New checked bag rules at OR Tambo International Airport Johannesburg

I have the pelican suitcases and they are great but heavy. You’ll have to limit your packing a bit. I am using the heavy duty TSA locks now on my gun case. If they want in they’ll get in but at least they don’t have an excuse to leave my gun. Always a debate.
You are the only person that is supposed to have access to the gun case so I wouldn't recommend TSA locks of any quality or type except on the ammo box.

TSA locks are now allowed as an option on the gun case but I will continue to use my own locks and TSA locks on general luggage. BTW, I have used little TSA locks on the zipper of my large cordura duffle, but with the new rules I guess I will have to get some other bag now with one hard side:(:(. But wait!! I know!:rolleyes::rolleyes: I will fit a piece of plywood into the "bottom" of my duffle so it has one hard side, LOL.o_Oo_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TSA locks are now allowed as an option on the gun case but I will continue to use my own locks and TSA locks on general luggage. BTW, I have used little TSA locks on the zipper of my large cordura duffle, but with the new rules I guess I will have to get some other bag now with one hard side:(:(. But wait!! I know!:rolleyes::rolleyes: I will fit a piece of plywood into the "bottom" of my duffle so it has one hard side, LOL.o_Oo_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That’s what I’m planning on doing!!!

:E Happy: Reminds me of my cooler with the false bottom and two sixers of beer to get by the search party at the old Englishtown NJ dragstrip. Good thing that they didn't have xray machines.:E Rofl:

I was leaving Zim some years ago and had stashed two six packs of Amstel Lager in my duffle (cant get it here!). The Xray guys at Bulawayo got all confused about it and when I saw the commotion, I told them, "hey guys its some beer". They all started laughing and that was that.

I bought a Pelican 1510 to use when traveling with handguns. This was its first and only flight from Detroit to Anchorage. Both corners cracked past the gasket. I used a paint pen to try to make it more noticeable in the photos. I’ve got a warranty claim now. We’ll see what happens.
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG

Jeff 907, it will be interesting to find out how your warranty claim ends.
Best of luck with it!

@Jeff 907 That looks like there may have been an attempt to use a screwdriver or other tool to break open the case.

I bought a Pelican 1510 to use when traveling with handguns. This was its first and only flight from Detroit to Anchorage. Both corners cracked past the gasket. I used a paint pen to try to make it more noticeable in the photos. I’ve got a warranty claim now. We’ll see what happens.View attachment 293594View attachment 293595

I filed a claim with Pelican on my Rifle Case. Only pain was they DEMAND when you send them pictures with the claim number written on the damaged case you use a Gold metallic sharpie. Will not accept standard sharpie. Other than that, and save your foam inserts, they sent me a new case and the damaged one went to the dump. Pretty simple no-hassle policy other than the gold ink deal.

You are the only person that is supposed to have access to the gun case so I wouldn't recommend TSA locks of any quality or type except on the ammo box.
That’s been debunked here but to each his own.
Philip

Do you have any concern about using the TSA locks on the actual gun case? I accidentally used one last year on a trip, they called me within 10 minutes and I had to go change out the lock to a non-TSA lock.
Where did this happen? Of course the only thing consistent about air travel is that it’s inconsistent! I have used TSA locks more often than not on my 14 African trips and several others. My point has always been they have the right to inspect your bags and will do so. I’d rather them check the bag and it arrive in Africa than have them locked out or locks cut. The main mistake IMO is using key locks. You can’t send a key over the phone if you are separated from your bags but you can share the combo.
Lots of options and opinions.
Philip

Where did this happen? Of course the only thing consistent about air travel is that it’s inconsistent! I have used TSA locks more often than not on my 14 African trips and several others. My point has always been they have the right to inspect your bags and will do so. I’d rather them check the bag and it arrive in Africa than have them locked out or locks cut. The main mistake IMO is using key locks. You can’t send a key over the phone if you are separated from your bags but you can share the combo.
Lots of options and opinions.
Philip

On a flight out of Denver. I probably have close to 200 flights flying with a firearm, I really haven't had a ton of trouble over the years, mostly just jackass agents at the check-in counter.

On a flight out of Denver. I probably have close to 200 flights flying with a firearm, I really haven't had a ton of trouble over the years, mostly just jackass agents at the check-in counter.
Yep

That’s been debunked here but to each his own.
Philip
At all USA airports, you are to check-in with your rifle case at the airline counter. The airline agent has you sign the firearm card/slip that is then put inside your gun case. You are then taken to TSA where you hand the officer your key or combo for a non-TSA lock. While you stay behind but within sight, the TSA officer opens your case and does an inspection. The officer re-locks the case and gives you back the key or combo. The officer then puts a sticker on the case that shows it has been inspected and registers it on his clipboard paperwork and has you sign the clipboard paperwork. The officer then sends the case through a scanner machine and a porter takes your case back to the airline baggage room. After this inspection, there is no reason for the TSA to open your case without you and a non-TSA lock is much preferred. TSA officers in other airports can see and read the sticker on your gun case and look it up to see the paperwork without opening your case.

As for a separate locked ammo box that is locked with TSA locks, in about every place except, South Africa, it can go inside a suitcase. Never use a non-TSA lock on your ammo case. I did it once and almost missed my flight when the TSA tracked me down at my departure gate and had me go back with them to unlock my ammo case. They said to use a TSA lock on ammo case and a non-TSA lock on rifle case. That’s the procedure I’ve used for several years ever since.

If transferring through JNB, I use Bruce from Gracy Travel to cut to the front of all lines and I also reclaim my bags to remove the ammo case from my suitcase (and also because the JNB baggage room is a crap show) and then re-check my bags and the ammo case as a 3rd bag to my next flight destination. Airlink in South Africa requires the ammo case to be checked separately as well. This is why I avoid JNB and South Africa if I can.

Everyone here should was YT Lock Picking Lawyer before trusting a lock of any sort.

By the rules you can use any type of lock on your gun case though most recommend non-TSA locks. I want to be there when TSA opens the case, so I use non-TSA locks. I am also concerned with the TSA locks being opened when the gun case is stored overnight at a foreign airport.

I have the pelican suitcases and they are great but heavy. You’ll have to limit your packing a bit. I am using the heavy duty TSA locks now on my gun case. If they want in they’ll get in but at least they don’t have an excuse to leave my gun. Always a debate.
I have the Pelican gun case and just bought the 1650 suit case. Ready to go back!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg