Next years meat

well, then you have to pay to have them butchered and packaged. still isn't a lot of money. about 250 USD for 1 each of a lamb and goat, plus slaughtering/butchering.

now these are the culls, not grand champions/reserve grand champions or any of the animals that were in contention for that.

the 4H and FFA kids really do a lot of work trying to get these animals in great show condition - they're generally handfed with yogurt and sorghum and so forth.
Fed high power show feed

Oh yea. During the hog slaughter plant debacle I bought 50 prime hogs and still working through the last of those. We had to make a temporary hog pen and butcher 10 at a time.
View attachment 426598
We raise a few crossbreed steers on the side;) Butcherd 5 several months back to share with family and employees. With the beef market so heavily influenced by the Angus program, we'll cut out the salt and pepper ones or ones with too much white. Ours are all 50% Holstein and the results of our lower genetic cows being bred to Angus as a more profitable option for surplus cattle we don't need as replacements.
View attachment 426595View attachment 426597View attachment 426592View attachment 426593View attachment 426594
What year?

What does a person do deliver a calf? JW
At least with humams there is no need to rope and twitch. hated doing that to both the calf andf the cow but failing getting a vet from a long distance away it was that or loose them both.

We had Charolais bulls on mixed bred longhorn cattle for a very long time and very rarely had any trouble. Always heard beefmaster and simmental bulls are a no no on smaller breeds but I know someone who has a beefmaster bull on smaller bred cows and hasn’t had a problem yet
Think most of it is gene tested Including calf weight now days, knew a guy who was amongst the first to bring Charolais and limousine into Australia. When he looked at the animals in France he could tell there age by counting C-section scars, expensive well bred animals that turned out to be their culls due to calving issues. I found a way around calving problems by using a Bazadais bull. They come out like lamb, hit six weeks and grow like weeds.

I did not know they needed help to have a calf. I thought nature just took its course.
This was back in the early 60's when things were more inclined to just happen without the approach taken today. Most times they would have no trouble and just calve as nature took its course but occasionally there was a problem with one and they needed a bit of help. Same as for the sheep in our high intensity farming back then when every animals that could reproduce was assisted if need be but then wisdom took hold and anything that needed assistance was marked and culled from the heard or mob. It gradually became an easy care situation where there were far fewer needing assistance and a once a day check was all that was needed at calving/lambing time.
I grew up on farms and worked on them for a couple of years after leaving school and that was at the tail end of the former way and the start of the new. Always a pleasure to see a difficult delivery through to healthy new member, but it really was do the delivery and get on with the day.

@Bearbait1
How could you eat those? They look like pets, something you keep around the house because mini cows are cool.

I use Kosher salt, cracked pepper, and grilled 4-1/2 minutes on a side. :D

I wont show that pic to my wife as she has a real thing for the highland cattle.
Funny story. About a year ago, one of the big ranchers was having a problem with his wife "letting go" of their Black Angus when it was time to send them to market. He showed her a photo of the Highland calves, and like your wife, she was enthralled. So he bought two calves; one from my herd and one from my buddy's herd and took them home to her.

Now that she has the Highlands to spoil, she no longer cares about "those dirty old Angus" being shipped off to the sale barn. The Angus are commodities and the Highland have become her pets. Problem solved! (At least until the Highlands get a bit older).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg