New from Sunshine Coast Queensland

Do you have any photos of the 458JSE? I couldn't find any references to it or information about it.
I'm not surprised - I think the reamer has cut 10 or 11 chambers and they're all in Australia.
For those who haven't heard the history of this epic little Wildcat cartridge:
After the market failure of the Winchester WSSM range a lot of really cheap rifles came on the market in the late naughties. Joe, Carl and Evan (JCE) got together and designed the 458JCE based on the WSSM action. We originally wanted to bring into Australia a B&M Reamer but we couldn't get one. So Joe drew up the design and had a Reamer made (now held by Anthony in the Northern Territory) and I organised some custom Die sets from CH4D and Hornady (I still have a set of each). The Juicer holds 2 more grains of water than the B&M case. The cartridge is made by cutting a WSM case off at the shoulder and necking it down to 458 the OAL of the cartridge is about the same as a 223REM - just a lot fatter. With a 250gr bullet and 50gr Hodgden Li'l Gun I get 2700fps out of a 20" barrel. I shoot 250gr Barnes and 270gr Atomic29 bullets and if I could get lighter bullets to maximise powder in the case I would. It's dynamite on pigs.
Photos are a 350gr North Fork recovered from a Buffalo, a boar shot in OCT with a 270gr Atomic29, compared with 223REM and 458 Lott, Atomic29s recovered from Boars (most exit)

07 Recovered 350gr SS.jpg
Boar with 458JCE.JPG
IMG_6038.JPG
270gr Atomic recovered from Boars a.JPG

Hi everyone, My mate GeoffB recommended AH to me and I'm glad to be here. I've hunted South Africa in the Northern Transvaal in 2006 and built a 458 Lott on my return to Australia with the intention of going back. But I got divorced instead and life got in the way. I look forward to hunting Africa vicariously through this forum. Thanks for having me.
I also live on the sunshine coast, you have got some beautiful rifles I often shoot at the SSAA range at north arm.

Hi rdog,
I think all of these exceed the calibre restrictions at North Arm? What do you shoot there?

Hi rdog,
I think all of these exceed the calibre restrictions at North Arm? What do you shoot there?
22 hornet all the way up to 350 rem mag all 26 rifles in total & a 9.3x62 & 318 Westley Richards in build, i think you may be able to use your rifles at the Imbel range these restrictions
are a lot of bureaucracy & BS.

Yes, I’ll be at the Wattle Grove range on Sunday to sight my 45-70 Bergara and my 458JCE with a 1-8x Nightforce. The 2.5-8x32 Zeiss Conquest failed (condensation on the objective lens) on my Cape York hunt in October.

458JCE, Thanks for the complete history of this unique round. I hope you and rdog get a chance to meet. You've probably already come to the conclusion that most AH members are pretty good "Blokes."

458JCE, Thanks for the complete history of this unique round. I hope you and rdog get a chance to meet. You've probably already come to the conclusion that most AH members are pretty good "Blokes."
Yep - I've found that most shooters are pretty good blokes - I owe a lot to GeoffB - he got me back into shooting after a hiatus while I had a family (2 boys and 2 girls) and he's an absolute walking encyclopedia of knowledge shooting/hunting/ballistics. I shot my first Red and Fallow deer under Geoff's tutelage. I'm 63 tomorrow and I think I now know enough to pass onto the next generation. Only my younger son, Tom, has shown interest in hunting and I took him to Cape York in October to take his first scrub Bull and his first Boar. He used his Sako 75 338WM and 225gr North Forks (the rifle I took to Africa in 2006).

20211003_094250_HDR.jpg
20211003_112543_HDR.jpg
225gr North Forks recovered from a Bull a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
458JCE I agree that most shooters are good blokes, I think you will find that AH members are the "cream of that crop." Congrats on getting your son into hunting. Been hunting with my sons for over 40 years, now I'm hunting with grandsons as well.

I hope things are back on track for you.

