New CBP form 4457 expiring 2020 - Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad

Thanks @Hogpatrol

I finally got it to work - and typed in my data and printed for two rifles.

The issue was my version of Adobe Acrobat. I downloaded and installed the current (free) version on my PC and all went smooth...

As a side note - if you have downloaded the 4457 pdf file, tinkered with it - and then saved - you may need to start over with a fresh download.
I save the original as downloaded then my edited 4457s with the file name: mylastname_4457_year . That way the original isn't changed and can be edited and used again. The edited version is sent to the rifle permitting agent.

Always use the latest expiration

2022 and for South Africa it needs to be dated within 6 months of the trip
Where did you read that it must be within 6 months? The rule has been the year of the hunt. Please advise!

Where did you read that it must be within 6 months? The rule has been the year of the hunt. Please advise!

Philip, I was talking to another member on here who had a hunt scheduled for this year 2021 and was working with Henry at Rifle Permits, and that is what he told me when I mentioned that I was thinking of getting my new 4457 this year instead of waiting until next year. He said that he would wait until 2022 to get his new 4457 when his hunt is rescheduled for.

He was going to get the 4457 at our local airport since we have a Customs office there but they are hard to get in to get paperwork done unless you are flying in.

I have seen nothing in writing on it nor have I actually checked into it.

Philip
I am using Henry with Riflepermits for my trip leaving this month. Henry advised as you stated. 4457 must be dated and signed in year of travel for hunt.

Philip, I was talking to another member on here who had a hunt scheduled for this year 2021 and was working with Henry at Rifle Permits, and that is what he told me when I mentioned that I was thinking of getting my new 4457 this year instead of waiting until next year. He said that he would wait until 2022 to get his new 4457 when his hunt is rescheduled for.

He was going to get the 4457 at our local airport since we have a Customs office there but they are hard to get in to get paperwork done unless you are flying in.

I have seen nothing in writing on it nor have I actually checked into it.
There was a rule change at SAPS a few years ago requiring the 4457 to be stamped and signed in the current year. Before that many of us kept our same 4457, provided we didn’t change rifles, from year to year.

WHAT! We need new 4457 forms? This is the first I've seen this. Our are last years, nothing change.
We op for the 'pre-auth' thru Go 2 Safari Concierge, Monique. And Last friday got the final paper work.
I will check with her to make sure all still good. What 'powers to be' are asking for 4457 done in last 6 months. We are flying United then Ethiopian. SEA-IAD-ADD-JNB

Add on to the above post, if taking QATAR or Airlink, they want typewritten forms, not handwritten ones.
I just flew Qatar three weeks out and returned a week ago and had no problem with my hand written ones. Must be difference in airports, I flew from Seattle to Joberg and back.

IF we got to get new 4457 forms, should I include my cell phone?
1 form for gun with scope. Another stuff, camera, bynokc...

IF we got to get new 4457 forms, should I include my cell phone?
1 form for gun with scope. Another stuff, camera, bynokc...

I always do that, list my rifle with it's scope on one form and then all the rest on another. But my all the rest only includes binoculars, and cameras and not my cell phone.

If it has a serial number it can be listed but they are just for proof that you owned it before leaving the US and returning. Some places higher end camera gear and optics are cheaper and you may have to pay a duty on them if you purchase them out of the country and bring them home.

I don't think that I would worry about a cell phone.

Phillip, I am going to correct myself. I think that I thought that it needed be withing 6 months just because my friend was planning on going over in June of this year and he said "this year"

Sometimes I confuse even myself.

I always do that, list my rifle with it's scope on one form and then all the rest on another. But my all the rest only includes binoculars, and cameras and not my cell phone.

If it has a serial number it can be listed but they are just for proof that you owned it before leaving the US and returning. Some places higher end camera gear and optics are cheaper and you may have to pay a duty on them if you purchase them out of the country and bring them home.

I don't think that I would worry about a cell phone.

Phillip, I am going to correct myself. I think that I thought that it needed be withing 6 months just because my friend was planning on going over in June of this year and he said "this year"

Sometimes I confuse even myself.
I understand but you nearly gave me heart failure! I've done mine for this year already.....
Its always a good discussion here so we can kick around ideas and help others out. AH has lots of knowledge here unlike FB!

I didn't know I had to do a 4457 for cameras & binoculars. When I went to SA back in 2010, I only had the form for my rifle and scope. Maybe I got lucky and no one asked for the other stuff, or this is a change?

I didn't know I had to do a 4457 for cameras & binoculars. When I went to SA back in 2010, I only had the form for my rifle and scope. Maybe I got lucky and no one asked for the other stuff, or this is a change?

We have never done one for binoculars and cameras

It isn't needed but it is suggested on the CBP site.

You never know when you might that one agent that is fresh on the line that will question them.

One nice thing is that once you get it done on your optics, cameras, and other items you are done dealing with it for those. Unlike your rifle where it seams like every couple of years there are new hoops to jump through.

Has anyone flown on Qatar recently where they required a TYPED version of the form 4457? Looking back on this thread it seems to have been an issue. I'm heading to Namibia (IAH - DOHA - JNB - WDH) in mid July. Went to get this signed at my closest CBP office and they screwed up my only typed copy with me and they reprinted a new but it is now handwritten.

Qatar has a copy of the handwritten 4457 as I emailed it to them several weeks ago already but no word on any problems. Should I expect an issue further down the road?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has traveled recently on Qatar and if they're being sticklers for the TYPED form. Thanks!

I have mine typed always. Not a big deal with Acrobat to edit the form to type in the information. Same with Zimbabwe rifle permits.

Now, Zimbabwe customs form is weird in that on top it states that all the information must be handwritten, so no typing it in for those.

Has anyone flown on Qatar recently where they required a TYPED version of the form 4457? Looking back on this thread it seems to have been an issue. I'm heading to Namibia (IAH - DOHA - JNB - WDH) in mid July. Went to get this signed at my closest CBP office and they screwed up my only typed copy with me and they reprinted a new but it is now handwritten.

Qatar has a copy of the handwritten 4457 as I emailed it to them several weeks ago already but no word on any problems. Should I expect an issue further down the road?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has traveled recently on Qatar and if they're being sticklers for the TYPED form. Thanks!
I was told they needed to be typed. They were and no issues. Not tempting fate with my handwriting.
YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback @Tanks @Hogpatrol

While I don't want to spend the time I may go ahead and get it redone then.... The more I think about it the less I want to chance it.

Thanks for the feedback @Tanks @Hogpatrol

While I don't want to spend the time I may go ahead and get it redone then.... The more I think about it the less I want to chance it.

Contact your CBP office first and see what they want you to do as far as typing in the information. The first time I did it at my office they took my information upstairs and wrote it out on another form.

I'm not sure what they would do if you told them that a airline wanted it typed out, not to mention that another country requires the "expiration date" to be the current year. When I first mentioned the year thing to my closest office they just told me that the 4457 is for US use and they could care less about any other country.

I just got back a couple weeks ago and here is what we had. My 4457 was not typed, however, they did want a copy of SAP permit going over and a copy of 4457 coming home. There is also a declaration of surrender of firearms that you have to have and can be filled out before you get to airport, just don’t sign it until you are at check in with them witnessing. You will have to have this both ways and filling it out before will save you about 45 minutes. They also made us unpack ammo and weighed it and weighed rifle cases separately.

I’ll be quiet honest, I did not use a travel agent but if I ever have to fly Qatar again I will either not take my own rifles or will use a travel agent. My plan as of now will be to NOT fly Qatar again unless they are the only game in town. All in all once you get through the firearms difficulties enjoy your trip!

This dog and pony show that seems to change every year could be eliminated. The US consulate in those countries could explain to the African nations that the 4457 is simply proof of ownership when departing the US and on their return. Not a license or permit and dates mean nothing. But, the US is not going to make it any easier to travel to hunt with firearms. Surely their must be someone in these African Nations that could understand. What a 4457 truly is. My last trip thru JNB I was requested if the number on the form was my license number..my reply...yes.....it was the OMB form number, but who cares if it is what they require. But..it is..what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg