New allround knife?

This is my great companion of all my hunts, I use it to cut my food, gut and trim what I hunt, it helps me cut branches, etc.

http://postimg.cc/ygNsN6Ms
 

Attachments

  • KA-BAR2.jpg
    KA-BAR2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 202
My new knife made by my good friend Ted Mitchell. The blade steel is Sandvik 14c 28n I think Von Gruff will correct me if I'm wrong and the scales are off a deer Ted shot.
Bob
20200720_112338.jpg

Ted calls it a mini Skinner and it won't be remade a one off.
 
I was thinking it reminded me a little of the Grohman blade you showed.
A .243 cartridge head inlay would set you off nicely!
 
I was thinking it reminded me a little of the Grohman blade you showed.
A .243 cartridge head inlay would set you off nicely!
@CBH Australia
Chris I think you may have had a bit much Bundy mate. It's the only reason I can think of for recommending a 243 inlay in my knife. Now if it was a 404, 425, 375 or 300 H&H then I may consider it if it fitted.
Bob.
 
Im surprised a .35 Whelen headstamp didnt get a mention.
 
My own home made knife (first ever). It has accompanied me on many adventures. I made it from O1 tool steel and it is currently wearing a giraffe horn handle from a skull I found.

IMG_2544.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, He is always hating on the .243
@CBH Australia
Nah don't hate it mate just can't see any use for it. The 224s will do with bullets up to 70 grains what the 243 will and the 25s will chew it up from 87 to 120grains, so what useful purpose does it serve. Why have a 243 when you can have 2 rifles. A good 224 and a better 25.
Bob
 
My own home made knife (first ever). It has accompanied me on many adventures. I made it from O1 tool steel and it is currently wearing a giraffe horn handle from a skull I found.

View attachment 359315View attachment 359316
That is an intersting choice. I have used the giraffe bone but not the horn. Very nice colour change with the spots as well. Nice simple design that will cover a great deal of all knife needs in the field and not unlike my bushcraft hunter with the scandi grind on O1.
 
That is an intersting choice. I have used the giraffe bone but not the horn. Very nice colour change with the spots as well. Nice simple design that will cover a great deal of all knife needs in the field and not unlike my bushcraft hunter with the scandi grind on O1.

The ‘horn’ bone is extremely dense and heavy (probably from a life time of fighting) and should make a durable handle. I do like drop point designs and keep coming back to them when I’m sketching knives. The scandi grind is easy to maintain in the field with a small stone and O1 was easy to work and forge in my powerless garden shed.
I’m definitely keeping my eyes open for another giraffe bull skull.

All the best.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.20 AM.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 165
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.22 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 167
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.37.25 AM.png
    5 MB · Views: 142

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,238
Members
169,511
Latest member
ChaunceySp
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top