New guy planning for 2024

AuthorBrian

Reaction score
Website
www.brianhousebooks.com
Hunted
Zimbabwe
I hunted Zimbabwe back in 96’ with Russ Broom. Took a nice buffalo. Life got in the way but now I have the time to go back in 2024. I’m looking for recommendations for a quality fair chase plains game hunt (didn’t get kudu or gemsbok in 96’). Reliable outfitter with a proven track record is a must. Open to any country. Will be accompanied by my wife.
Thanks!

CMS at Nyakasanga, Zimbabwe. Here is a picture of the Kudu I got there last August in addition to elephant, buffalo, hyena, zebra, warthog and gemsbuck. Same area also have plenty of tuskless elephants and buffalo and other plains game. They are one of the most reliable outfitters around and were SCI outfitter of the year a couple of years ago. http://www.cmsafaris.com

1687610408065.jpeg

Check out Cloete & West Safari if you want a great hunting experience. If your wife is going then tell Deon and let his wife put together something that will make her experience special. My wife went with me last year to Tanzania and we took a trip into the Serengeti. It was an experience of a lifetime and one she nor I will ever forget. We are going back next year to celebrate our 65th and 75th birthdays.

The guys at Cloete & West represent a group of young PH's that are more about the experience of the hunt. They are very good at it.

These are some great recommendations. I personally really want to hunt Nyakasanga. The camp looks absolutely stunning and it is unique in having good PG and DG numbers on the river.

For kudu and gemsbok you may want to check out Ghanzi, Botswana. Werner Lombard is running Bokamoso now. I’ve hunted with Werner twice. He’s the real deal. I also hear great things about Jaco at NKWE.

Namibia could be an option but be sure to check on specifics on the recovery of kudu where you would be going. They got hit particularly hard and the older age class animals may still be rebuilding in some areas.

How many days are you planning? Does your wife hunt? If not will she go out with you? (I hope so!) Are you looking to do anything other than hunt? Does your wife want to do anything else?

CMS at Nyakasanga, Zimbabwe. Here is a picture of the Kudu I got there last August in addition to elephant, buffalo, hyena, zebra, warthog and gemsbuck. Same area also have plenty of tuskless elephants and buffalo and other plains game. They are one of the most reliable outfitters around and were SCI outfitter of the year a couple of years ago. http://www.cmsafaris.com
Did you write that correctly? Gemsbok in Nyakasanga?

:S Welcome:

I would look into Jamy Traut Safaris in Namibia for a plains game hunt. They have long term leases in several areas of the country. Kaokoland in NW Namibia has been by favorite area to hunt. It’s vast and almost no people, very little difference from 100 years ago. I saw wild lions and elephants as well and leopard sign everywhere. Kudu are not affected by rabies here but also not nearly as densely populated as the ranch land. They also have areas in Caprivi, Kalahari, and more central Namibia. I’ve gone later season both trips and the flexibility to move camps and see new areas is a major advantage to me.
I highly recommend Charlton McCallum safaris (CMS) in Zimbabwe too. They just got a new area in Southern Zimbabwe they are marketing for plains game now. Most of their areas are dangerous game focused. They have some great PHs working for them and have great camps. The organization of the hunt is perfect as well both during planning and after the hunt.

If you wife is going and wants to do some sightseeing. I think Namibia (or maybe Botswana) is the best location for you if you want to do a plains game hunt. Huge properties and low human population so the country doesn’t feel crowed at all. But still lots of tourist activities within driving distance. South Africa feels very crowded too me at times.

Welcome to AH Author Brian. Also consider Dalton McClintock who hunts out of Save mostly, in association with Makore.

10- 14 days with days for sightseeing as well. She does not hunt but will be with me.
If it fits your budget and you like perfect beaches... 3 days to a week at Kendwa Rocks on Zanzibar. I have a managers contact somewhere I think.... do day trips to Prison Island, Stone Town, the Park. If you like night life, go during the full moon party they throw. Then hunt PG in Maasai Land between 8-16 days. If 16 add a leopard. Then a week touring the parks up there;)

Greeting AuthorBrian,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I’m curious about your screen name.
If you’ve authored something / some things, let us know when you get around to it.
Personally, I very much enjoy reading, especially in regards to hunting and fishing related subject matter.

Also when you get around to it, have a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.
The kudu up in the Khomas Hochland Highlands evidently avoided the rabies outbreak of not many years ago.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

What's your budget? Some of these suggestions can be rather pricey for just kudu and gemsbuck. If you pick something in Eastern Cape there's usually lots for tours, etc. that are of interest for the ladies if your wife is not into watching stuff die.

Are you more inclined to 5-star comfort or staying as guest with a farmer's family. I found the latter to be more enjoyable ... but most would probably class me as "atypical." :D

Hi AuthorBrian
We can absolutely help with Kudu and Gemsbok here in Botswana. We have some of the best kudu hunting in Africa. You can read our latest report.

Welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronCarus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.