New allround knife?

This is my great companion of all my hunts, I use it to cut my food, gut and trim what I hunt, it helps me cut branches, etc.

http://postimg.cc/ygNsN6Ms

Attachments

• KA-BAR2.jpg
    KA-BAR2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 86
My new knife made by my good friend Ted Mitchell. The blade steel is Sandvik 14c 28n I think Von Gruff will correct me if I'm wrong and the scales are off a deer Ted shot.
Bob
20200720_112338.jpg

Ted calls it a mini Skinner and it won't be remade a one off.

I was thinking it reminded me a little of the Grohman blade you showed.
A .243 cartridge head inlay would set you off nicely!

I was thinking it reminded me a little of the Grohman blade you showed.
A .243 cartridge head inlay would set you off nicely!
@CBH Australia
Chris I think you may have had a bit much Bundy mate. It's the only reason I can think of for recommending a 243 inlay in my knife. Now if it was a 404, 425, 375 or 300 H&H then I may consider it if it fitted.
Bob.

Im surprised a .35 Whelen headstamp didnt get a mention.

My own home made knife (first ever). It has accompanied me on many adventures. I made it from O1 tool steel and it is currently wearing a giraffe horn handle from a skull I found.

IMG_2544.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, He is always hating on the .243
@CBH Australia
Nah don't hate it mate just can't see any use for it. The 224s will do with bullets up to 70 grains what the 243 will and the 25s will chew it up from 87 to 120grains, so what useful purpose does it serve. Why have a 243 when you can have 2 rifles. A good 224 and a better 25.
Bob

My own home made knife (first ever). It has accompanied me on many adventures. I made it from O1 tool steel and it is currently wearing a giraffe horn handle from a skull I found.

View attachment 359315View attachment 359316
That is an intersting choice. I have used the giraffe bone but not the horn. Very nice colour change with the spots as well. Nice simple design that will cover a great deal of all knife needs in the field and not unlike my bushcraft hunter with the scandi grind on O1.

That is an intersting choice. I have used the giraffe bone but not the horn. Very nice colour change with the spots as well. Nice simple design that will cover a great deal of all knife needs in the field and not unlike my bushcraft hunter with the scandi grind on O1.

The ‘horn’ bone is extremely dense and heavy (probably from a life time of fighting) and should make a durable handle. I do like drop point designs and keep coming back to them when I’m sketching knives. The scandi grind is easy to maintain in the field with a small stone and O1 was easy to work and forge in my powerless garden shed.
I’m definitely keeping my eyes open for another giraffe bull skull.

All the best.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.20 AM.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.22 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.25 AM.png
    5 MB · Views: 63

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you