New CBP form 4457 expiring 2020 - Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad

BnC 04

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Folks,
Just an update that CBP has updated the 4457's with a new expiration year of 2022.
Nathan

Here is the link to the form at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP): https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/form-4457-certificate-registration-personal-effects-taken-abroad

Or find attached the pdf file for the Form 4457 with Expiration Date: 09/30/2022 - Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad.

Screenshot_20190917-202100.png

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457.pdf
    560.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing this!

Glad to atleast know come Jan i will be making a quick trip into Nashville with the new form.

Does anyone know if there’s a later date of this form that expires later than sept 30 2022. Stinks it only lasts a year. It’s a pain to bring rifles and get this signed off.

Does anyone know if there’s a later date of this form that expires later than sept 30 2022. Stinks it only lasts a year. It’s a pain to bring rifles and get this signed off.
Nope that's the latest and greatest.

For RSA it must be done annually anyway so the 4457 expiration date is not relevant. For other countries yes it would be nice to have a later expiration date, especially since they don’t actually expire!

Thank you for posting the PDF!

Reviving an old thread but pertinent for those traveling this year, I went and got new 4457s for an upcoming trip to RSA. Multiple trips for new ones, I always fill them out at the customs office and shoot the breeze with the guys while they verify the serial numbers and enter the info in to the system. This time, the regular guy didn't do them and I didn't look at the dates on the forms when I filled them out nor before leaving the .customs office. The last ones I got in 2018 had the valid expiration date. The pic is one of the most recent ones. Note the date. I made a return trip today with the online versions in hand, dated 2022. So just a heads up, if you fill them out at customs check the dates.

IMG_20210329_132302456.jpg

Add on to the above post, if taking QATAR or Airlink, they want typewritten forms, not handwritten ones.

Add on to the above post, if taking QATAR or Airlink, they want typewritten forms, not handwritten ones.

Is that something new with Qatar?? We flew to Namibia in 2019 on Qatar and they didn’t have a problem with our hand written 4457’s.

Is that something new with Qatar?? We flew to Namibia in 2019 on Qatar and they didn’t have a problem with our hand written 4457’s.
I didn't know the airlines wanted that info but got that from Gracy Travel.

Cripes!
I went to to the ABQ Airport Customs officer yesterday to get mine current.

Waited 40 minutes and no one would come to the window to wait on me.

Finally had to raise a bit of a ruckus (just verbally) and a guy finally came over.

He first argued I didn't need last year's forms redone since the expiration was 9/2022. Finally convinced him RSA requires. But instead of fresh forms he handed me some machine copies and told me to fill them out. He then checked and completed, signing the scribbled 4457s.
(A younger CBP guy typed them up from my hand written 4457s last year.)

Got home and double checked everything - and the new forms are Missing The Expiration Date Completely. [EXPLETIVES DELETED.]

I've since printed out my on fresh forms (Sept 2022 expry) and filled out by hand.

Is there some software that will allow me to type data into a pdf file - so I can get the done properly ?

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457.pdf
    560.3 KB · Views: 152
So I’m hunting SA and Zimbabwe in July and August. I’m totally confused by these posts. What date do I need on my 4457 and does it need to be typed for my airlink flight to Zimbabwe from JNB. I’ve done this before and this must be totally new procedure. Help!!

Go to the above link...type in your info....name..as per you passport.....address...description of firearm. Brand, calibers model, serial number....all this on your computer...print it and have CBP document. Make numerous copies, carry the with you.

Thanks
I can do that. Always used hand written form before. Should I use the expire sept 2021 or sept 2022 form for my trip to SA and Zim?

Always use the latest expiration

2022 and for South Africa it needs to be dated within 6 months of the trip

Download this page below, the PDF file, and type in your info. It's not write protected. Then print it and get it stamped & signed. OT, Qatar wants them typed, not handwritten.

Thanks @Hogpatrol

I finally got it to work - and typed in my data and printed for two rifles.

The issue was my version of Adobe Acrobat. I downloaded and installed the current (free) version on my PC and all went smooth...

As a side note - if you have downloaded the 4457 pdf file, tinkered with it - and then saved - you may need to start over with a fresh download.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg