.

Another vote for Aaron Little from a satisfied customer.

Sent Aaron an email. Hoping this is something he might have time for.

The machining function of timing the rib should be no more difficult than timing a fluted barrel as an example. The math will get you close, then there is some fiddling. Maybe there is some issue with how the rib attaches, does the machine work at the breach remove that? I’m no pro and never worked on a #1. I suspect you’ll find a smith willing to take it on.

The machining function of timing the rib should be no more difficult than timing a fluted barrel as an example. The math will get you close, then there is some fiddling. Maybe there is some issue with how the rib attaches, does the machine work at the breach remove that? I’m no pro and never worked on a #1. I suspect you’ll find a smith willing to take it on.
Exactly my thought...a little trial and error, going slowly, once you get it close.

The kind of thing gunsmiths tend to have to do a lot of?

If you do this you know I’m going to send you another 375 H&H because I just can’t stand to know you don’t have one! There are laws man!
a guy must at all times maintain in his possession a minimum of one(1) 375 H&H and at least a 12 pack of cold beer! I don’t make the rules buddy! When you find the guy willing to do it let me know, I’m sending one as well!

I will still have a 375 H&H....just a Flanged N.E. vs that dastardly belted abomination!! :)

I talked to Aaron back in August and he wasn’t taking any new work. His work is certainly worth waiting for, however. Incredible blend of art and technical prowess.

I’m sure Lohman in Houston could handle it buddy!

I talked to Aaron back in August and he wasn’t taking any new work. His work is certainly worth waiting for, however. Incredible blend of art and technical prowess.
I emailed Aaron a couple weeks ago. No response.

@Bullthrower338 If you are just sending out 375's I'll take two please:A Stirring:

Most gunsmiths that work a lathe and do barrels will have no problem timing the rib back to the top, if you don't hear from aaron (my understanding is he is super busy) you might want to reach out to SSK industries.

In addition to timing the barrel the contour of the barrel will no longer match the rib nor will the two rib alignment pins be reinstallable. Neither is an insurmountable obstacle but they are additional task.

FYI - SSK is saying there is not enough set-back space....re-barrel is needed.

Rifle is heading to SSK tomorrow. Thanks for the tip Dave!

They will install a new barrel and swap over the rib, front sight and barrel band from the factory.

Seeing as this is a controlled round feed with no mag length restrictions (lol), I am asking them to throat it a little bit long. Sending a dummy round with the rifle to let them know what I want.

Long, rimmed cartridges in a falling block (or break-action) just seems right.

Now I just have to decide if I want to convert my belted Super 30 to a Flanged. Tempting....but probably not.

@tarbe ,

View attachment 499166
That what I was thinking about. A smith wouldn’t set the barrel back that far and you have to change the ejector.seems like a lot of work. Also the belt could be as much as 532.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.