New rifle.. what?

Photos as full image:
cutting.jpg
forging.jpg

Looks like a couple of hats to me! Popcorn heating up yet?:LOL::LOL:
Or... depending on how you look at the "hats", they could be a well, uh, say lady like appendages in the downward position?! Say! Is that a Rorschach test?:rolleyes::p

Bruce, curious as to your thoughts on polygonaly rifled barrels. Nothing new as it traces its roots back to british muzzle loading sniper rifles. However, I have two black hole rifleworks barrels right now that are insanely accurate and clean up much much more quickly than standard barrels. I really wonder if the reduced friction of this system will result in longer barrel life.

I’ve been playing with some polygonally rifled barrels. They clean much more quickly due to reduced fouling. I wonder if the reduced friction will result in longer life.
My Glock pistols have polygonal rifled barrels. Whether that design is better, don’t know? I DO know when I sent my Glock 22 back to their factory for a repair (FREE), the technician stated I have had many thousands (maybe tens of) of rounds through it and the barrel was fine. I also know I’ve shot a lot of 220gr hard cast bullets through my Glock 10mm with little fouling and no issues. Good enough for me!

Bruce, curious as to your thoughts on polygonaly rifled barrels

I really wonder if the reduced friction of this system will result in longer barrel life.

I wonder the same.
In modern rifle productions, Italian Sabatti makes multi radial rifling, very similar to polygonal, reduced friction, less pressures, better velocity. I dont know of any other maker doing somethin similar, in standard production.

polygonal barrels are definitely easier to clean due to being able to get at the total surface easier with brushes and patches on jags.
they could outlast grooved barrels, as the sharp male corners of conventional rifling will be more subject to heat and therefore erosion than a polygon, which only has female corners.
studying barrels with a borescope over time clearly shows what happens with the removal of metal, the crazing, and then the cracking until it looks like the dried mud in an empty dam.
while this is happening, freebore increases.
sometimes if you rechamber early enough you can extend the useful life of a barrel, but the economics are questionable.
you really have to look at barrels like powder and bullets.
when they are gone they are gone and you replace them.
that said, hunting is kind to barrels compared to fclass or benchrest.
looking at the theoretical drawings of different rifling types, you have to realize that the first part to go is the corneres of the bore diameter rather than any of the groove diameter.
bruce.

just another thought.
when the 303 was loaded with cordite, barrel life was compromised compared to more modern powders.
it was a very erosive propellant.
I had a rigby 450 nitro, which you would assume had not fired a lot of shots.
yet the throat of the right barrel was noticeably more eroded than the left.
it was made early 1900s, so would have fired mostly cordite ammo.
either that, or its original owner shot a power of tigers.
if that were the case it must have been a wonderful stopper, hardly ever requiring a left barrel.
bruce.

Illustrations, multi-radial rifling, as similar for polygonal.

sabatti mrr.jpg
Sabatti-MRR-23-660x266.jpg

when the 303 was loaded with cordite, barrel life was compromised compared to more modern powders.

Its true, but basic erosive type cordite was discontinued by ww-1, exactly fot the reason of corrosiveness. However we cannot say, for how much was on stock to be used in small arms in ww1.

Peace-time stock, could be used, quite fast if there was.....

Last edited:
That’s what I heard!
I also read when someone asked a gunsmith what is the “Usable “ life of a barrel he said “Ohh, about a few seconds”

No!
Previous thread said no under your quote around premature ignition. At 1.5 pound.
Enroute to Africa, Sydney stopover

I would highly recommend a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum , with a super grade stock . My clients used to bring them for shikar to Nagpur and l have never seen even 1 give it's operator the slightest excuse to complain.
Just be sure to have the stock re bedded with something strong , like fiber glass .
Also , reinforce the stock with cross bolts , because they will eventually split if you do not . Adding a 2nd recoil lug is also a good thing to do .

The modern Winchester Model 70 with a control round feed design will work equally well ( if not better ) .
Good , American made , working man's rifles that leave very little to be desired .
PS : If you can get your hands on a heavy barrel version , then do not miss the opportunity. You will not regret it .

Last edited:
With a .375 Holland and Holland magnum calibre bolt operation rifle , one simply cannot go wrong . A model 70 rifle from the firm , Winchester is simply the best off-the-shelf rifle in this calibre , in my humble opinion .
If l were to name my favorite .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre bolt operation rifle , then it would have to be one which is built on the French Brevex magnum mauser mechanism . I consider it one of the finest rifle " actions " of all time . Unfortunately , they are most rare . I have only ever seen one in my career as a professional Shikari . If you ever come across one for sale , snatch it immediately . You will not regret your decision .
On a related subject , l used to think that the model 70 rifles from the firm , Winchester were made in New Haven . Did they switch factories in recent years ?

You can't go wrong with the Winchester Mod 70 safari express in 375 H&H. Don't be concerned about the assembly in Portugal. I have Mod 70 in 375 and 300 winmag and both perform as well as my pre-1064 Mod 70 30.06.

Winchester was purchased by browning, the shoguns I believe are made in Japan, and the M70’s are made by FN in South Carolina, or Portugal. I think most come from Portugal now.
"the SHOGUNS I believe are made in Japan" Weren't they always? LOL.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::whistle::D:eek::rolleyes:o_Oo_O

"the SHOGUNS I believe are made in Japan" Weren't they always? LOL.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::whistle::D:eek::rolleyes:o_Oo_O
Well, it’s “Sho Gun”. They were made in Japan and were used by the Samurai after black powder was invented and they gave up their swords. Maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiloHardem

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross