New to big bore educate me on 500 Jeffery

ktk120

AH veteran
Reaction score
I been looking over things here for awhile but finally joined. I recently acquired 2 whitworths, a 458 and a 375. Haven't even gathered all the components to load and shoot them yet. That said this big bore thing has hit me hard.

I been reading through the info on the 500J. I dont have deep enough pockets to go after any of those high end rigs. That said if I wanted one what is the best route to go? Is a CZ550 a rebarrel and some follower/feeding work? Chances are slim I will ever go to Africa with any of these. Texas hogs and just to have it kind of thing.

It seems that brass and dies are now a problem for this?

Any help is appreciated

500 Jeff is the most devestatingly effective rifle for DG....
I would personally look around for a ZKK602 Magnum action or donor rifle and build from there. Some will say it is the same action as a CZ550 trust me it is not......
Make sure you use a competent gunsmith who knows what he is doing.
Mag follower has to be machined to correct spec. Mag inside needs to be changed, rails and feeding ramp and you are sorted. End weight should be about 11 5 lbs. 24 inch barrel....
I would recommend a laminated stock not ckassic but a lot stronger and more stable than a fancy walnut job....
Then you have a 4 shot hammer for anything you could dream about dropping...standing, coming or going....

Thank you for the info. Is there a host caliber gun that is easier to work with or stock needs little or nothing change? Like 458 for example? A CZ550 can work though correct?

550 can work but a lot more needs to be done....unless you find one in 500 Jeff...
ZKK602 is my suggestion if it comes with a pop up peep sight all the better...
Mitigating recoil has all to do with balance, weight and stock fit....period.
500 calibers that do not conform will punish you...end of story.
So I would get a Zkk602, sell all except the action and have it built to the right spec.

makes sense. I think the larger issue is in the US at least I have never once seen a 602. Even gbroker does not have many if any recent. Maybe that's more available outside US?

I am not certain if they are still in production or could be ordered, but Sako made the 85 Brown Bear in 500J and you were able to find them betweein $2k-3k USD. From what I have read they were solid rifles, but I have no hands-on experience of my own.

I would personally look around for a ZKK602 Magnum action or donor rifle and build from there. Some will say it is the same action as a CZ550 trust me it is not......
Mag follower has to be machined to correct spec. Mag inside needs to be changed, rails and feeding ramp and you are sorted. End weight should be about 11 5 lbs. 24 inch barrel....
I would recommend a laminated stock not ckassic but a lot stronger and more stable than a fancy walnut job....
Then you have a 4 shot hammer for anything you could dream about dropping...standing, coming or going....
I will put blue whales on notice

I been looking over things here for awhile but finally joined. I recently acquired 2 whitworths, a 458 and a 375. Haven't even gathered all the components to load and shoot them yet. That said this big bore thing has hit me hard.

I been reading through the info on the 500J. I dont have deep enough pockets to go after any of those high end rigs. That said if I wanted one what is the best route to go? Is a CZ550 a rebarrel and some follower/feeding work? Chances are slim I will ever go to Africa with any of these. Texas hogs and just to have it kind of thing.

It seems that brass and dies are now a problem for this?

Any help is appreciated
Used on Texas hogs, no matter how big, the beast won't require any dressing, just several bags for the mincemeat. Post pics pls.

I am not certain if they are still in production or could be ordered, but Sako made the 85 Brown Bear in 500J and you were able to find them betweein $2k-3k USD. From what I have read they were solid rifles, but I have no hands-on experience of my own.
The Model 85 Brown Bear is no longer in production from what I have been told. Recoil is pretty lively in the 500 Jeffery chambering as they are fairly lightweight for the calibre

The Model 85 Brown Bear is no longer in production from what I have been told. Recoil is pretty lively in the 500 Jeffery chambering as they are fairly lightweight for the calibre
I believe you are right. I had one in 416 Rigby, and with that narrow, hard recoil pad, I can only imagine a 500J in the same rifle would be absolutely brutal to shoot. Maybe with a good recoil pad, and correct LOP it would be better, but it would still probably need some weight added.

@ktk120 You made good choices on the Whitworths, as there is a lot of value in them for not too much money. I agree with the advice on the 602, but haven't found one over here for quite some time. It is not a satisfactory choice for a Ruger No. 1, so you will probably find that the 550 is the only quick solution. You could rechamber the 458 to the Lott, and probably have all the power you would ever need........but not all that you could want. Might find a 505 ready to go.......best of luck with your search...................FWB

Granite Mountain Arms action would be a good starting point for a custom 500 Jeff, or any other rifle for that matter.

1677721708714.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 8.59.13 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 8.59.13 AM Large.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 56
550 can work but a lot more needs to be done....unless you find one in 500 Jeff...
ZKK602 is my suggestion if it comes with a pop up peep sight all the better...
Mitigating recoil has all to do with balance, weight and stock fit....period.
500 calibers that do not conform will punish you...end of story.
So I would get a Zkk602, sell all except the action and have it built to the right spec.
@IvW What is the difference in the 550 action vs 602? What additional work is involved in a 550 conversion to 500J vs on a 602? 602 is going to prove a challenge to find I think.

Thank you for the info. Is there a host caliber gun that is easier to work with or stock needs little or nothing change? Like 458 for example? A CZ550 can work though correct?

Absolutely! My CZ 550 needed the magazine follower machined to fit the fatter 500 J cartridge which I think cost me $50. I'm guessing the follower on my rifle was the same they use for the 416 Rigby which was too narrow. Other than that it feeds/extracts flawlessly and is extremely accurate. The action is as solid as a bank vault. I sent mine to Wayne at AHR to have a 3 pos Model 70 safety put on, single stage match trigger (mine is set to 3 lbs) and straighten and fill the bolt. Matrix gunsmithing has taken over that work from Wayne. I'm sure they could machine the magazine follower as well.

full

Three shot group at 50 yards.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful looking rifle. I hope that scope has plenty of eye relief.

Welcome aboard KTK120. BRNO ZKK 602(s) are uncommon in the States. HOWEVER, they are available. It took me several years to find mine. Patience is the key here.

Thanks for all this info this helps tremendously.

Does anyone know if the CZ550 in 300 win mag is the same action length as say 375 or 458? As far as starting with a donor rifle?

Completely agree. Just saw one sell at 10.3 pounds and I can guarantee the new buyer it will “get his attention” with the recoil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TristanD43

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!