I've spoken to GeoffB , he was one of several enablers here who sent me down the .280ai path. Sending me a sample case really got my interest.

You never know what you might need to build after reading here.
@CBH Australia
Chris you might be able to get him to build a 35 Whelen
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Thanks Shootist43. Yes, I've used the Lott and the JCE on Asiatic Buffalo. Only last month I used 458 Lott (Custom Montana 1999), 458JCE (Wildcat built on Winchester M70 WSSM action), 9.3x74R (Sabatti DR), and 338WM (Sako 75) to take Scrub Bulls and Boars in Cape York. Hunt reports are my main interest and I will contribute there when I have the time. Here's a photo of the Sabatti, 458JCE and 458 Lott (hope this works - my first attempt at attaching a photo).

View attachment 434947
@458JCE
Maybe you could start by telling us about the 458JCE, it's an animal I ain't never heard of.
Welcome from the best state in Australia, NSW.
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

I'm not surprised - I think the reamer has cut 10 or 11 chambers and they're all in Australia.
For those who haven't heard the history of this epic little Wildcat cartridge:
After the market failure of the Winchester WSSM range a lot of really cheap rifles came on the market in the late naughties. Joe, Carl and Evan (JCE) got together and designed the 458JCE based on the WSSM action. We originally wanted to bring into Australia a B&M Reamer but we couldn't get one. So Joe drew up the design and had a Reamer made (now held by Anthony in the Northern Territory) and I organised some custom Die sets from CH4D and Hornady (I still have a set of each). The Juicer holds 2 more grains of water than the B&M case. The cartridge is made by cutting a WSM case off at the shoulder and necking it down to 458 the OAL of the cartridge is about the same as a 223REM - just a lot fatter. With a 250gr bullet and 50gr Hodgden Li'l Gun I get 2700fps out of a 20" barrel. I shoot 250gr Barnes and 270gr Atomic29 bullets and if I could get lighter bullets to maximise powder in the case I would. It's dynamite on pigs.
Photos are a 350gr North Fork recovered from a Buffalo, a boar shot in OCT with a 270gr Atomic29, compared with 223REM and 458 Lott, Atomic29s recovered from Boars (most exit)

View attachment 434988View attachment 434989View attachment 434990View attachment 434991
@458JCE
I hope you stocked up on Lilgun as it is no longer imported into Australia. Also try and get 2205 that's like rocking horse crap.
You may have to find a different powder to play with in it
Sorry to rain on your party.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen I will leave the preaching to you.

Perhaps there is an opening for a .35jce,

I don't think a .25 would feed, it's a stumpy little bugger.

Welcome 458JCE, I know you’ll have great success “ … hunting Africa vicariously thru this forum” as I see, quality members have sent their Greetings.

Nice collection of Big Bore smoke poles!

So, you’re return to Africa … I’m a ‘gangster’ @ dreaming up reasonings to convince the household banker - I need a return to Africa & stuck my 8th Map Pin this last Sept (screw COVID!). My advice: never to late, African can remain a Day Dream - unless - you buy an airline ticket & that Day Dream now has a Dead-line. Happy Trails …

Yep - I've found that most shooters are pretty good blokes - I owe a lot to GeoffB - he got me back into shooting after a hiatus while I had a family (2 boys and 2 girls) and he's an absolute walking encyclopedia of knowledge shooting/hunting/ballistics. I shot my first Red and Fallow deer under Geoff's tutelage. I'm 63 tomorrow and I think I now know enough to pass onto the next generation. Only my younger son, Tom, has shown interest in hunting and I took him to Cape York in October to take his first scrub Bull and his first Boar. He used his Sako 75 338WM and 225gr North Forks (the rifle I took to Africa in 2006).

View attachment 435030View attachment 435031View attachment 435032
@458JCE
Mate sounds like we have a bit in common. I was 63 in October and my son is now almost 17.
We did a family hunt in Namibia 2 years ago and had a ball. We are going ot the back of Tamworth on the 11th for a few days.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!