new cartridge

If you're ever lost in the outback, say these words to make @Bob Nelson 35Whelen appear: "I have this .243 Win that I'm fed up with. I wonder what I should get instead?"
@Forrest Halley
I would leave you there because you didn't have enough brains not to take a 243 in the new first place.
If'n they took a 25 with them in the first place you would never hear that question.
Bob

Yeah, these ancient cartridges like the .375 H and H and .458 WM seem to have some ammo and brass available most everywhere on-line. GB has a lot of stuff even now, but try and find Lott or .375 something else, and good luck. I guess longevity has it's benefits?
@CoElkHunter
I bet they have plenty of 25 and 35 cal projectiles cheap as well because only the enlightened who know the real benefit of these use them
Bob

That's why they've created massive, loud muzzle brakes. They make that RUM recoil feel like a .270 or less and clear the timid from the benches around you at the range. Then, when your hunting, take it off and put the thread protector on it. I don't own a brake, but then I don't own a nasty recoiling .375 RUM, only a milder recoiling Lott. Ha! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
If'n you don't own a brake how do you stop your car ya Muppet.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob

chris,
i agree with all you say except about the cartridges.
with regards killing anuimals we have a moral resposibility to minimize suffering, and self education is an important aspect of this.
putting 1000yd ballistics on an ammo packet is absolutely irresponsible.
i still stand by my statement re observed killing power of calibres..
at the risk of offending bob, i feel that 6.5/06 is a better killer than 25/06, 270 better than 6.5, and 280 rem better than 270 win.
when culling sometimes this comes down to tally vs rounds fired, but it also comes down to bangflops.
this is not theorizing, but rather in the field experience.
i cannot say it is energy related or bullet diameter related, or other.
using the wrong bullet in the 7mm is far less critical than doing it in 25 cal.
also the bigger calibres mentioned here have the benefit of the same bullet working better for a greater span of distances.
of course the 30/06 is better than them all in some ways, but when compared to the trajectory of the 25/06 at the other extreme starts to suffer trajectory issues if you hunt in certain conditions.
with all these rounds mentioned, i am talking purely shots at point blank rage and no more.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I partially agree with your statement about the 6.5, 270 and 7mms killing better than the 25s. If velocities are similar then yes they do but when the 25s are started at up to 300 to 400 fps faster then it's a different story.
It's a bit like saying a 308 win will kill as well as a 300 Weatherby way out yonder.
Bob

What's wrong Bob?
The mention of your name and 243WIN in the same sentence making the keyboard go blurry on you? ;)
@BeeMaa
On my keyboard I have managed to block those 3 numbers. When I do have to use them I have them stored elsewhere and just cut and paste to use them
Bob.

If @Bob Nelson 35Whelen were to end up in hell, it would be a vast hunting landscape with no food readily available and he'd have to kill his food with a .243 for the rest of eternity. Bob would be sitting there one hungry pilgrim for eternity.
@Forrest Halley
I'd even have to turn vegetarian and drink lates with the yuppie set after I have my man Bun fixed.
Luckily I'm a good boy and will go to 25 and 35 heaven.
Bob

bob,
your latte manbun comment raises a valid point.
could anything be worse than going to the afterlife than a 243?
this rears the ugly head of the 6.5 creedmoor.
just goes to show satan can come up with something even worse.
bruce.

@Forrest Halley
I'd even have to turn vegetarian and drink lates with the yuppie set after I have my man Bun fixed.
Luckily I'm a good boy and will go to 25 and 35 heaven.
Bob
This is why I like this guy. He is a true gentleman who jokes well with folks.

@CoElkHunter
I bet they have plenty of 25 and 35 cal projectiles cheap as well because only the enlightened who know the real benefit of these use them
Bob
Bob,
Nope, those are all gone. But they still have plenty of .243 bullets left. Do you want 100gr or 95gr? I can send them to you via a “slow boat to China “ with a stop in OZ? Let me know?
CEH

This is why I like this guy. He is a true gentleman who jokes well with folks.
Forrest,
I completely agree. Bob Nelson 35Whelen is a legend..... in his own mind! Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH

If @Bob Nelson 35Whelen were to end up in hell, it would be a vast hunting landscape with no food readily available and he'd have to kill his food with a .243 for the rest of eternity. Bob would be sitting there one hungry pilgrim for eternity.
Ha! Ha! Especially when he couldn’t find ammo for it!

@CoElkHunter
If'n you don't own a brake how do you stop your car ya Muppet.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob
Bob,
don’t need no stinking “break”. And I have to take a “brake” from this forum occasionally to catch my breath and take some Tylenol due to the migraines I get from reading some of this stuff on here! But, at least the fun and excitement here keeps me awake in the middle of the night when I’m working. Ha! Ha!
CEH

Seems like a reasonable idea. Got to have a 6.something these days. A 7mm just won't do any more. All cynicism aside, it at least seems well thought-out.

If a cartridge is still around after 30 or 40 years, I feel pretty confident it will be supported indefinitely. Can't really what is going to be a classic and what will be a flash in the pan. I don't have enough years left in me for new cartridges to earn a place in my cabinet.
Well, there’s a number of “flash in the pan” cartridges created in the early 2000s that are becoming extinct. Think the WSSM and SAUM family of cartridges. Sure, they have their niche with their devotees, but they were a solution to a problem that didn’t exist with cartridges available at the time. And, more flash in the pans’ coming soon to a dealer near you! I can’t wait!

I am partial to 100 year old guns and cartridges like 30-06, 303 british, 9.3x62, 35 rem 30 rem. 9x56 MS, my not quite a hundred 250-3000 savage.
Bob,
Nope, those are all gone. But they still have plenty of .243 bullets left. Do you want 100gr or 95gr? I can send them to you via a “slow boat to China “ with a stop in OZ? Let me know?
CEH
Fine bullets for groundhogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.