AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

Advocatus Diaboli

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
US
I'm reading "Man eaters of Kumanon" by Jim Corbett right now. The book is about his adventures in India hunting several tigers and leopards that preyed on humans. (Excellent read by the way). He came to the same conclusion in 1944 as the article, explaining that these big cats could no longer hunt their normal prey (due to injury or disease) so they were forced to choose between starvation/death or eating something relatively easy to kill, man... a choice and outcome not foreign to our own species.

PARA45

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Thanks for sharing, interesting read! I read the book when I was about 12 years old, and saw the movie also. I have the book, on my read pile, and it's next after I finish reading The Operator by Robert O'Neal.

MAdcox

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC; DSCOK
Hunted
Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
Thank you for posting the article.

It seems like I read an article or in a book that the reason the Tsavo Lions may have turned to man eating was they were conditioned to it. The article pointed out that much of the labor for building the railway was imported from India. The article stated that when a worker died they were more often than not left in the bush instead of being buried. This was believed to have taught the local carnivores that humans were an acceptable meal and that the transition from eating dead ones to hunting and killing live ones was the next logical step.

Just my 2 cents.
I read the same thing in Capsticks "Death in the Long Grass". The first chapter is about Patterson and these lions. Also mentions the Njombe maneaters. Capstick and Corbett both repeatedly claim that most (but not all) of the maneaters they were personally involved with were not sick or injured or old. They just figured out man was easier. A lot of the time they were conditioned by plagues or illness leaving a lot of dead people laying around the bush (or in this case dead railway workers not being buried) and figuring out the live ones weren't much harder to grab than the dead ones. Lets face it, without our knowledge of weapons, we aren't much trouble to African sized predators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitchel76S

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.