Ninyi hamjambo! I'm from Nebraska, and I'd like to ask a few questions.

Thanks for the idea! this school might actually work for me, I'm gonna be sending an inquiry to them soon enough.
You are only young once. My advice - follow your dreams when you don’t have a lot of other commitments and responsibilities and can afford the risk more easily. If it doesn’t work you go back to a more traditional career. At least you won’t be sitting around for the next 20 years wondering what if

You are only young once. My advice - follow your dreams when you don’t have a lot of other commitments and responsibilities and can afford the risk more easily. If it doesn’t work you go back to a more traditional career. At least you won’t be sitting around for the next 20 years wondering what if
That is exactly what I've been thinking. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to AH.

For some past threads on the subject.
Punch this into Google
"professional hunting school site:africahunting.com"
"ph school site:africahunting.com"

Thanks for the idea! this school might actually work for me, I'm gonna be sending an inquiry to them soon enough.
That 7 month school might just be a good introduction. However, it will not get you hired anywhere else outside of RSA. And even that might not be possible due to citizenship/residency requirements.

I had the pleasure of chatting with a PH who headed the Zimbabwe PH examination board for a number of years during my last hunt. I was curious about the process.

In Zimbabwe each year about 400 people take the preliminary exam for PH, and each year about 4-5 people come out the other end of the 4-5 year process as unrestricted PHs. A very narrow funnel. It is by design as one is not guiding hunters at a PG farm, but in actual DG hunts so the PH has to be proficient and safe.

Other than the preliminary, marksmanship tests then you have proficiency tests where one is tested on fauna and flora. One has to actually organize and run a hunting camp for a "client" as part of the process. Each learner PH has to have a logbook showing involvement in actual hunts 6-7 each of leopard/lion/elephant/buffalo etc.. As a final, one has to do an approach within 10 yards or so of a tuskless to give his client a frontal brain shot, if not the client then the designated backup etc..

One passes everything then one will get an unrestricted license.

Welcome to AH!!!

It's ironic that young bucks in the U.S. dream of going to Afirca and the young bucks in RSA dream of coming to the U.S. I've met a few of the RSA ones at Tambo on their way to the U.S. Most had jobs awaiting them on farms in the midwest. With those that were coming for the first time, I could sense their excitement and nervousness. Myself and my hunting partner always gave them words of encouragement and support.

ning everything I can about hunting, the outdoors, conservation and animal biology. I've watched many documentaries and read many books about both western hunting as well as African hunting. Books such as "Death in the Long Grass", "Horn of the Hunter", "American Bison", "Comfort Crisis", "The Naturalist", etc. have given me an amazing look into different hunting and some of the important people in conservation.
- How does one become a PH?
- Can you apprentice as a PH?
- What are some of the less talked about things to expect?
- Do I have to/should I go to one of the wildlife schools in Africa?
- Are there any outfitters out there that can tell me what they generally look for in a PH candidate?
- What kind of room is there to grow a career?
- How hard is it to get a spot as a PH with an outfitter?
- How/where to apply?

I'm sure there are more things I would like to ask but haven't come to my head currently. Thanks for any help.

P.S. If anyone needs help with firearm related questions I'm sure I can help (unless it's about shotguns).
Hello Hunter M,

I was as a young guy in the same situation as you and wanted to become a PH in Africa,
when I met a German who had been kicked out of the country by Julius Nyreres (president of Tanzania)men for racism. Back in the 70s, the heyday of the Black Power movements, you as a white man had to pack your bags within 48 hours if you even suggested to a black man that he do something more for his money than he had been doing up to then.Your black employee only had to complain about you to the union, or the party and in no time your fate was sealed there.
His name was Ingo Berkenheger and guided in Ikoma territory, then he went to Scotland and talked me out of my future plans with the words "Boy, it was already over when I started".
Today I can only disagree with him: Are lions, buffalos and elephants not still being hunted in Africa? In addition, many professions have bleak future prospects and yet they are still being taken up.
At the weekend I read the article of a young German who dreamed of becoming a guide in Canada and became one.He started as a wrangler without any idea of horses,try and error :)
In BC you can also become a guide -as apparently the only province there- without being a permanent resident.
I advise you as an older person, if you don't have a wife with children , follow your dreams and let us hear from you in two years how it went for you.

Greetings from Munich and a welcome in the best forum
Foxi

Welcome to AH, best wishes, it takes a lot of effort to make it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAr

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!