New member - No safari experience

Welcome to AH. You will feel right at home here. You have some awesome rifles that can certainly get the job done when you get to Africa. Most of us got our "start" hunting deer. Where I live it is about the largest thing that is available. There are lots of reloaders around, do you mind sharing the reduced loads you use for deer hunting?

Welcome to AH !

Welcome aboard!

What is your budget?

For a great mid priced scope I suggest a Leopold VX 6 firedot 4. Great glass for the money. Trijicon has some nice options as well. Get something that goes down to 1 or 1.5 x for that close in elephant, buffalo, and lion hunt, and an illuminated reticle for the Leopard, and at least 4 power but up to 6 will let you dial up plenty of power for a longer shot at Plains Game. For half the money you can get a Leopold VXR 1-4.

Thanks ActionBob. I don't really have a specific budget. Normally I just see what i like and if I feel it's too much then I go lower. I've got some Leupold optics and find some good and some average. I use Swaros on some of my rifles. I have been looking at Trijicon for the 404 but couldn't really decide on one. Obviously need one with a decent amount of eye relief. Im a small guy and the rifles move me about a bit. I was considering a Schmidt and Bender but I have no experience with these, and where I live I am unable to view any. So I would have to buy blind.

As for reduced loads, all I use is Trail Boss with cast projectiles and keep the shots within 100m. They work a charm on fallow.

Thanks ActionBob. I don't really have a specific budget. Normally I just see what i like and if I feel it's too much then I go lower. I've got some Leupold optics and find some good and some average. I use Swaros on some of my rifles. I have been looking at Trijicon for the 404 but couldn't really decide on one. Obviously need one with a decent amount of eye relief. Im a small guy and the rifles move me about a bit. I was considering a Schmidt and Bender but I have no experience with these, and where I live I am unable to view any. So I would have to buy blind.

As for reduced loads, all I use is Trail Boss with cast projectiles and keep the shots within 100m. They work a charm on fallow.
I have one of the older model Trijicon's in 1-4x24 with the green triangle on my CZ 505 Gibbs. Very fast scope, like a red dot, but I find the triangle to be more challenging to be real spot on accurate with it. Doing it over again I might go to a different reticle, but I think it is a great scope. Had it on my M70 416 rem mage for elephant and buffalo, then put it on the 505 and used it for another buff.

Also have a Ruger RSM in 505 Gibbs and went with a Leupold VX3 1.5-5 x 20 because with the RSM I wanted to keep the mounting low. And although the Trijicon slapped a couple friends, I've never been hit by a scope yet... Hope that good luck continues;)

Of course a lower powered Swaro would look great on that 404 also.... BTW, I sure like the look of that gun:)

Welcome MAH...I enjoyed you rifle pics, but they are backward for some reason!!!!!! Now that you have met ActionBob, you will do well IMO. He has turned into a rifle guru during the few years I have known him. He is one of the few people on this forum where if they post, I read it, regardless of what the subject is. But don't tell him I told you that!

Welcome MAH. Good to see another Aussie. Nice firearms, I am a bit of a Weatherby fan myself.
Be prepared to get addicted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeanna9950

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.