Next years meat

During the war, my mother got a piglet (it was a hungry time). And he, alas, grew up as a member of the family. My mother remembered how they went to the pier to meet father, who had come from the front on vacation - the youngest daughter was in her arms, two more children were next, a cat was running behind, and a pig was running. They could not kill him, they sold him to a distant village. As I understand it, it is necessary not to get close to animals, and, most importantly, not to give them names. They are still not humans, and, by the way, their relations with each other are far from humanism.

In general, "to kill a boar" is a small village holiday. Such German bayonets were especially appreciated. As I understand it, local residents were involved in cleaning the places of battles, and if weapons, helmets, etc.were usually handed over, then knives were left on the farm:
20210926_115658.jpg

Last edited:
@Von Gruff
Nice collection of knives.
Your skinning knife is similar style to that I mentioned.

I have found some of the commercial Skinner's are a little unwieldy for me. The Skinner's seem to be deep in the Belly and have a large up-sweep.

Yours or the Mini Skinner would probably do all a hunter or home kill butcher might need. .

During the war, my mother got a piglet (it was a hungry time). And he, alas, grew up as a member of the family. My mother remembered how they went to the pier to meet father, who had come from the front on vacation - the youngest daughter was in her arms, two more children were next, a cat was running behind, and a pig was running. They could not kill him, they sold him to a distant village. As I understand it, it is necessary not to get close to animals, and, most importantly, not to give them names. They are still not humans, and, by the way, their relations with each other are far from humanism.

In general, "to kill a boar" is a small village holiday. Such German bayonets were especially appreciated. As I understand it, local residents were involved in cleaning the places of battles, and if weapons, helmets, etc.were usually handed over, then knives were left on the farm:
View attachment 426628
There were a lot of the British bayonets used here for pig sticking in the early days Vashper. My uncle hadone welded to a length of pipe and used it like a push spear to kill pigs (wild ones hunted with dogs) The scabbard would stay on the bayonet so the "spear' was a walking stick untill the dogs got onto a bailed up a pig then the scabbard came of and the sticking would be done.

@Vashper Im assuming the war to which you refer is World War Two?
Oh, I'm sorry. Yes, this is a common figure of speech for us to denote the time, pre-war and post-war. This means the 2nd world war. Of course, it was a long time ago, although it depends on how you look at it. Here, a friend just two weeks ago went to the forest for mushrooms, 100 miles from Moscow:
IMG-20210912-WA0003.jpg

Having a basic setup to break beef from quarters to packages, I have found a system that works for me is to let a farmer/rancher raise an animal for me then when it's time to convert it to meat we have an arrangement for splitting the meat. So while I don't actually raise the animals, the freezer looks the same.
A bit similar to my situation, I have no space to raise any livestock myself, but my brother, parents, grandparents and other family members do, so every now and then a cow or pig (elevated seperately from the mass) slaughtered and each 'buys' a quarter, or an eight of an animal.

Our freezer is usually full with pork, beef, chicken, turkey, and of course some game, deer, roe deer, wild boar, hares and pheasants!

Oh, I'm sorry. Yes, this is a common figure of speech for us to denote the time, pre-war and post-war. This means the 2nd world war. Of course, it was a long time ago, although it depends on how you look at it. Here, a friend just two weeks ago went to the forest for mushrooms, 100 miles from Moscow:View attachment 426725
I find pictures like this very interesting, just a few years ago, I saw a picture of children playing in an abandoned tank in North Africa.

There was such a writer - Leo Tolstoy, by the way - a hunter, and he had a brother Nikolai, also a hunter and a writer. Unfortunately, he wrote little. He has a story about hunting wild boars in the Kuban. This is an area and a fairly large river in the south of Russia, in its valley there are thickets of reeds and many wild boars. So the main hunter there used a bayonet from a Berdan-2 rifle on a long shaft. However, I have never seen such a bayonet used for slaughtering pigs or hunting wild boars, for example from Mosin. Long knives or knife-like bayonets were always used. I even saw an Austrian bayonet from the First World War.
There are those who like to hunt wild boar with dogs and a knife - I am not one of them.
And the rams in our region are kept mainly by southern guest workers, they cut the rams in a special way (like Muslims)

Dad and I raise about 400 head of feeder cattle per year. Most head for a big slaughter plant, but some are sold as whole, half, or quarter for private butcher. Farm hand gets a half a beef processed each year as part of his compensation. In my basement, the are 3 BIG freezers, plus another at my folks house. And they're all full. Growing up, I didn't understand that a steak was a big deal. We ate it all the time.

To this day, I look forward to when we are having cattle butchered. The local butcher/locker we use is one of the last in Illinois to still do on the farm butchering. They roll in with a reefer truck, pull a rifle out, shoot it in the head, and break the carcass down into halves in the barnyard. Then the beef goes back to hang for at least 14 days.
20171002_185030.jpg

There are a few of them in a paddock when we go into the city so she gets to enjoy them each trip. wit calving time being a real treat for her and then watching them play as they grow on.
There are a couple of them that live not far from me as well. I drive really slow past them. :giggle:

View attachment 426717
My 2 as calves, both are ripe now but I have to wait for cold weather to butcher one.

There are a few of them in a paddock when we go into the city so she gets to enjoy them each trip. wit calving time being a real treat for her and then watching them play as they grow on.
There are a couple of them that live not far from me as well. I drive really slow past them. :giggle:

@Bearbait1
How could you eat those? They look like pets, something you keep around the house because mini cows are cool.

I like steak, I like meat but I also like pets.

A friend of mine was telling me that his dad started breeding a small herd of cattle for a private label beef group. Their slogan is: "We handle everything from conception to consumption." Gotta love it!

I don't have any livestock, living in the city as I do. But I will be buying probably a lamb and goat at the livestock auction after our livestock show and rodeo in February. If you buy the ones that didn't make it to the final rounds, usually you can get them for about 2 USD on the hoof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg